Another water source for SHTF water

The other day I was letting my dog out and she hates getting her feet wet. She walked to the edge of the grass, looked at me, then turned around and walked back inside. This got me to thinking that there must be something wet for her to refuse to step out into the grass. Well I walked through the grass and my shoes as well as my pants became soaked inside of 10 feet. I bet I could take a towel and drag it through my yard most mornings and get a few gallons of water. I live on the side of a mountain so I do get a substantial temperature difference.

I am sure it is also dependent on the humidity but it is something to think about for those of you who are in a place where water might be hard to come by.

Heck, a lot of mornings the dew runs off the roof. If it weren't for all the leaves I would put up gutters.

• Like 1
Good idea. I keep some plastic sheeting cut in the shape of a triangle in my survival gear. I figure if I tie it just off the ground with a point of the triangle tilted into a collection container, I can collect dew or rain. It would probably work just as we'll if I'm ever stranded on an island with nothing but saltwater... Boil the water under the plastic, collect the steam. Not much saltwater round here though :)

In a more arid climate one all one would need is to dig a smallish hole, put your storage media(preferablly a bucket or if needed a cup) in the center with something like a tarp or synthetic that won't absorb but rather repel the water. Stretch said repellent media over the storage, use something heavier to hold four corners at least, then put a small weighted object in the center of it. Any ambient moisture in the ground that would normally evaporate in the morning is now trapped by the repellent and drips down towards the storage media and ta-dah, water in a normally more arid environment, of course, this is only really plausible with newer synthetic materials I would think, do keep in mind that this is all theory based and I haven't applied it in the real world. I'm sure timestepper could give a TON of tips on the matter.

Edited by whitewolf001

In a more arid climate one all one would need is to dig a smallish hole, put your storage media(preferablly a bucket or if needed a cup) in the center with something like a tarp or synthetic that won't absorb but rather repel the water. Stretch said repellent media over the storage, use something heavier to hold four corners at least, then put a small weighted object in the center of it. Any ambient moisture in the ground that would normally evaporate in the morning is now trapped by the repellent and drips down towards the storage media and ta-dah, water in a normally more arid environment, of course, this is only really plausible with newer synthetic materials I would think, do keep in mind that this is all theory based and I haven't applied it in the real world. I'm sure timestepper could give a TON of tips on the matter.

works great, typically referred to as a "solar still".  :up:

I bet I could take a towel and drag it through my yard most mornings and get a few gallons of water.

I remember seeing on one of the 'survival' shows where the person giving the advice talked about taking off a shirt, etc. and using it to collect water from the dew on the grass when other water sources are scarce/nonexistent.  Get the shirt good and saturated, wring the water out into your mouth then repeat.  Possibly even wring some out into a storage container to drink later if there is enough moisture available.  Seems like he said that you likely wouldn't get enough to survive from that source, alone, but it could be the difference between surviving long enough to find another source of water or not.

Edited by JAB

you likely wouldn't get enough to survive from that source, alone, but it could be the difference between surviving long enough to find another source of water or not.

Yup and all those little bits add up in a survival situation.