Is it legal to ship deprimed brass and dies to UK?

I had a guy message me here in response to an ad in the classifieds for .270 WSM brass and dies. He asked if I would deprime the brass and send it to the UK. Does anyone know if this is legal? I know they have ultra ridiculous gun laws and I don't want to get locked up for selling a few pieces of non ferrous metal lol.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

A coworker brought a 105mm she'll casing back from the UK in his luggage and was never asked about it. The smell of cordite was obvious in it.

If the brass is deprimed and clean, I don't see an issue. It's just metal at that point.
But I'd review the ITAR regs first.

From another website:

You are smart to waive off of ANY international shipment. Unless you have an export license from the State Department, you can't legally ship ANY articles that COULD be used to wage war. I too was once ignorant of the export laws, that is until a fateful day last year when two ICE agents arrived at my home asking questions about why I shipped 20 pounds of .40SW brass to Lithuania without said license.

Fortunately, I got by with a warning. It didn't hurt that I owned a shooting range and the agents were interested in stopping by to shoot when they were off duty. Take it from me, if you ship brass outside of these United States, and your package is opened, you too will get a visit from Homeland Security.

Getting off the soap box now, but be very careful.

Pete

For those who might be interested, see Cat III below:
§ 121.1 -- General. The United States munitions list.
(a) The following articles, services and related technical data are designated as defense articles and defense services pursuant to sections 38 and 47(7) of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778 and 2794(7)). Changes in designations will be published in the Federal Register. Information and clarifications on whether specific items are defense articles and services under this subchapter may appear periodically in the Defense Trade News published by the Center for Defense Trade.

(B ) Significant military equipment: An asterisk precedes certain defense articles in the following list. The asterisk means that the article is deemed to be "significant military equipment" to the extent specified in § 120.19. The asterisk is placed as a convenience to help identify such articles.

(c) Certain items in the following list are placed in brackets. The brackets mean that the item is (1) scheduled to be moved to the licensing jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce upon establishment of a foreign policy control or (2) in the case of spacecraft and related equipment, the item is under review by an interagency space technical working group. The interagency review will result in a recommendation as to whether an item should be moved to the jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce or to USML category XV which was established for this purpose.

(d) Missile Technology Control Regime Annex (MTCR). Certain defense articles and services are identified in § 121.16 as being on the list of MTCR Annex items on the United States Munitions List. These are articles as specified in § 120.29 of this subchapter and appear on the list at § 121.16.

Category I-Firearms
*(a) Nonautomatic, semi-automatic and fully automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive, and all components and parts for such firearms. (See § 121.9 and §§ 123.16-123.19 of this subchapter.)

(B ) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor; firearm silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors.

*(c) Insurgency-counterinsurgency type firearms or other weapons having a special military application (e.g. close assault weapons systems) regardless of caliber and all components and parts therefor.

(d) Technical data (as defined in § 120.21 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in § 120.8 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles enumerated in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this category. (See § 125.4 of this subchapter for exemptions.) Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME.

Category II-Artillery Projectors
*(a) Guns over caliber .50, howitzers, mortars, and recoilless rifles.

*(B ) Military flamethrowers and projectors.

(c) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) and (B ) of this category, including but not limited to mounts and carriages for these articles.

(d) Technical data (as defined in 120.21 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in § 120.8 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles enumerated in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this category. (See § 125.4 of this subchapter for exemptions.) Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME.

Category III-Ammunition
*(a) Ammunition for the arms in Categories I and II of this section. (See § 121.6.)

(B ) Components, parts, accessories, and attachments for articles in paragraph (a) of this category, including but not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags, bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles, boosters, fuzes and components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for such ammunition. (See § 121.6.)

(c) Ammunition belting and linking machines.

*(d) Ammunition manufacturing machines and ammunition loading machines (except handloading ones).

(e) Technical data (as defined in § 120.21 of this subchapter) and defense services (as defined in § 120.8 of this subchapter) directly related to the defense articles enumerated in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category. (See § 125.4 of this subchapter for exemptions.) Technical data directly related to the manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated elsewhere in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment (SME) shall itself be designated SME.

From here:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145261-Shipping-outside-the-US-Seller-Warning

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 2