Tn. Vehicle emissions testing

Well, without counting them up,  30 counties or more abut the counties that require the testing, but only 7 counties total require it. So for whatever reason, that's the fact.

Knoxville is the third largest city in the state. If you mean "metro government" where city/county is consolidated, by "metropolis". It's true we don't have that. But neither do some of the other counties that require the emissions.

So sure seems you've been given at least partially erroneous info from those officials. Probably the first time that's ever happened in this state. :)

- OS

Yes, i was referring to a Metropolitan government. Generally speaking they are thicker with smog than smaller cities/areas but we know that this isn't always the case. There's obviously some catch to who they require to and who they don't but i'm almost positive Rutherford county doesn't do it voluntarily.

• Moderators

If I understand local events correctly, right now there is no emission testing in Shelby County. Prior to the end of June it was only required by Memphis City residents and was funded by the city. They chose to end funding (cause we are broke) and turn it over to the county. Shelby county said "we don't want to pay for it either" and refused to take it over. Now it is up to the state and that looks like it will take at least 1-2 years to implement. Charlie Foxtrot as always.

This is correct. Basically City of memphis tried another power play, Well, if we have to do inspections, why can't county. so they tried to make the county do it and basically the county said F you. and that is where we stand right now. Although i believe the city had a policy in place if you had a car the was like 2 years or newer, you got a pass.

Oh, and for those in memphis, lets not forget about that "one time" wheel tax. I find it amazing what memphis is doing. They are not funding a school system anymore, they are not doing emissions any more, and guess what. Taxes are still going up....someone is getting paid off.

Yeah, what some of these other folks are saying their tags run them makes me sick. $106 for my last set. At least it isn't Mississippi.

Depends where you are here in Franklin county we don't. Which is really nice with all the emission crap my truck had on it.

I see what you did there.  I am in the same boat.

Be glad it's only $20 though. In KY we had to pay 1% of the vehicle's value as a usage tax during registration every year.

I feel states that make you pay a tax yearly based on the value of your vehicle is just crazy.  In short, you have to pay more to drive nice things.

It's against my religion to get more than 11mpg ... (there is a religious exemption right?)

I am right there with you.  Find a way for us to sign up.  

Heck my truck should be grandfathered in at least.  Hell it is 23 years old.