Calling all wood cutters, loggers and chainsaw enthusiasts

Spots

I also enjoy splitting wood by hand. We had a fireplace insert stove where I grew up and cut and split a lot of wood. We lived in a wooded subdivision and whenever anyone dad knew had a tree come down, we'd go cut it up and haul off. Splitting wood does wonders for teenage angst.

Save an apt we lived in for a while, we've not had a fireplace since. I miss it and would really like to have one, mostly for emergency heat. I hope to install gas logs in my current house. I'd like a wood burning stove, but there's just not a good place for one in the house.

My wife and I live in a subdivision but have 11 acres in Anderson County, mostly wooded.  We may build out there one of these days but for now I like making trails and have been making some general improvements.  I never used a chainsaw growing up but have slowly learned how to handle them.  I have a Stihl 290 farm boss and a 170 (the smallest one they make).  I cut a lot of limbs and deadfall with the little one...it is actually my favorite because it is light.  I also have a 3-foot Fiskars axe, but my 17-year old son is much better with it than I am.  I love going out in the woods and working, but you guys are very impressive.  I'm much too old and fat to climb a tree!  Best wishes!  B

I spent 2 winters heating my house solely with wood.  I cut and split every bit of it myself, the first year I split it all by hand as well.  Never got a good saw, just used a cheap Poulan and wore it out.  I enjoyed the work, being out in the woods, running the saw, even the back breaking hauling, and stacking.  I enjoyed the fires as well.  I've since moved and no longer have a fireplace.  I miss it like crazy, I feel like a cheating yuppy flipping a switch for heat.

Haha, back in England, it's the yuppies that are switching to the "natural heat"

[quote name="Spots" post="1087074" timestamp="1388533533"]If your looking for a slightly smaller saw I would reccomend the Husky 365 xp or the 550 xp. Both are great saws and professional grade. For a home owner saw I love the Husky 455 and 460 Ranchers. Plenty of power, and not stupid heavy. But I am a huge Husqvarna fan anyways so that helps lol. Id say for what you do a semi-chiesel chain would be the ticket. They just perform better in overall conditions and all you give up is a little speed to a full chiesel. A safety chain is never gonna cut like a good sharp semi or full chiesel.Tapatalk ate my spelling.[/quote] Just as an FYI if you get your husky stuff from tsc. A year ago we started carrying Jonsered saws and accessories. If you are not familiar with them, they are a husky in a red casing. Absolutely identically. But now we can get the pro saws that husky makes where as before we couldn't. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just as an FYI if you get your husky stuff from tsc. A year ago we started carrying Jonsered saws and accessories. If you are not familiar with them, they are a husky in a red casing. Absolutely identically. But now we can get the pro saws that husky makes where as before we couldn't. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

turn more rpm's than a husky does though iirc, one of the arborists I was with in the FS turned me onto them... I bought a little 2145 and damn that thing would slice through anything it touched without bogging down.

Edited by Sam1