Powder Question

I am in a quandary. I have not been reloading long but came up with an awesome load for my 38 super and 9mm using Bullseye  powder. Now I cant find any.

What is going to be close to Bullseye

and where could I find some

Im looking to get into casting since bullets are so hard to find.

What lead is best to protect the barrels or is there a difference in lead

I have read a bunch of posts on casting and looking forward to Gordons step by step tutorial  

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best next step is to PM Caster or Dolomite (Gordon).  .38 Super would likely benefit from the powder coating work Dolo's been posting about, though that's incidental.  Either should be able to help with powder and casting questions; the ultimate powder authority (and all other things reloading) on TGO is dlm37015.  You could contact him as well.

If you are going to shoot pistol only grab wheel weights. They work fine. Make sure to cut each weight with a set of loppers to weed out the zinc weights. Use Lee Alox to lube.

And use precautions when casting and handing.

Caster is the go to guy for casting but it is pretty easy.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
At the risk of sounding lazy, go check out my 'lead thread' in the reloading social group.

I don't know much about the 38 super but I bet you Unique will get you satisfactory results. If ANYONE doesn't have Unique in their inventory, go buy it!
It doesn't do anything perfect but it'll do a decent job with anything. I mean anything. I've loaded 9x19 with it and I currently load 30/30, .308 Winchester and .300 blackout with it. I'll soon be using it to load some cast boolits in my CZ527 chambered in .223.

David happens to be an aficionado of .38 Super so if he says slower powders work, that'd be where I begin. Looks like Lil'gun will get you somewhere. Find data at Hodgdons website and start there.

I have used HS-6 successfully in .38 Super.  It burns at about the same rate as Unique (if indeed that means anything) but meters like it was water.  Winchester small primers or CCI magnum small primers get good ignition.

Some gun dancers (IDPA, itsapig, etc) swear by N105, AA7 and VV 3N38 for major power factor in .38 Super.  No personal knowledge with these powders but Professional gun dancers are never wrong.  Just ask one.  Guns and leather in Hendersonville had AA7 on Saturday.

Edited by jaysouth
I know you can load 147 grain 9mm bullets to 1,200+ fps using VV 3N38. It is even in their load manual. I shot a lot of these in a G17 and they showed no signs of pressure. No smilies either.

You could tell a difference between a full and empty gun. The last round in the mag felt like a 357 magnum.