Almost time to slang some arrows

I took the first week of bow off work, gonna live in the trees and sling arrows that week!

Up until the last couple of years, I always had all 3 weeks of my vacation left at the beginning of deer season. Most of the other employees were out of vacation by then. I enjoyed every single minute of vacation sitting in the woods. The last couple years though, I've been taking time off to spend with my daughter during school break. I'll miss those extra days in the woods but wouldn't trade it for the world as she is growing up so fast. I'll have a couple of days to take off this season, but every weekend I'll be trying to outsmart those swamp donkeys lol. I'm hoping that the trend of weather this year, means we are going to have a nice cold winter and with enough finger crossing, some snow!

• Like 1

I can't wait. I didn't get to do much hunting at all last year, so I will need to make up for it this year :) Bowhunting is my favorite method, and it's almost time to let the air out of some deer.

It was too warm last year during most of the season, finally cooled off some in gun season. I'd love to be out opening day of bow and be chilly!
  • Like 1

This question doens't necessarily have to do with arrow slangin but do most of you use the Hunter Safety System harnesses? I've been using the old style forever, better than a broken back, but looking to upgrade to a better design. 

Edited by rugerla1

This question doens't necessarily have to do with arrow slangin but do most of you use the Hunter Safety System harnesses? I've been using the old style forever, better than a broken back, but looking to upgrade to a better design.

I still use the free harness that came with my stand, but I got a HSS for my dad. It's easy to put on and well made. The only downside I see to it is it's hotter than some of the others. I think they make an ultra lite series now that has less material. I also like the Tree Spider http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tree-Spider8482-Speed-Vest/1212926.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DTree%2Bstand%2Bharness%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Tree+stand+harness&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I need to upgrade mine too. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

I still use the free harness that came with my stand, but I got a HSS for my dad. It's easy to put on and well made. The only downside I see to it is it's hotter than some of the others. I think they make an ultra lite series now that has less material. I also like the Tree Spider http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tree-Spider8482-Speed-Vest/1212926.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DTree%2Bstand%2Bharness%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Tree+stand+harness&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I need to upgrade mine too.

Yeah, I saw the Tree Spider at Bass Pro. Looked pretty nice and so do the HSS. I won't mind a little extra warmth when temps drop, but for the ease of putting them on and taking them off, I'll deal with it during bow season. I know I could probably save a few dollars ordering online, but I'll probably buy local somewhere so I can try it on. Which one are you leaning towards, or are you thinking either one is fine?

Yeah, I saw the Tree Spider at Bass Pro. Looked pretty nice and so do the HSS. I won't mind a little extra warmth when temps drop, but for the ease of putting them on and taking them off, I'll deal with it during bow season. I know I could probably save a few dollars ordering online, but I'll probably buy local somewhere so I can try it on. Which one are you leaning towards, or are you thinking either one is fine?

I'm kind of leaning towards the HSS Ultra Lite. http://www.cabelas.com/product/HSS-Ultra-Lite-Harness/1206161.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1000003682%26Ne%3D1000003682%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DTree%2Bstand%2Bharness%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3DTree%2Bstand%2Bharness%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=Tree+stand+harness&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

It seems well made with big easy buckles and padded straps straps around the shoulder & waist. I think I might be cooler with that one during the early bow season than I would with HSS's other models. It's also cheaper than the tree spider Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

I REALLY like that one! I'm definitely going to treat myself this year to one. I mean, it's only there to save your life, so why skimp on a few dollars. Thanks for the info Batman.

• Like 1

Hey Batman, I saw these in Academy in Smyrna today. $119 for the XL but I'm not gonna squeeze into that one lmao. Gonna have to get the XXL which was $129. They look nice!

• Like 1

I just bought a Crossbow from black bear sporting goods, saved almost 200 bucks compared to Cabelas.  I just came in from shooting my crossbow, that thing is so much fun!  Anyways, I was completely thrilled with the service from black bear (I just ran across them from on the internet), but you might want to check there for the vests, I found this one, http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Tree_Spider_Vest_Ap_2x_3x_p/ellrobtssv30ap.htm, might save you a few bucks! I guess it's time for me to step up to a lowering safety harness.

I just bought a Crossbow from black bear sporting goods, saved almost 200 bucks compared to Cabelas.  I just came in from shooting my crossbow, that thing is so much fun!  Anyways, I was completely thrilled with the service from black bear (I just ran across them from on the internet), but you might want to check there for the vests, I found this one, http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Tree_Spider_Vest_Ap_2x_3x_p/ellrobtssv30ap.htm, might save you a few bucks! I guess it's time for me to step up to a lowering safety harness.

yeah those Tree Spiders are neat. Hell anything for me will be a step up from the old style. I was planning on getting my bow out today and practicing but time flew by. Gonna have to do it in the morning. Monday, I will be shooting it as much as I can. We are 4 weeks away boys and girls!!  :rock:

Hey Batman, I saw these in Academy in Smyrna today. $119 for the XL but I'm not gonna squeeze into that one lmao. Gonna have to get the XXL which was $129. They look nice!

Thanks. Good to know Academy has them, and I will check the one in Chattanooga. I'd like to try one on soon. So far I've only seen that particular version online. I'll probably be wearing one of those this season. Edited by Batman
  • Like 1
Well got in some practice today. Had to make a couple small adjustments but I'm good except for more shooting every day before opening day. Really cussing myself for not being in the gym all year!! Not for pulling strength but stabilization strength. Everyone dialed in boys???

Well got in some practice today. Had to make a couple small adjustments but I'm good except for more shooting every day before opening day. Really cussing myself for not being in the gym all year!! Not for pulling strength but stabilization strength. Everyone dialed in boys???

I haven't shot my bow in a couple of months. I need to get on it. I did spend some time in my hunting woods today mowing trails and observing. Whew, it was hot. Saw a snake, bunch of spiders, some squirrels, and for some reason a bunch of frogs. It was tiring but fun
I wanted to go look around my hunting spot but time is not on my side today. My buddy has a camera out on his side of the property we hunt. Lots of does and a few bucks on the card. Nothing massive but I'm new to bow hunting and still haven't busted one with it yet. It won't have to have antlers for it to be a trophy to me!
P. S. Batman, please keep the snakes over there lol Before I got to my friends house to shoot, he saw two of them, garter snakes he thought, but I don't look long enough to decide that when I'm walking through the woods haha Edited by rugerla1