Ya'lls opinions please.... Which to buy?

Guest jps37033

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will break my situation down a bit more:

I had all the guns I needed until my wife asked me to sell them when our son was going thru the "get into everything" stage. So i did (dont laugh:)

About a week ago, we had two succesive attempted burglars. ( and we are way out in the country ). Now she wants me to get a gun :):D

So, I am looking for #1 home defense, #2 I like shooting alot (so ammo costs), and #3 something thats not like toting a chainsaw if I take it somewhere.

I am a firm believer that a gun companies customer service is important, but I'd rather have a good weapon that wont need customer service/warranty. A gun in the shop, or waiting on a new pin is worthless for home defense. Now, i hear that taurus has great customer service, and they need it. From what I read, its a 50/50 split on the good and bad. And most of them complain of Pin failures.

Should I just spend the extra and go for an XD, Glock, or other?

P.S I had a ruger p94 that I loved, but it played into that "Toting a chainsaw sized weapon" category.

M&P and also an alarm system. I can recommend a good company:D.

The only one I have had hands on experience with is a Bersa Thunder Duo Tone in 380 ACP. Never had a problem with it, ammo and mags were expensive. Only reason I got rid of it is that I have gone to 40 S&W as my handgun caliber.

Not quite as small but good handguns are the Glock sub-compacts, CZ 75 compact.

Guest Boomhower

Guns112407-1web.jpg

That is soooooooo wrong.....But it feels sooooooo good!!!

M&P and also an alarm system. I can recommend a good company:D.

I'm your Huckleberry.......Who might this be you speak of, "drALARMS"?

Guest Sancman

Go to a range where you can rent a pistol and try some of them out, finding what you both feel comfortable shooting, I mean "BOTH" if you feel comfortable with a 45ACP and it makes your wife want to drop it and run.....she'll never practice with it.

Better yet get one that you feel comfortable with and get her one she feels comfortable with.

I have several and feel comfortable with a 9mm, 40 S&W or a 45ACP, my wife doesn't like semi auto's so I got her a Ruger SP101 and have it loaded with 38 special +P's

One other thing, don't just shoot the one or one's you decide on once a year, I try to go at least once or twice a month, taking the wife also. She'll go about every other time so.......

Edited by Sancman
Guest m4coyote

I own a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm and it has been extremely reliable. I like the manual safety, the 17 rnd capacity, and it has a great trigger. It will be tough to beat at the asking price - $340.00 - $350.00 for a new one.

Glocks are very proven pistols, and I have owned several. The 23 has always been one of my favorites, but I replaced my 23 with a 19 because I can practice a lot more with the 9mm for the same price.

If the lack of a manual safety does not bother you, then the Glock is very hard to beat.

Guest rufusgooch

I carry a beretta 9000/40. First time my wife shot it, she sat it down and said NO. Started her with a bersa 380 dou tone 7+1. New 209. at cabelas. Moved her the Bersa 380 concealed carry 8+1. She loved the 380. I recently purchased a ruger lcp. I don't have to tell you where it is now. At 25 ft. the 380 with cor-bon hp will stop anything. Get her a gun she is comfortable shooting. Teach her to shoot 2/1 and don't ever piss her off.

No need to have to choose... get them all. :P

Guns112407-1web.jpg

Dave,

Is that a 686 top right? if so how do you like it? I have been wanting one of those with a 2 to 2.5 inch barrel for a while, I am definately going with Smith and Wesson on my first wheel gun purchase as they are in my opinion the best on the market,

Dave,

Is that a 686 top right? if so how do you like it? I have been wanting one of those with a 2 to 2.5 inch barrel for a while, I am definately going with Smith and Wesson on my first wheel gun purchase as they are in my opinion the best on the market,

No, that’s a 2 ½†66. It took a long time to find that and I finally got it from a forum member here. It is a great shooter for a 2 ½â€. I love my L-frames but prefer the K-frames for carry.

K-Frame was the S&W standard forever when LEO’s were carrying revolvers. But some claimed problems shooting magnums. They were shooting light (110 to 125 GR.) magnums and had forcing cone problems and flame cutting of the top strap. I never had any problems but I always used 158 grain. Some of the K-frames are the Model 19, 66, 10, 15, etc.

So about early 1980’s S&W came out with the L-frame (586, 686). Beefier frame, with a full lower lug. Then later they added an additional chamber; 7 shot. Of all my guns my 4†686 holds the place on the headboard of the bed. Easy to shoot for the wife, even with full house .357Mags.

N-frames are even bigger frames. Model 27, 28, 29, 625, etc. I never got into those. I carried one on duty and it was just too big and bulky. But they are very popular.

J-frames are the little guys. Extremely easy to conceal revolvers like the model 36 in my picture. 5 shots of .38 or .357Mag (in some models). The steel and stainless guns aren’t too bad, but the aluminum and titanium models are brutal to shoot with .357Mag. Probably the most popular of the highly concealable guns.

Smith & Wesson M&P .45 ACP Auto Pistol

by Jeff Quinn of Gun Blast

have fired several M&P pistols since their introduction, and I like the design very much. I have been to the factory and seen them being built. I liked the M&P enough that I replaced my old Glock 19 with the 9mm M&P. This .45 ACP version is a great addition to the line. In my opinion, it is the best choice available in a polymer-framed .45 ACP fighting pistol. It is built in America by Americans working for an American company. I realize that Gunblast.com is read worldwide, and even translated in some Eastern European country to a Slavic language, so the previous sentence will mean little to some of you. However, to me, American made is important, if I have a choice. I own several foreign-made weapons, and they are very good. In fact, every one of the competitors on the market to this M&P pistol are also good weapons, but I think that the M&P is superior to its competition, at least at this time. This type of combat pistol is still developing and advancing, but for now, the M&P is state-of-the-art, and is my choice.

It is built in America by Americans working for an American company. I realize that Gunblast.com is read worldwide, and even translated in some Eastern European country to a Slavic language, so the previous sentence will mean little to some of you. However, to me, American made is important, if I have a choice.

Amen! It means something to me.

I bought one of the first M&P’s because I saw that this was an opportunity to put American made guns back in the hands of American LEO’s. I think S&W is well on their way to doing this. patriot.gif

I can’t buy everything American made but I can still buy Guns, Motorcycles, Cars, and Liquor (the most import things) that is made here and is in the #1 spot.