Obama leads McCain in donations from military

Guest Len

From Military.com:http://www.military.com/news/article/military-donations-favoring-obama.html?col=1186032310810

Military Donations Favoring Obama

August 15, 2008

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - U.S. Soldiers have donated more presidential campaign money to Democrat Barack Obama than to Republican John McCain, a reversal of previous White House campaigns in which military donations tended to favor Republicans, a nonpartisan group reported Aug. 14.

Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who has never served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

Obama has opposed the war in Iraq and says he would withdraw combat troops within 16 months. McCain has been a steadfast supporter of the war, saying he would withdraw the troops only when conditions on the ground warrant it.

"Obama will work tirelessly to uphold this nation's sacred trust with its veterans, to ensure they are not forgotten after they return home and he will provide our troops with the leadership they deserve, as well as the support they and their families need," Obama spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

McCain's campaign played down the significance of the donations.

"John McCain has been endorsed by more retired admirals and generals than Barack Obama has military donors," McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb said in a statement.

"We feel confident that many U.S. troops stationed overseas will support John McCain in the election this fall, but we suspect most are too busy doing the important work of defending this country than to make political contributions," Goldfarb said.

The report tracked donations of $200 or more. It found that 859 members of the military donated a total of $335,536 to Obama. McCain received $280,513 from 558 military donors.

Among Soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama while 26 gave a total of $10,665 to McCain. That was less than the amount received by Republican Ron Paul, who collected $45,512 from 99 Soldiers serving abroad, the report said.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Among Soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama

They just want to come home. Can you blame them for wanting that? I wonder how many of these 134 serving overseas are just low level grunts and how many are higher level officers.

I would suspect that the percentage among higher level officers swings the other direction and favors McCain. The people with a more birds-eye view of the ongoing plan of action aren't as concerned about coming home as they are about winning the war.

So to translate: Private First Class Homesick is donating to the Obama campaign. File that under "D" for DUH. Colonel Init T. Winit is donating to the McCain campaign because he doesn't want to see all of our hard work get washed down the tubes by some freshman hack senator who is willing to pander to whomever writes the biggest checks.

You're my homeboy, Len... but if Obama gets elected I'm going to leave you daily "State Of The Union" voicemails for the next four years telling you how much he sucks.

:bowrofl:

Guest Verbal Kint
They just want to come home. Can you blame them for wanting that? I wonder how many of these 134 serving overseas are just low level grunts and how many are higher level officers.

I would suspect that the percentage among higher level officers swings the other direction and favors McCain. The people with a more birds-eye view of the ongoing plan of action aren't as concerned about coming home as they are about winning the war.

So to translate: Private First Class Homesick is donating to the Obama campaign. File that under "D" for DUH. Colonel Init T. Winit is donating to the McCain campaign because he doesn't want to see all of our hard work get washed down the tubes by some freshman hack senator who is willing to pander to whomever writes the biggest checks.

+1

It's pretty sad that someone who joins the military will give Obama the time of day. I'm betting that the actual voting from the military folks will be lopsided for McCain.

The guys want to come home, but not with their tail tucked between their legs.

160 serving overseas? That's a pretty small percentage. I would be willing to bet that most guys are sending their hazard pay to their families and not some politician. The votes will truly reflect the true military will. That is unless the Dems try another Florida trick and try to get them disallowed. Talk about disenfranchisement. That still gets my ire up.

Guest SUNTZU

"Obama will work tirelessly to uphold this nation's sacred trust with its veterans, to ensure they are not forgotten after they return home and he will provide our troops with the leadership they deserve, as well as the support they and their families need," Obama spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

I agree 100% with this statement. Obama will screw them too. The United Welfare State of America. Just sayin'.

Hmm. I would have thought just the opposite. I was assuming the officers gave more to Obama than Joe Average foot soldier.

As for the daily voice mails, I don't think they'll be needed. The election is McCain's to lose.

I don't think it has anything to do with rank. It has to do with the values influenced

by the way you were raised. Mostly your comrades become your family after your second tour. The military has favored the Republican Party due to them looking after the military's welfare. I have been soldiering now for 32 years. It's just my observation.

I know on my last deployment ,Guard and Reserves were not allowed allotments.

All my money went home. I had a special Visa account money was put into. Hell there was no where to spend it anyway. It appears to be a very small percentage donated anyway. I wonder how they track it.

FWIW: Out of four E-4 and below that I have in country, three have extended their one year tour already. I have talked to two

and asked why. Both stated in different ways that they thought it was the right thing to do.

Edited by R1100R
  • 2 weeks later...

To qualify my following statement, I am a Libertarian and used to be a Republican. I am a free-market conservative and not a Liberal. That said, here goes.

I spent 30 years active duty in the Marine Corps and lived through most of the major pay raises. I started out a $57.00 a month Private and ended up a $59,000 a year MGysgt on Flight Pay. To the very best of my recollection and current research on Web to jog my memory, the major pay raises for the military came from Democrat Senators and Congressmen and were signed into law by Democrat Presidents. Historically (other than Clinton) Democrats have taken better care of Enlisted Men and NCOs than Republicans. I'm talking quality of life for Enlisted folks, not Army strengths and hardware.

Even though I voted Republican (I was big on mutual funds and investing my money) throughout my career, most of my fellow NCOs voted Democrat. I don't think this an Obama thing, I think it is probably a long term trend in the military. Results don't really surprise me.