Kudos to Tim Calhoun!

Took my FX45 to him due to a good amount of recommendations here, had some cases FTF, trigger was heavy and had a rough spot in the pull.  Basically went in and said  "do to this whatever you would do if it was your personal carry gun" sort of putting some faith in it since I never even heard of the guy before.  He explained that some of the internals on these 1911's use on surface hardened parts, so he wanted to replace all of them, do a new trigger, bit of barrel work and just give it a good massaging.

Got it back the other day and went to the range today and holy smokes did he just do a fantastic job!  I've shot a few higher end 1911's before and outside of a pure competition gun, I would put this up against any of them at any time.  We put 500-600 rounds through it with a lot of rapid firing just trying to get it to act up and not even a hiccup.

He seemed to be pretty straight forward and did let me know there is a design flaw on the gun, where the grips are soft and so thin, they rub against the trigger bow if squeezed hard.  Said that can be fixed with a set of hard grips, so it wasn't a big deal.

If you all need any 1911 work, Tim comes highly recommended and he done such a good job on this one that he'll be getting every bit of our future business.

• Like 3
I'm having him build a gun right now so it's good to hear more good experiences about him. So far I've just talked to him on the phone and email but he has been very helpful and knowledgable. He responds to emails quickly as well which may seem like a small thing but good customer service goes a long way with me.

Not sure how I feel about all this good press though, I want to keep his build times down;-)

Took my FX45 to him due to a good amount of recommendations here, had some cases FTF, trigger was heavy and had a rough spot in the pull.  Basically went in and said  "do to this whatever you would do if it was your personal carry gun" sort of putting some faith in it since I never even heard of the guy before.  He explained that some of the internals on these 1911's use on surface hardened parts, so he wanted to replace all of them, do a new trigger, bit of barrel work and just give it a good massaging.

Got it back the other day and went to the range today and holy smokes did he just do a fantastic job!  I've shot a few higher end 1911's before and outside of a pure competition gun, I would put this up against any of them at any time.  We put 500-600 rounds through it with a lot of rapid firing just trying to get it to act up and not even a hiccup.

He seemed to be pretty straight forward and did let me know there is a design flaw on the gun, where the grips are soft and so thin, they rub against the trigger bow if squeezed hard.  Said that can be fixed with a set of hard grips, so it wasn't a big deal.

If you all need any 1911 work, Tim comes highly recommended and he done such a good job on this one that he'll be getting every bit of our future business.

Yep. I gave him my gun and a box of ammo. Part of my original request was for him to take it to the range and run it a little when he was done. Same great experience

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Had an issue with this one running so smooth after he worked on it that the rounds were ejecting with some serious speed and right at my forehead.  Tim was able to save the day again and replaced a few parts and massaged it to save the day yet again. Off and to the right, or up 100% of the time now. Guy really knows his 1911's

Out of curiosity at the range today, I spoke to a couple of people at random that were shooting 1911's and the range guy and didn't tell them anything about it, just asked if they would run a magazine through there and give me an honest opinion.  All three loved it, the only suggestion was from an older guy he said that he liked a heavier recoil spring in them.  Need to run another case or two of rounds through it before deciding on that one though.

Best one was the guy that shot it and then he said it wasn't good because it made him realize how rough his RIA was. - sorry man!  :rofl:

• Like 1