Dimensions of standard deposit box

greyofk

I believe standard deposit box in every bank (in the US) has the same size. They call it 6", but it is actually smaller.

I know that Taurus PT92 frame does not fit inside such box.

Please share your experience:

What pistol's frame (with all internals) fits standard deposit box.

My wife's bank has three sizes :small medium and large.the smallest is about four inches. She was telling me that it is their policy to not allow pistols in the boxes. She didn't know if this is a bank rule or a fed rule.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

My wife's bank has three sizes :small medium and large.the smallest is about four inches. She was telling me that it is their policy to not allow pistols in the boxes. She didn't know if this is a bank rule or a fed rule.

What they don't know is in the box won't hurt them.  Also as I understand they aren't allowed to open the boxes?

the sizes vary.   You can get one that will hold ANY normal pistol -- probably even an AR pistol will go in the big ones.

Far as I know they can only open them if there is a dispute about the owner (deceased, court order, etc) or if the rent is not paid for a long period, etc.

Far as I know you can store anything in them unless otherwise told by that bank. 

What they don't know is in the box won't hurt them. Also as I understand they aren't allowed to open the boxes?

right, but they watch people when they use them.at least where she is they do. Personally I don't care what's in the box. The size we have woild hold a full size 1911.

right, but they watch people when they use them.at least where she is they do. Personally I don't care what's in the box. The size we have woild hold a full size 1911.

They do not all do this, ours leaves you in the room alone, or did last time I went which was some time ago.

• Like 1

Being in the room when someone is in possession on their box is strictly forbidden. Knowing the contents of any persons box raises a question of liability were anything to happen and the box be compromised during any "unpleasant" issues the bank may have to endure. If this is happening where your wife banks, I would change banks. The purpose of these boxes is a private place to keep valuables. The box is FDIC insured for an amount agreed upon when the box is rented, not for the contents. For any bank to be doing this is unscrupulous and brings other activities of the bank into question.

• Like 2

Being in the room when someone is in possession on their box is strictly forbidden. Knowing the contents of any persons box raises a question of liability were anything to happen and the box be compromised during any "unpleasant" issues the bank may have to endure. If this is happening where your wife banks, I would change banks. The purpose of these boxes is a private place to keep valuables. The box is FDIC insured for an amount agreed upon when the box is rented, not for the contents. For any bank to be doing this is unscrupulous and brings other activities of the bank into question.

Never heard of this. I checked FDIC website and it says they are not insured. I think that each bank sets their own policies. 

I'm with you in the fact I don't want anyone looking over my shoulder. That is why I choose a mayo jar buried in the back yard for all important items!

The question was about small box. They call it 6". It is quite long but narrow and shallow. The opening on the top is even smaller then its width
What is the heights of Ruger Standard?

I think I remember reading that Suntrust were 5"x5"x20".

The smallest boxes will not hold a full-size handgun.  They are only about 3"x5", but there are larger ones available.  I know that many banks do prohibit you from storing firearms in them (I presume it is a liability concern for them).  Also, I have never seen a bank employee watch me access the contents.  Most banks provide a private ante room for you.  

If one was considering keeping a firearm in there for an emergency, I would personally find a different method for storing it.  If the bank closes, the power is out, you need access on a weekend, evening, or holiday, etc. you are screwed.  I'd just seal it up in a waterproof container and hide it somewhere like an attic, inside a wall, buried in the yard, or in a hayfield next to a rock fence under an oak tree with a large piece of black volcanic glass on top of it.  

• Like 1

That sounds like something out of a Rober Frost poem....

My "free" box at BofA is small. About 2 x 5 x however deep those things go. I can keep CDs/DVDs in there, but they don't lay flat in a jewel case, sort of tilted against one side. A G26-sized pistola would probably fit OK. An LCP would fit.

Edited by monkeylizard