1911 9MM Mags/1911 38 Super Mags--Interchangeable?

Recently picked up a 9mm 1911 from Glock-n-Load, and while researching the platform, I ran across several comments on other forums indicating that the 1911 38Super mags could be used for the 9mm.

I'd like to hear from the more knowledgable guys on this. I have several mags for the 38super and wondered if this was true, feasible, or advisable?

Thanks for the comments.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the great thing about 1911 mags, they can be used on just about anything. When I had my Springfield Omega I used .45ACP mags and mine was a 10mm. Try it out, the worst that can happen are some FTF's.

And how does that prove they do or don't work?

I thought that is what 1911s do normally?

Sorry, I am a Glock guy, I couldn't resist.

I don't have one, but what I've read is that sometimes it's fine, other times it's spotty at best. Largely depends on how well your pistol gets along with the magazines you have.

38 super is longer, has a larger case head diameter, and slightly larger bell diameter.

Me, I'd just give it a try at the range. Worst case scenario: you get extra range time with some feed problems, get to practice FTF drills, then go buy some 9mm magazines.

Now that's the kind of feedback I was looking for!  Thanks cjOe.

That's pretty much been my thoughts and plans, but just thought someone here might have done this or been with someone who had and have some insight on it.

• Admin Team

If you're using a 9mm round with a shorter OAL, you may experience some problems with the 38 Super mags.  9mm-specific magazines typically have a spacer in them to allow the shorter rounds to bridge the gap - so to speak. 

I wouldn't bet my life on it running reliably in that setup, but for casual use it shouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks, MacGyver. That's the type of information again I needed. I did think of the cartridge length issues, but the threads on sites other than here, didn't speak to that.

I have loaded mags and manually chambered rounds thru them in RIA 1911 with some Colt and Taurus 38Super mags successfully manually ejecting them without issue.

But not actually tried firing them yet. That will be the ultimate test.

Although in general, I'm not fond of Kimber mags; I'm beginning to think more and more of buying some 9mil specific mags.

Edited by hipower

I used to have a 9mm, 5" Kimber that actually ran better with 38Super mags vs 9mm mags.

38Super Metalforms were always 100% reliable for me.

That said, these days there are much better 9mm mag offerings available as opposed to back then.

Edited by TN-popo

Hope this helps...I'm running a double stack 1911 in 9mm and 22tcm. Both run out of a double stack 38 sup mag. So in my case, yes is works fine

My RIA is a single stack model, but still good to know it works for you.

I used to have a 9mm, 5" Kimber that actually ran better with 38Super mags vs 9mm mags.

38Super Metalforms were always 100% reliable for me.

That said, these days there are much better 9mm mag offerings available as opposed to back then.

Now that interesting hear. Did you have the Kimber mags initially? I was looking at the Metalform mags since  I had reservations about the Kimbers. Those concerns stem from owning 2 Kimber 1911 45s and having feeding problems with the factory mags.  Changed to Wilson and McCormick mags and removed all problems. 

Were the 38Super mags Kimber or Metalform? 

And if I might ask, what would you recommend for this Rock Island 9mm, magwise?

And just for clarification here, I haven't owned a RIA or a 1911 FS in 9mm before. So this is all very new territory for me.

I had a couple different brands of 9mm mags at the time.  The only brand I remember for sure was the Springfield OEM ones and they were not 100% reliable.

The .38Super mags were Metalform and I never had a bit of trouble.  100% with at least 1000 rounds.

This was just before Wilson came out with 9mm mags, though.

I would not hesitate to use .38Super mags based on my experience...however, if I were buying mags today, I'd probably start out with 9mm Wilsons.

Edited by TN-popo