DRT (Dynamic Research Technologies) Ammo

I just got my new "Cheaper Than Dirt" catalog in the mail. They have a new ammunition, DRT, that I haven't seen or heard of until now.....and their little write up on it really got my attention. If what they say about it is true, this is some wicked stuff!

Here's a few little excerpts from the catalog:

DRT 9mm Ammunition-One of a Kind!

DRT is it the most accurate ammo ever?

This might be it, both in accuracy and terminal ballistics!

This ammo does the exact opposite of what you would expect. These rounds will shoot through a telephone pole, but it will not shoot through the average house cat. Here is the best part, these are ideal for crowd control, home defense, or close quarter combat, the bullet will hit the target and dissipate inside the target, killing them instantly without going through and injuring an innocent bystander.

How is that possible?

It's in the core. Totally different than anything on the market, a powder, not a solid lead blob, but a fine powder mixture.

Here is how it works:

If you filled a 55 gallon drum with a zillion number 9 shotgun pellets and then shot it out of some space age rail gun with the round spinning at 160,000 rpm, you would have a very deadly round. .......then enters the dynamics of the fine powder! When it hits solid objects like a telephone pole, it stays together and passes right through. When the bullet hits a steel plate it leaves a hole that looks like a cutting torch was used. The magic occurs on an Organic Target. The fine powder is as fine as talcum powder. When it contacts the organic target, the powder is spinning at such a high rate it instantly disperses, creating a crater in the target resulting in Instant Death. The wounds are typically 5" deep and 5" wide. A full 100% energy dissipation as the bullet totally disappears to invisible dust. The accuracy comes from two attributes: First is extreme attention to detail in the manufacturing process, second has to do with the powder core. With the powder core, the material finds its center when spinning improving the accuracy. The most accurate ammo we have ever seen, and the most deadly.

Sounds like some badass stuff to me......it better be for $59.97 for a 9mm 50 round box!!!! I'd love to try some of this and see if a 9mm round could actually pass through a telephone pole and then create a 5" deep and 5" wide hole in organic matter on the other side!

Anyone ever hear (or see) anything about this ammo?

Edited by PackinMama
spelling error
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds to good to be true to me!

This comes to mind

extremeshokreduxxf4.jpg

You know,over priced,ineffective,and over hyped!

Its frangible ammo(like ES) so I doubt it would retain enough weight to give any stopping power.

Although I would like to see a test of it working,or lack thereof.

I sent an email to the box o truth about it,so maybe he will test it:shrug:

Here is their site with some videos: http://www.drtammo.com/videolib.html

and here are the comments from CTD http://forums.cheaperthandirt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1627&sid=f8c70923916880b1773a4925aa1da4a2

Edit: Did that say it would penetrate 5 inches in gel,or flesh? If gel(which I assume) then it would not have enough stopping power.The standard penetration is 13 inches

Anotor edit: On CTD its listed at 69.94 + 10.74 ship

Thats a 1.61 a round :D

Edited by strickj

Seems like every few years somebody comes out with something like this.I remember back in the 90s there was some kind of wonder bullet coming out.They had articles about it in the newspaper,can't remember the name though.They are aimed (pun intended) at the casual or uninformed gun owner and I am sure they make some money off them.I am surprised they don't Billy Mays doing a commercial for them.

Guest Linoge

Saw the advertisement. Read through it, went, "Woah, that sounds cool!" Then I stopped, checked myself, and immediately filed it under, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Their videos are relatively impressive... it appears to penetrate about 10 inches into ballistic gel before the powder loses all inertia. However, from the way the commentary went on those videos, they seem to be treating ballistics gel as a 1:1 analogue for flesh, which it obviously is not.

*shrugs* Until I see some third-party investigation into this stuff, I cannot say as though I will be terribly interesting especially at that price.

Wow, never seen this stuff before. Always a new tacticool bullet out there that claims to cause instant gruesome death to anything that looks at it within a 1 mile radius.

....................I'd love to try some of this and see if a 9mm round could actually pass through a telephone pole and then create a 5" deep and 5" wide hole in organic matter on the other side......................

I pretty much knew it was BS, especially when I read the claim that it could pass right through a telephone pole and then create a 5"x5" hole in organic matter on the other side......just thought I'd see if any of you had heard of it or tried it. CTD must have a significant profit margin in selling this stuff to do a write up on it like that. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it.....I'll stick to my Remington GSB's.....they're expensive enough for me!

• 2 weeks later...