Kel Tec vs Ruger LCP

big mo

Just woundering what all the hype is on the Ruger LCP??? It looks like my Kel Tec P3at's twin. They look the same just with different names stamped on them. And they cost at least $130+ more than the P3at. I paid $190 for my Kel Tec a couple years ago.

I really like my Kel Tec P3at. With the belt clip, you don't know it's there. Although I'm not a Kel Tec handgun guy at all, but the P3at and P32 are great. Of course they are just for back-up, or ccw, no fun at the range.

I have not shot a LCP so I'm not knocking it. I did see one at the show last weekend. So guys help me out what's all the hype on the LCP???

Edited by big mo
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

Obviously, the LCP is better because it's not a Kel-Tec. At least that's pretty much what I've seen people use as their "argument." I guess that's all the proof they need.

Guest janwbrown616

Well, I've shot and carried both. There is nothing really wrong with the Kel Tec. The LCP fits my hand better, it seems to be a little better made, I like the loaded chamber indicator on the LCP and the slide lock. (Although the LCP does not lock back after the last shot.) The finish on the LCP appears to be better and the magazines are a little stronger.

As for shooting, I've only shot each about 100 rounds. I shoot better with the LCP, and that's probably because the grip is a little more comfortable for me.

As for price, they both are about the same. Except for the occasional owner who thinks he can get 20 or 30 bucks more. (and he can).

But, there is nothing really wrong with the Kel tec.

To each his own....

Guest bazookazilla

Please let us know what you decide to do as I am in the same area myself. I have a couple of pistols, but from time to time carrying them simply feels like too much of a hassle. I feel I should carry more often, and a much smaller, easier to "install" pistol would probably be carried more often.

Obviously, the LCP is better because it's not a Kel-Tec. At least that's pretty much what I've seen people use as their "argument." I guess that's all the proof they need.

but a Ruger is better than a Kel Tec? no flames intended or needed, i'm not a "brand loyal" type of person. what makes one brand "better" to you may indeed make it a "worse" brand to me...judging guns by the brand is like judging people by there in-laws...not a good practice at all.

honestly, i've got several Kel Tecs and i love them all. my P3AT is irreplaceable IMHO... even when i'm carrying a larger firearm, the P3AT is in my pocket...

Guest rufusgooch

I have a LCP: I have shot a KEL tec. The Ruger has a heaver feel. The ruger shoots tighter. 3 inches at 10 yrds. 4 1/2 for the kel tec ; still a kill. Both are good cc weapons. The ruger is just an rch better.

The Ruger is a little smoother and purtier, but will always be the Little Copy Pistol (LCP) in my mind. I think Ruger stole the design, and ought to pay royalities to Kel-Tec, just to be gentlemanly.

Little Copy Pistol (LCP).......:popcorn::)........LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Guest m14man

just get the one that feels best in your hand, who cares who copied who, you get down to it, gun companys always copy. Look at all the glock copies but no complains about them, i do own a glock copy, but its still a copy. it fits me better and im glad they made it. dont understand why everyone knocks rugar im happy to have another gun model for sale.

Edited by m14man

There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two guns. According to specs, the LCP is a tiny bit shorter in overall length but a little taller and wider. The P3AT is flatter. Normally I much prefer that in a IWB gun, but I carry it in my back pocket in a pocket holster. Whether that is a disadvantage for the LCP will have to be examined. I don't think the height difference would make a difference but the width might. The LCP does weigh a bit more than an ounce more than the P3AT. Again, I'm not sure if that is significant.

But as has been mentioned here, it looks like the people who prefer the LCP like the Ruger name better than the Kel-Tec one and that plays a role in selection. The LCP does appear to be a bit more stylish. Then again, the Ruger styling looks a lot like my 25 caliber Sterling.

I do think it is interesting that Ruger chose to use an extractor like Kel-Tec's old original design. But both work.

I don't have too much of a problem with Ruger copying the Kel-Tec design although this is a bit blatant. I did have a problem with Ruger talking about how innovative they had been in designing their new little handgun. I got turned off by the obvious hucksterism.

So they are awfully close in the race for my gun dollars, although the P3AT is a little less expensive. I'd probably go with the P3AT because it is narrower, flatter and lighter. Plus I like to reward actual innovation rather than copycatting. But nothing stands out making either of the little guns an obviously better choice.

I hope the LCP feels better in the hand. I want to like the kel-tec, but it does not feel right.

That's not a concern of mine. Neither is going to be a "comfortable" handgun. If you want something that feels good in the hand, you need a bigger gun.

The LCP / P3AT are guns that are for close range use and which are easily concealable.

Guest eyebedam
I hope the LCP feels better in the hand. I want to like the kel-tec, but it does not feel right.

The LCP does feel better in the hand. I carry mine in my back pocket in a Deasntsis nemesis pocket holster with no issues at all.

Guest quickdraw mcgraw

I have both the Ruger LCP and Kel Tec P3AT. The Ruger is a little more smooth in design. They both shoot well . If I had to choose one it really would not matter although I believe the Ruger will hold its value a little better. I do have a question for those of you who have or know a little on the LCP, mine has a chromed slide with the Ruger in red on the grips. It is not like most that I have seen. Any info would be appreciated,Thanks!

...I do have a question for those of you who have or know a little on the LCP, mine has a chromed slide with the Ruger in red on the grips. It is not like most that I have seen. Any info would be appreciated,Thanks!

Ruger doesn't even show a LCP with chromed slide option onsite.

Where did you get it?

Not to doubt you, but can you post a pic? Would love to see it.

- OS

That's not a concern of mine. Neither is going to be a "comfortable" handgun. If you want something that feels good in the hand, you need a bigger gun.

The LCP / P3AT are guns that are for close range use and which are easily concealable.

That's why I said 'better'. I don't expect them to be as comfortable as a full size.