Almost time to slang some arrows

You are doing the right thing then! I also have a game camera that is hooked up to ATT and sends me text message photos to my phone. Love it!
If you have a healthy predator population that will also cause the deer to react accordingly but it's anyone's guess why they made the switch. Maybe they know they are about to be hunted?

How is the pricing on that? I looked at one setup before I built mine, and it was roughly $44 a month for 25 pics! Thought ouch that's high! So I built my own setup.

How is the pricing on that? I looked at one setup before I built mine, and it was roughly $44 a month for 25 pics! Thought ouch that's high! So I built my own setup.

I think its like $10/month for 1,000 texts.  If you are interested in it, I can hook you up with my dealer. He can explain all of it.  This is my camera: https://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/Code_Black.php

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1

Well, I almost sharted my britches when I pulled up the game cam pics today at work. This may not be a monster to some of you guys, but I've never killed anything this big and it's HUGE to me. Hope y'all enjoy it and hope me or my buddy, don't care which one, kills it!

[URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/blue89k5/media/Screenshot_2013-09-23-19-40-21_zpsdd5eb81b.png.html]Screenshot_2013-09-23-19-40-21_zpsdd5eb8[/URL]

[URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/blue89k5/media/8pointer2013pic2-20130923-193305_zpsbc6d94c9.jpg.html]8pointer2013pic2-20130923-193305_zpsbc6d[/URL]

• Like 3
That's a good deer! Def a shooter for me down here. Heck, last day of season in Illinois it's also a shooter :-) I hope you get on him opening day before he wanders into someone else's arrow! Two years in a row I've been beat by a neighbor that does nothing but reap the rewards of my hard work lol
  • Like 1

That's a good deer! Def a shooter for me down here. Heck, last day of season in Illinois it's also a shooter :-) I hope you get on him opening day before he wanders into someone else's arrow! Two years in a row I've been beat by a neighbor that does nothing but reap the rewards of my hard work lol

I thought so too. He's twice what I've ever killed. Not going to stop me from killing one smaller than him though, as he may never come back again. If my friend kills him, I'll be happy. If someone else or a car on the highway kills him, not so happy. I hope you get to reap your own rewards this year bubba! 4 more days of slavin away at the hell hole, and in the woods we go!!!

I thought so too. He's twice what I've ever killed. Not going to stop me from killing one smaller than him though, as he may never come back again. If my friend kills him, I'll be happy. If someone else or a car on the highway kills him, not so happy. I hope you get to reap your own rewards this year bubba! 4 more days of slavin away at the hell hole, and in the woods we go!!!

I took vacation starting Thursday and covering the full first week of bow season. I feel ya on the struggling thru work part, just knowing that even though I'm off I can't go into the woods till sat. Makes me wanna sleep in my stand Friday night!

I took vacation starting Thursday and covering the full first week of bow season. I feel ya on the struggling thru work part, just knowing that even though I'm off I can't go into the woods till sat. Makes me wanna sleep in my stand Friday night!

I haven't taken any time off yet, gonna wait and see what the weather does. I was afraid I'd take off the first week of bow season, and the second week, the temps would drop 15 degrees! It will be weekends only for me for awhile, unless I run up, and hunt for a couple of hours before work. My boss would understand if I was an hour late because I had to drop the deer off....well, as long as he got some jerky lol

I'm with ya on sleepin in the stand, but I'd make sure I had 3 safety harnesses on or I may be the one getting dropped off for preppin!  :rofl:

Nice deer Ruger.  Looks to be about a 3.5 year old 8 point.  At 3.5 years old, deer display about 75% of full antler potential. So if he gives you the slip this year, next year he will have more girth and maybe slightly wider/taller antlers.  

• Like 1

Nice deer Ruger.  Looks to be about a 3.5 year old 8 point.  At 3.5 years old, deer display about 75% of full antler potential. So if he gives you the slip this year, next year he will have more girth and maybe slightly wider/taller antlers.

Yay! I guessed 3.5 this morning, I'm learning!! :lol: He would be really nice next year, but hoping I can stunt his growth Saturday morning Slappy :)
  • Like 2

Yay! I guessed 3.5 this morning, I'm learning!! :lol: He would be really nice next year, but hoping I can stunt his growth Saturday morning Slappy :)

Good job!!  Aging a deer based on body structure is rather difficult.  The best way to age a deer is with the jawbone but if you find out you shot a younger deer than you wanted, its too late! haha

That is a wise buck.  The older he gets the wiser he will get.  Make sure when you try to hunt him, that you do not educate him.  Meaning, make sure the wind is 100% perfect for you. Make sure you neutralize and cover your scent prior to walking to your stand.  See if you can pattern him further by finding out what other parts of property he visits and at what times.  Good luck!  He would be a shooter in my book, especially with my bow!

• Like 1

Good job!!  Aging a deer based on body structure is rather difficult.  The best way to age a deer is with the jawbone but if you find out you shot a younger deer than you wanted, its too late! haha

That is a wise buck.  The older he gets the wiser he will get.  Make sure when you try to hunt him, that you do not educate him.  Meaning, make sure the wind is 100% perfect for you. Make sure you neutralize and cover your scent prior to walking to your stand.  See if you can pattern him further by finding out what other parts of property he visits and at what times.  Good luck!  He would be a shooter in my book, especially with my bow!

I learn something new every time I step in the woods. Soooooo you're saying if I shoot it, check the jawbone, and change my mind...that's not good? :rofl:  KIDDING!

I'm TRYING to pretend I never saw the images of him, so I can stay "calm". Also, I don't want to feel let down if he never shows up. So basically I'm staying pumped up about all the other deer that we've seen on the cam. I'm here to tell you, if a nice doe steps out at 6:30 Saturday morning, I'm taking the shot. I've messed up many times thinking, "Well, I don't want to shoot her because a buck may be behind her". And while that is 100% true, I've went home empty handed thinking like that more times than I care to remember. I'm filling the freezer first.

If I kill that big one as my first bow kill, I would probably literally have to sit down for 2 hours afterwards....seriously!

• Like 1

I'm in a good mood today.

Found an active Rub line on a nice 'very huntable' trail.

Then found an 8 point 'big enough for my first Bow Season' Buck on my Trailcam by some Mock Scrapes that I did.

Even if i don't see anything on Saturday, at least I won't feel like I am just hunting in the dark.

• Like 2

I learn something new every time I step in the woods. Soooooo you're saying if I shoot it, check the jawbone, and change my mind...that's not good? :rofl:  KIDDING!

I'm TRYING to pretend I never saw the images of him, so I can stay "calm". Also, I don't want to feel let down if he never shows up. So basically I'm staying pumped up about all the other deer that we've seen on the cam. I'm here to tell you, if a nice doe steps out at 6:30 Saturday morning, I'm taking the shot. I've messed up many times thinking, "Well, I don't want to shoot her because a buck may be behind her". And while that is 100% true, I've went home empty handed thinking like that more times than I care to remember. I'm filling the freezer first.

If I kill that big one as my first bow kill, I would probably literally have to sit down for 2 hours afterwards....seriously!

You need to read this.  :-)

5 Reasons to Take Does Early

http://www.qdma.com/articles/5-reasons-to-take-does-early

Basically, when you balance the buck to doe ratio, the bucks become MUCH more visible.  So if you try and shoot the buck behind her you hurt your chances in the future of seeing multiple trophy bucks.  Reason being: If you have too many does the bucks dont have to travel to find them and will remain hidden from you.  

Also, its amazing how much deer eat.  By shooting does, you save a lot of tonnage that your bucks and remaining animals will enjoy throughout the harsh winter.  The better your food and the less your does, means a MUCH more intense rut (visible bucks), the more intense the rut, the better the doe are breed (no 2nd rut or late births), the better the doe breed combined with the more available food means does giving birth to multiple healthy deer.  Its all a wonderful cycle, but it starts  by letting the young bucks walk, and taking a lot of does.  It takes a few years to see visible progress, but you will notice it immediately in body size.  

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1

I'm in a good mood today.

Found an active Rub line on a nice 'very huntable' trail.

Then found an 8 point 'big enough for my first Bow Season' Buck on my Trailcam by some Mock Scrapes that I did.

Even if i don't see anything on Saturday, at least I won't feel like I am just hunting in the dark.

Glad to hear that EH! I have a question for you. I bought a Tink's mock scrap kit tonight. Since I have plenty of movement (as of right now anyway), would it be okay to start one before this weekend, or should I leave well enough alone since they are coming in already?

Reason number 6 to take does early:

Does make great jerky and summer sausage to snack on while hunting for "THE" buck you're after :-)

Amen to that, plus my Mom wants her own whole deer this time so she doesn't have to keep driving to my house. I said "YOU DON'T LOVE ME!" LMAO!  :rofl:

• Like 1

You need to read this.  :-)

5 Reasons to Take Does Early

http://www.qdma.com/articles/5-reasons-to-take-does-early

Basically, when you balance the buck to doe ratio, the bucks become MUCH more visible.  So if you try and shoot the buck behind her you hurt your chances in the future of seeing multiple trophy bucks.  Reason being: If you have too many does the bucks dont have to travel to find them and will remain hidden from you.  

Also, its amazing how much deer eat.  By shooting does, you save a lot of tonnage that your bucks and remaining animals will enjoy throughout the harsh winter.  The better your food and the less your does, means a MUCH more intense rut (visible bucks), the more intense the rut, the better the doe are breed (no 2nd rut or late births), the better the doe breed combined with the more available food means does giving birth to multiple healthy deer.  Its all a wonderful cycle, but it starts  by letting the young bucks walk, and taking a lot of does.  It takes a few years to see visible progress, but you will notice it immediately in body size.  

That's a pretty good read Slappy, with some good info and it makes sense, thanks! I want a huge buck like everyone else but don't think I won't be happy to kill a doe and post it up here as soon as I get home....and be PROUD of what I'd accomplished. I never thought about the button bucks being close to mature doe size at the end of the season, but that makes sense too. I wouldn't want to make that mistake, especially if I'd killed my limit on bucks already <-- I hope I have that problem! 

I can't wait either! I'd like to put a couple of tasty does in the freezer early on in the season. That way I can relax and hunt a good buck during the rut knowing that I've already got backstraps for the table. I'm really late getting my cameras out though.

Batman, I got to feeling bad about your chigger infestation so I went to your stand and sprayed a bunch of insecticide around and put a bunch of wolf urine down. I heard the chiggers are afraid of wolves.  :taunt:

• Like 2

Glad to hear that EH! I have a question for you. I bought a Tink's mock scrap kit tonight. Since I have plenty of movement (as of right now anyway), would it be okay to start one before this weekend, or should I leave well enough alone since they are coming in already?

Have you found any real scrapes? If so, you can get a drip bag to hang over it that drips during daylight to adjust their pattern. If you don't have any real scrapes, I've had great luck with mock scrapes in the past. Personally, I will be waiting until we get a cold snap before I start thinking about scrapes though, but I don't think you would hurt anything by doing it now. I wouldn't be very aggressive with the scent though until closer to the rut.

I can't wait either! I'd like to put a couple of tasty does in the freezer early on in the season. That way I can relax and hunt a good buck during the rut knowing that I've already got backstraps for the table. I'm really late getting my cameras out though.

Even though I don't hunt to sustain myself, I find that if I take a doe or scrub buck early in the season, I will really hesitate on taking a deer that would be nice next year just to get some meat in the freezer. An early doe or two has saved some medium bucks lives several times.

As I posted earlier, being smoked by a neighbor 2 yrs in a row gets to you though! I let a decent 9 pt walk last year, thinking man if he makes it he'll be a daddy next year, about 80 yards after he jumped the fence headed to bedding ground, boom goes the neighbor and pile drives the buck...sometimes it doesn't pay to be patient lol. He was excited he finally got "his" deer. It was his since he'd watched it come from my farm almost like clockwork every evening :-) Edited by Wiljo05
  • Like 2

Have you found any real scrapes? If so, you can get a drip bag to hang over it that drips during daylight to adjust their pattern. If you don't have any real scrapes, I've had great luck with mock scrapes in the past. Personally, I will be waiting until we get a cold snap before I start thinking about scrapes though, but I don't think you would hurt anything by doing it now. I wouldn't be very aggressive with the scent though until closer to the rut.

No I haven't. Except for the deer trails, you wouldn't think there were any deer around at all if we didn't have the camera pictures to prove different. I agree on not being aggressive with any scents till closer to rut, that's why I was afraid to start the scrape. I may leave well enough alone for now and if I don't see anything, then try the scape. Thanks for the info.

Even though I don't hunt to sustain myself, I find that if I take a doe or scrub buck early in the season, I will really hesitate on taking a deer that would be nice next year just to get some meat in the freezer. An early doe or two has saved some medium bucks lives several times.

As I posted earlier, being smoked by a neighbor 2 yrs in a row gets to you though! I let a decent 9 pt walk last year, thinking man if he makes it he'll be a daddy next year, about 80 yards after he jumped the fence headed to bedding ground, boom goes the neighbor and pile drives the buck...sometimes it doesn't pay to be patient lol. He was excited he finally got "his" deer. It was his since he'd watched it come from my farm almost like clockwork every evening :-)

I hope you get even with him this year and kill a monster off his land lol.

Batman, I got to feeling bad about your chigger infestation so I went to your stand and sprayed a bunch of insecticide around and put a bunch of wolf urine down. I heard the chiggers are afraid of wolves.  :taunt:

Lol. Thanks for looking out for me! I heard that sasquatchs are attracted to wolves though, so now I'm scared :)

Speaking of chiggers, this is the year of the bug for me. I went out to my property a couple of days ago and stirred up a ground nest of yellow jackets!! Thankfully, they didn't sting me on top of my healing chigger wounds, but I got some exercise running like a fool through the woods, lol. I feel like the woods are trying to tell me to stay out
  • Like 1

Lol. Thanks for looking out for me! I heard that sasquatchs are attracted to wolves though, so now I'm scared :)

Speaking of chiggers, this is the year of the bug for me. I went out to my property a couple of days ago and stirred up a ground nest of yellow jackets!! Thankfully, they didn't sting me on top of my healing chigger wounds, but I got some exercise running like a fool through the woods, lol. I feel like the woods are trying to tell me to stay out

LMAO <--no, really, I just busted out laughing picturing you running through the woods. Mostly because if it was me, I'd probably fall like they do in scary movies  :rofl:  Glad they didn't get you though.

Speaking of scary movies and sasquatches, I was skimming the game cam pics and thought I saw a sasquatch, but it was me! Not much difference in the two really. ha ha

LMAO <--no, really, I just busted out laughing picturing you running through the woods. Mostly because if it was me, I'd probably fall like they do in scary movies :rofl: Glad they didn't get you though.
Speaking of scary movies and sasquatches, I was skimming the game cam pics and thought I saw a sasquatch, but it was me! Not much difference in the two really. ha ha

I laughed too after it was over because I knew how crazy I must have looked. I ran through plenty of spider webs too which added to the whole experience with arms flailing. It's always annoyed me that spiders build their webs at face level in the woods. After the chigger incident, I'm surprised I didn't get stung by all of them. I will proceed with caution on Saturday, lol.

If you see a guy duel wielding Thermacells and a tank of Deet, that's me :) Edited by Batman
  • Like 2