80% build party in Chattanooga. Let's make it happen!

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into this option back in April sometime when things started getting crazy. All the sites that sold the unfinished parts said they were back-ordered until October or later. Things do change but you may want to verify you can get the parts before making plans.

I was actually considering buying a mill and making it cnc to make one completely from scratch but ARs are fairly available now (if still at higher prices)

Edited by tnguy
  • 2 weeks later...

I looked into this option back in April sometime when things started getting crazy. All the sites that sold the unfinished parts said they were back-ordered until October or later. Things do change but you may want to verify you can get the parts before making plans.

I was actually considering buying a mill and making it cnc to make one completely from scratch but ARs are fairly available now (if still at higher prices)

lots of sites have both lowers and jigs in stock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glocklocker19

I don't live near Chattanooga, but would be willing to go to something like this if someone could get one together. I built my first AR a few months ago and I really have the bug now. Would love to mill out my own receiver for the pride and satisfaction of knowing I did it myself if nothing else ;) 

As I understand it, one of the bonuses is no serial number.

Even though it is perfectly legal to make a gun without a serial number it can raise a lot of eyebrows.

I had a person relay something to me a few months back. He bought a homebuilt rifle without a serial number. The buyer took it to a FFL for the once over to make sure it was safe. The FFL refused to give the gun back and turned it over to the ATF because it did not have a serial number. I never was told whether he got the gun back but at a minimum he was without his gun for a while and inconvienced for it.

I would suggest adding a serial number just to avoid the hassle. It can be anything you want and what does it matter unless you plan on selling it through a FFL.

It is perfectly legal to sell homebuilt guns as long as the intent wasn't to sell them at the time they are made. Those that are manufacturing weapons for resale rarely do one or two. Most people who makes guns for themselves rarely make more than a couple a year. Yet those who intend to sell them will make dozens or more. And that is where it is easy to prove intent. Now if people began making, with the intent to sell receivers, they would need a manufacturers license. But if they are making them for themselves, initially, they are perfectly legal.

Guest Keal G Seo

You know they are making 80% polymer lowers now too for 100 bucks. Seen a couple vids on YT but haven't tried them personally. They look pretty easy though as the the 20% is done in white and all you need to mill it out is a dremel with a couple bits and less than an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcSlOVeXlQ

AresArmor might be where to look for metal ones for a build party though. They aren't in stock right now but a group buy might get their first batch. Singles up to 19 are 90 bucks, 20-99 are 82 and 100+ are 70.

• 1 month later...

If it's perfectly legal to do it, why in the world would you put a serial number on it? Wouldn't that just make it look like

you are manufacturing the things?

I don't know about the re-selling of something you make from scratch, though. That's probably not a good idea. 

Make all the guns Serial "1337". Or maybe in Klingon.

If I do it, I just won't serial. I don't see the need. If a resale was in order, I'd probably just swap the lower out.

The site I posted above has them at 5/#390. I want two for myself. Anyone interested at $78?

Guest Keal G Seo

Just as with all your other tools it is a good idea to put some kind of identifier on it. Use something easy to remember though, like a backwards birthday- 485180. Some people say to use your social or just the last 4 of your social but I don't recommend this with the way SSNs are used in identity theft.