New Draco Handguards!

So, I've had the idea for awhile to use Carolina Shooters Supply's AR handguards but I was a little hesitant since it doesn't appear anyone had tried it on a Draco yet. So here it is. It was fairly easy. Only real modifications was to remove the lower handguard retainer (i cut mine off with a Dremmel), drill a hole in the bottom of the receiver for the HG retainer bolt, and modify a gas tube (sans HG retainer caps)

Still have to finish modifying a gas tube. I'm going to try a Saiga gas tube first. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I really like the full length of the handguards, the light weight, and I believe it will dissipate heat better, and they're modular.
Posted Image

• Like 1

Adding teh aACE stock is pretty easy. You just have to drill and tap the rear of the Draco receiver. The Draco has a steel back plate already welded on place because it comes as a pistol. Do your Form 1 and when it comes back you drill and tap the Draco.

The top cover looks like a Texas Weaponary setup.

Nice looking setup. I have wanted one for a while now but prices are kind of crazy.

Adding teh aACE stock is pretty easy. You just have to drill and tap the rear of the Draco receiver. The Draco has a steel back plate already welded on place because it comes as a pistol. Do your Form 1 and when it comes back you drill and tap the Draco.

I'm just a little worried about doing something I can't undo, especially after waiting so long for a stamp to come back. One of those things I would want to outsource to someone that has done quite a few.

I'm just a little worried about doing something I can't undo, especially after waiting so long for a stamp to come back. One of those things I would want to outsource to someone that has done quite a few.

They use a 10-32 screw, if I remember right, and it is pretty straightforward. The stock itself has about a 1/2" of vertical adjustment as well as a little wiggle room for cant. From talking to you, you have the skills to do it.

Personally I don't like ACE folders because they ALL have a little wobble in them. The first, and last, one I bought had about a 1/2" of vertical wobble at the buttpad. I sent it back for a replacement because I thought it was a defective stock but was refunded my money because they said all ACE folders have that wobble.

Bonesteel Arms makes a better folder but it will not work on the Draco.

Dolomite is right about most of it. The TWS Dogleg rail is pure awesome. IMO it is the only rail cover that works. Solid, repeatable zero, and low scope mount. I've used them on several and they work.
Drilling the back plate was easy. Before I sent paperwork off I found a Stormwerkz sling attachment plate that used the same hole pattern as the Ace stock. I figured that if I ever de-SBR it or want to take it back to a pistol I can just take of the stock and put the sling plate back on.
As far as wobble in the stock, mine is solid. I've had probably 5 ace stocks and never had issues. That being said, now that Bonesteel is in the market that is the way to go if you have an open back stamped receiver.
I'll add that one of the biggest pluses of the TWS rail is the rear peep sight. Even with the closer front sight of the Draco's front sight I have a 4" longer sought radius than my 16" AR! Also with the lower mount height I can get a correct cheek weld. Fixers the only issues the AK has. :-)

I'll add that one of the biggest pluses of the TWS rail is the rear peep sight. Even with the closer front sight of the Draco's front sight I have a 4" longer sought radius than my 16" AR! Also with the lower mount height I can get a correct cheek weld. Fixers the only issues the AK has. :-)

I've always liked the rear peep sight on an AK since I shot a buddy's Galil 15 years ago. The issue has always been the wobble in the receiver covers I've seen. Glad to hear that one is solid, I may do that to mine. I haven't figured out if I want it to look old school or tacticool yet.

They use a 10-32 screw, if I remember right, and it is pretty straightforward. The stock itself has about a 1/2" of vertical adjustment as well as a little wiggle room for cant. From talking to you, you have the skills to do it.

That raises my confidence a little. What I'd love to have is a Krink style folder on mine that locks up on the left hand side, but that takes a bit more professional work. I'll probably stick with something simple. Mine isn't a Draco though, it's built on a Polish receiver.

I've always liked the rear peep sight on an AK since I shot a buddy's Galil 15 years ago. The issue has always been the wobble in the receiver covers I've seen. Glad to hear that one is solid, I may do that to mine. I haven't figured out if I want it to look old school or tacticool yet.

As bad as most top cover rails are it makes them all seem like a bad idea. The TWS and the Parabellum armament are completely different in how they attach that they just plain work. They are the only two I would ever use for anything semi serious. That being said I wouldn't use the Parabellum after reading enough issues of them not holding 0 with a heavier optic.

That raises my confidence a little. What I'd love to have is a Krink style folder on mine that locks up on the left hand side, but that takes a bit more professional work. I'll probably stick with something simple. Mine isn't a Draco though, it's built on a Polish receiver.

Yes I'm not that bold to try to cut the front of my receiver. I've seen it done and it looks good though.

Why?  OH WHY?  Did I click onto this thread.....   :wall:   

I have all of these Garand and 1911 projects to finish up and now I SEE THIS! 

Tag for future reference - - -   :dirty:

I might have to try another ACE folder. When mine developed the wobble they checked it out and they said it was normal.

Just looked at mine a bit close and there is a little wobble. Never noticed before and doesn't seem to be an issue for me but it is there.

Speaking of triangle folders, I did see this ;)  http://www.manticorearms.com/Triangle-Stock-MA-5100.htm Gives the look and feel of the triangle folder without the expense and headache of a com-bloc version. Uses the Stormwerkz or ACE folding mechanism.

Edited by Smith

Just looked at mine a bit close and there is a little wobble. Never noticed before and doesn't seem to be an issue for me but it is there.

Speaking of triangle folders, I did see this ;)  http://www.manticorearms.com/Triangle-Stock-MA-5100.htm Gives the look and feel of the triangle folder without the expense and headache of a com-bloc version. Uses the Stormwerkz or ACE folding mechanism.

Mine was on a Saiga 12 so it got pounded. It started wobbling very quickly though. Probably under 150 rounds.

Those are nice but I HATE short stocks. If they made it in a 9.5" or 10.5" version I probably would buy it.

I do like their sling mount for guns that have ACE folders though, I think I will make myself one.