Absolute Cheapest Gun Prices!

Guest jps37033

Guest Tom@GunDepot
I got my sights set on a Bersa 380. The cheapest deal we could work out was $360 after uncle sam and tics. Now come on, thats $99 higher than online. The guy was nice and very helpful, but $99. Maybe ya'll can help out. I am coming to Nashville tomorrow, and maybe find a better deal there?

The thing is your comparing a non taxed sale, to a taxed sale... not quite 'fair' in comparison...

As for getting a price on the phone, this is probably the worst 'haggling' you can do.... how do I know your not another gun dealer and truly a serious buyer?

If you make yourself clear that your buying a gun and want the best price.... ask for cash pricing. Most stores will at least knock off additional 3% for credit card charges in addition to the 'deal' you negotiate.

My .02

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun to use if you want to look at guns, but Davidson's is the most expensive distributor in the industry...

What? Last time I checked their 'dealer' prices were the same as the other distributors.

I'm not going to quote any one persons post (many have mentioned it), but I can't figure for the life of me why there would need to be any 'haggling' going on in the first place.

Why should I have to ask any dealer in any certian "special" manner in order to get their best possible price? When I ask a dealer for their price on any given item, I expect a reply that involves their bottom dollar. I should not be expected to make a trip to their shop, stand on one foot, do a head stand and sing kumbaya just to get "their best price".

Admittedly, I tend to be a 'price shopper' on certian items. This doesn't mean I'll contact multiple dealers for prices, then attempt to start a price war. I simply call, email or visit the store and ask for a price quote. There is a difference. If it's an item I'm willing to 'price shop' for, I'll simply go with the lowest price.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
I drove an hour over to see Joe in BFE and was well worth it. Now I did pester him on pricing and inventory prior to making the trip, I just wanted to be sure he had what I wanted.:P

I will make a return visit one day as well. As far as im concerned 50$ is well worth a face to face.

Ill qoute myself here to answer your question. I didnt ask him his price and then say, "well would you take x dollars'. I simply asked him what his cash price was for a gun and what types of other 40's he had in stock that I could compare upon arrival.

Now I did mention that I had some coworkers that were interested in coming up (that backed out on me) and wondered if we could get a 3-4 gun deal.

Then again that was my first real gun purchase besides from friends, etc. So I didnt know what I was doing anyway.

What? Last time I checked their 'dealer' prices were the same as the other distributors.

80% of the time, their prices are higher than the other big distributors when I am pulling numbers for a large sale.

If you want to compare notes on distribution and supply, I would be happy to offline

Guest superslacker

I have bought multiple new guns from several different vendors on Gunbroker, and each time that I did, I saved at least $50 after the TICS, shipping and transfer fee was paid. The people on the phone were courteous and at least acted as if they were interested in what I had to say. If they were not, then I didn't buy from them. To be honest, and I'm not trying to generalize, most of the local gun dealers where I have lived (southeast MO, northeast AR, west TN) were relatively condescending, unhelpful, disinterested, and rude. I have also met some very knowlegable, helpful people, but they have been few and far between. That being said, there is no one in memphis or its suburbs that I would buy a gun from, with the exception of sportsmans warehouse. I'm sure things are probably different in other parts of the country, but I refuse to buy a gun from someone who behaves as if they could care less if I were to spontaneously catch on fire, regardless of their geographical location.

I'm not going to quote any one persons post (many have mentioned it), but I can't figure for the life of me why there would need to be any 'haggling' going on in the first place.

Why should I have to ask any dealer in any certian "special" manner in order to get their best possible price? When I ask a dealer for their price on any given item, I expect a reply that involves their bottom dollar. I should not be expected to make a trip to their shop, stand on one foot, do a head stand and sing kumbaya just to get "their best price".

Admittedly, I tend to be a 'price shopper' on certian items. This doesn't mean I'll contact multiple dealers for prices, then attempt to start a price war. I simply call, email or visit the store and ask for a price quote. There is a difference. If it's an item I'm willing to 'price shop' for, I'll simply go with the lowest price.

Let's say Hooters opened a drive-thru, manned by Rosie O'Donnell, but the same food was 20% cheaper if purchased at the drive-thru...

Wouldn't we all still go in and sit down for a meal? Service before, during and after the sale matters, and I see that as somebody taking time to get me what I want conveniently and educationally, for a price. Niether Hooters girls nor gun-store clerks do what they do for just a pat on the back (however low that pat might be).

But, if you know what you want, and don't and won't need or want any assistance getting it or resolving problems later... yeah, online is the most logical and cheapest solution.

Let's say Hooters opened a drive-thru, manned by Rosie O'Donnell, but the same food was 20% cheaper if purchased at the drive-thru...

Wouldn't we all still go in and sit down for a meal? Service before, during and after the sale matters, and I see that as somebody taking time to get me what I want conveniently and educationally, for a price. Niether Hooters girls nor gun-store clerks do what they do for just a pat on the back (however low that pat might be).

But, if you know what you want, and don't and won't need or want any assistance getting it or resolving problems later... yeah, online is the most logical and cheapest solution.

I see where you're coming from. I'm not a big on-line shopper, especially for guns or other high value items. I like to put my hands on most items before handing over that kind of money.

Hell, I just made an online purchase for a friends wedding gift. It happened to be something I wasn't able to find anywhere near me, so I had little choice. I now regret making that purchase.

The item arrived broken. When I called the company to see about having another shipped, I was told they were on backorder until late September. Plus, I have to pay for the return shipping. How's that for service. Online shopping can turn into a real disaster.

I dont have any gun shops around here besides pawn shops that I know of. Anyone know of any around Greenfield, TN (38230) ?

The best gun shop in our area (IMHO) is Parkway Gun and Pawn in Jackson. They have the best prices in the area and are very, very friendly and knowledgeable. For example, awhile back I bought a couple of Glock magazines and Pearce extensions for them. They insisted that they would install them at no charge. It took them less than a minute to do it and it would have probably taken me 30 minutes. They are located on North Parkway just east of Royal St. and west of F. E. Wright Drive. They have a great selection of new guns as well as the usual used ones.

Edited by mac12
Good idea. Thanks. I will try to locate some gun shops around here locally.

Eybedam answered correct, they add 3% on for credit card sales. In all actuality, it is probably worth the hassle and security of knowing that you can always dispute it IF something went really bad, I've just never done it.

Here is a break down of a purchase I made at Hero Gear, for which I'll use since Joe is active on this thread:

I decided on the S&W 1911 through research and handling different 1911's. This was going to be my first 1911 so economics was a real factor. Bud's price at the time was $768. I would have had to pay around 5$ for insurance and $35 to my FFL bringing Bud's total to $813. I called ahead and spoke with Dan who said they had the pistol I was looking at in stock but the sales price was higher (I do not recall ho much higher now) but I decided I'd make the drive anyway. Being a savvy shopper, I printed out the page from Bud's online catalog and brought it with me. When I got there, Dan showed me the pistol I wanted, as well as several others of less and better quality which really reaffirmed my decision that the S&W was adequate for my first venture into the 1911 realm. He then showed how to dis-assemble (I had forgotten what a bear they were to break down) and re-assemble, explaining what precautions to take when re-assembling as not to mar the finish. I showed him my print out from Buds and simply said, "I drove from Nashville, What can you do?" He sold me the gun for $748, plus $10 for TICS and the Taxes were $69.17 (Sale no. 4502) bringing Hero Gear's total to $827.19, for a difference of $14.19 greater than Buds. Whoopee. Now keep in mind the hour drive one way should not be used against him in this case because I truly was looking for an excuse to make it out there and see the shop and I probably could have received the same deal at Guns & Leather which is closer to me. It really turned out to be a nice drive. Also, for the Buds price mentioned, you'd also have to figure in trips to the bank, post office, and the anticipation waiting the 5 or six days it would have taken for it to arrive. Not to mention the headaches if it would have been defective or had a scratch.

There has also been mention on this thread along the lines of "Why wouldn't a shop quote me their absolute lowest price in the beginning?". Let me first say that I am not in the retail industry however I must quote prices in my business in order to make a living. I never, repeat NEVER quote my absolute lowest price right off the bat unless I really need the work. Why would a gun shop quote their lowest price over the phone right off the bat? My next question would have been " I live in XX and I'm seriously in the market for a Bersa .380 and I've seen where Bud's has it for $X, I'll being paying in cash, what is your absolute lowest price? If they can't get close, then by all means, order it from Bud's, I would. But just be sure to compare Apples to Apples, factor in what it is worth to you to see the actual pistol you will be buying. I'll be honest, in your example for $99, I'd order it from Bud's but I'd give Gallatin Gun Shop another shot first.

Fun to use if you want to look at guns, but Davidson's is the most expensive distributor in the industry...

I looked using his zip code. Highest was about $360 out the door (sounds like the dealer is "fishing"). The other two were $290 & $300 OTD which sounded reasonable. That's on the matte blue one, the duotone should be cheaper. I'm not sure about their lifetime warranty because I've never heard about anybody's experiance with it, but some guns it might be worth having for a little more. A Bersa is one that I might want it on, Taurus is another.

Guest jps37033

Just to let ya'll know, I went with local. ;)

The "in-hand", and "walking out the door with it" got the best of me ;)

I still got a good deal too. I went with a Walther P99 for $425 plus taxes tags and licenses :)

It does feel good to have it in hand, and have a local merchant.

I still got a good deal too. I went with a Walther P99 for $425 plus taxes tags and licenses :)

Good to hear! Enjoy your gun, and continue to build your relationship with your local dealers.

Guest eyebedam

Where did you get it? Thats a great price even on a used 1. Did you get the 9,, or the .40? Which trigger? Wheres the pics. Enjoy it.

Guest jps37033

lol, I had to buy the wife a digital camera to get it. As soon as we get it set up, I will post pics. Its the 9mm, and I have no clue which trigger ;)

I got it at a local pawn/gun shop that sells new and used. I bought my Ruger P94 from them also.

Guest jps37033

I think I am going back tomorrow to get a NEA single shot 12g with full choke for $89+ uncle Sam fees. Can I shoot slugs thru it if its full choke???? Dont laugh.....

I'm with you man...

When I see someone take a bunch off the sticker price for this reason or that - my brain doesn't see a deal, it sees him trying to get more off everyone else who doesn't do the special dance.

Then again - that might be why I prefer buying used stuff - where haggling is expected

Guest m14man
The best gun shop in our area (IMHO) is Parkway Gun and Pawn in Jackson. They have the best prices in the area and are very, very friendly and knowledgeable. For example, awhile back I bought a couple of Glock magazines and Pearce extensions for them. They insisted that they would install them at no charge. It took them less than a minute to do it and it would have probably taken me 30 minutes. They are located on North Parkway just east of Royal St. and west of F. E. Wright Drive. They have a great selection of new guns as well as the usual used ones.

i 2nd that if you are in west tn its worth the drive, the only person i have found with prices as good was joe at hero gear, just went there this weekend, great shop and super nice guys. so next time your in middle tn take the trip to hero gear and if yall are in west tn stop in at parkway.

Looking at Bud's, here are just a few price comparisons.

Smith and Wesson M&P Buds price 518.00 and 523.00 My everyday price: 509.00

Smith and Wesson 642 Buds price 403.00 My everyday price 417.00

CMMG Gas Piston AR Buds price 1299.00 My everyday price 1299.00

FN PS90 Buds price 1657.00 My everyday price 1699.00

GSG-5 Buds price 470.00 My everyday price 499.00

Heckler and Koch USC Buds price 1398.00 My everyday price 1400.00

We can do this all night, but my point is that Bud's has good prices but not the "absolute cheapest" and it may do you some good to establish a good relationship with a quality shop.

:rock:;):P;):)

I don’t think people are offended so much as they would like to point out factors you may not have considered. Also, price is not always the most important thing. I know of two times, once to a friend of mine and once to me, where there was a problem with new guns. Guns and Leather replaced the guns with new ones without any hesitation. I don’t think you will get that level of service from most places, especially online. Even if you did get that kind of service it would take days or weeks to resolve when you include shipping time. I used to be very big on online shopping in general, not for firearms, but I have had too many bad experiences. Now I only shop online if I cannot find the item locally.

I agree with this. And I'll also add that shopping around at loal gun shops can be not only alot of fun but can educate you a little more on what youre shopping for....(i.e. weight and feel). :rock:

Not to mention there's nothing better than getting outfitted with a new firearm at a one stop shop on a local gun shop that's made you a deal on firearm, holster, and ammo on a Saturday morning.:P