North American Arms

Scradoozy

But ... ... ... but ... ... you can HIT with it at 20 feet????? Now I'm feeling old and decrepit. I can hit what I aim at, out to 7 or 8 feet.

I have been immensely impressed with accuracy. I don't think I have tested them outside of 20ft but I would suspect great accuracy. Have you tried a two hand grip where you hold the grip with your strong hands thumb and index finger with your support hands index finger as the trigger finger?

Heck, fellers, I never DID blame that lil revolver.  Figured all along it was ME ... and hearing others tell about HITTING what they were shooting at at any distance much, well, I'm just a little shamed.

But you are right, Aces&8s -- I figure it for a last-ditch, up-close and nasty protector.  And I CAN, and it WILL, do that.

Patton, 'til I put those oversized rubber grips on it, I was struggling to get two FINGERS on it, much less two hands. I'll give that a try.

I do seriously believe that you fellas have motivated me to try again ... and again ... til maybe I can hit out to 10 or 12 feet at least.

Since it's been my constant companion, maybe I've taken it for granted that it was last-ditch, and haven't applied myself as I should (most of my practice is with 9's and 45's).  But since sometimes I have to leave those at home or in the vehicle, obviously I need more work with the NAA.  Think I'll feed it another box or two, next time I'm on the farm.

Question for the NAA owners here- if at the time you were making your purchase, there was a Heizer Doubletap as an option, which would you go with?
5 round SA of 22
or
2 round DA of 45ACP

Apples to oranges. The double tap is MUCH larger than the NAAs. The double tap is actually bigger than many of the pocket 380s. It is 5.5" long (same length as my Sig P290 9mm). The Double Tap has no advantage I can see as a ccw weapon. It is slightly slimmer but not enough for the trade off in number if rounds. I like small guns and could see the appeal of the double tap as a novelty, but why would anyone choose it as a pocket gun?

Double Tap

Length 5.5"
Height 3.9"
Width .665"
Weight 13-15oz

LCP
Length 5.16"
Height 3.6"
Width .80"
Weight 9.4oz
6+1 380acp

Kahr CM9
Length 5.4"
Height 4.0
Width .90"
Weight 14oz
6+1 9mm

I would not choose 2 rounds of 45 over 6 rounds of 32,380,9mm, or 45. I would choose 5 rounds of 22mag over a pocket knife which is more of an accurate size comparison to the NAA Edited by Tennjed
  • Like 1

I used to look at the minis and think that they would be pretty well useless.  Then I read folks on some, other forums talk about how much they liked theirs and started changing my mind.  When I came across the one I have, used, at what I still believe was a great price I decided to go for it.  Now, I'd kind of like to add a couple more.  In fact, I have to confess that I might one day decide to get one of the 1 1/8 inch barrel, .22LR only models just so I can carry it in the 'enclosed' style belt buckle.

http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/l-accessories/l-cc/belt-buckle-enclosed.html

For years, that was the only belt buckle that NAA offered and only made them for the shorter .22LR models.  They now offer a 'skeleton' belt buckle - including one that will fit the magnum versions - but I don't really like the way it looks (nor do I think it looks very safe or secure.)

http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/m-accessories/m-cc/bbs-m.html

Heck, fellers, I never DID blame that lil revolver.  Figured all along it was ME ... and hearing others tell about HITTING what they were shooting at at any distance much, well, I'm just a little shamed.

But you are right, Aces&8s -- I figure it for a last-ditch, up-close and nasty protector.  And I CAN, and it WILL, do that.

Patton, 'til I put those oversized rubber grips on it, I was struggling to get two FINGERS on it, much less two hands. I'll give that a try.

I do seriously believe that you fellas have motivated me to try again ... and again ... til maybe I can hit out to 10 or 12 feet at least.

Since it's been my constant companion, maybe I've taken it for granted that it was last-ditch, and haven't applied myself as I should (most of my practice is with 9's and 45's).  But since sometimes I have to leave those at home or in the vehicle, obviously I need more work with the NAA.  Think I'll feed it another box or two, next time I'm on the farm.

Maybe you just need to put a laser on it...

http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/m-accessories/m-cc/sll-naa-1.html

Yeah, okay, so that is kind of like putting a Flowmaster muffler on a go-kart.

Edited by JAB

In my own reality, based on my own skill set and experience, under actual duress, this gun would be a nose-picker, plain and simple.

In the same vein as your statement, there is a guy on another forum to which I belong who calls them 'ear, nose and throat' guns.

STOP IT NOW !!!!! I am about to sell more crap to get one !!!!! LOL . Seriously I did have a Mini in .22LR and loved it and now I am really thinking about getting one again ! Man that is the only thing you can really use the small little pocket in your blue jeans for ! 

I want to get rid of the grip on it though.  far too big for my tastes and purpose.

Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of the folding grips, myself but have run across a couple of folks on various forums who love them.

For me, the original, wooden 'birds head' grips just weren't getting the job done very well in my mitts - especially shooting with my even less dexterous non-dominant (left) hand.  What I really wanted was a set of the wooden 'boot grips'.  I've never fired an NAA with them but have held one or two and they feel nice and stable.  I was able to get a set of the large, rubber (Black Widow style but with the NAA logo on them rather than the Black Widow emblem, like the ones that come on the Mini Master models) for less than half what the boot grips would have cost with shipping, etc. so I went with those, instead.  They work well, for me, and provide a much larger grip without really taking up a lot more real estate in my pocket because, although they are taller and 'deeper', they still aren't very thick.

I have also heard opinions from guys who use the pebbled, slip on type grip (the type that comes standard on the PUG models) that those are much easier to hang onto than the originals without really adding any size or bulk.

Edited by JAB

Ohh those are nice.  I was thinking about what some Smith style grips would be like on one, or classic derringer flat bottom ones like that.

Those are the boot grips I was talking about - at a much better price than direct from NAA the last time I checked.  As I said, I have never fired one with those on it but have held one or two and the grip feels nice and stable, not to mention they look great on the gun, IMO (better than the birds head grips, in fact.)

Notice, though, that Tennjed's link is (as he mentioned in his post) for the 'Long Rifle only' version of the grips.  If you have the magnum or combo version then it will require these:

http://www.amazon.com/GBGM-Boot-Grip-Laminated-Wood/dp/B00162LR3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378829039&sr=8-3&keywords=NAA+Boot+Grip

Edited by JAB

No I got the .22 LR version.  Couldn't bring myself to buy a .22 mag version for very little trade off at close range imo.  I didn't want to have to go out and buy another caliber either.  I might pull the flip grips on this one off and see how hard it would be to make my own out of some wood pieces I have at the shop.

[quote name="JAB" post="1030210" timestamp="1378828951"] Those are the boot grips I was talking about - at a much better price than direct from NAA the last time I checked. As I said, I have never fired one with those on it but have held one or two and the grip feels nice and stable, not to mention they look great on the gun, IMO (better than the birds head grips, in fact.) Notice, though, that Tennjed's link is (as he mentioned in his post) for the 'Long Rifle only' version of the grips. If you have the magnum or combo version then it will require these: [url="http://www.amazon.com/GBGM-Boot-Grip-Laminated-Wood/dp/B00162LR3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378829039&sr=8-3&keywords=NAA+Boot+Grip"]http://www.amazon.com/GBGM-Boot-Grip-Laminated-Wood/dp/B00162LR3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378829039&sr=8-3&keywords=NAA+Boot+Grip[/url][/quote] I haven't gotten then in yet, should be in, in a day or two. I will post my opinions on them. I did something I don't usually do and bought them without every handling one in person. I do think that will be at least an improvement over the "birdshead" style that came on it. The 22lr only frame is so small, the grips on them now are too small Edited by Tennjed
I. Want. One.

My brother has the .22 Mag, and I've shot it a few times. I've wanted one for a while, just can't get the funds together (or approved, rather). I want one for the convenience and being able to throw it in my pocket and at least have something besides a blade. Someday...
Guest The Itis

I have the option of purchasing a mini-revolver in 22mag

$225 with that laserlite or $150 without the laser.

I have to pull the trigger soon and I haven't had nearly enough time to become acquainted with NAA's offerings.

Are those good prices? Is the laser worth it or does the bulk defeat the purpose of a mini revolver?

If it's the top-mount laser, to me it's not worth it. These guns can be aimed pretty much the same as you would aim your index finger, even with the fixed sights.

I see the laser as being pretty useless on one of these.

I agree no reason to get the laser. But if the gun is in good shape $150 without the laser is a fair price