Rossi 357 lever action with lead cast reloads

Tennjed

Anybody have any issues using reloads in a Rossi 357 lever action. I am looking to pick up one. It is a 24" with an octagon barrel. I reload 357 with lead cast RN, SWC, & wad cutters. I assume the wad cutters and semi wad cutters may give me feeding issues.

Also it says 12 rd capacity. Will it hold more 38sp since they are shorter?

Also it says 12 rd capacity. Will it hold more 38sp since they are shorter?          

I have a shorter saddle ring carbine, and it does hold another round or two of 38 than 357.

I shoot lead round nose 38s in it, and they shoot and feed well. I haven't yet tried wadcutters nor semi wadcutters. I wouldn't expect them to feed well, but I guess I could get it out and see.

They are really neat rifles. You'll like it a lot.

I have a shorter saddle ring carbine, and it does hold another round or two of 38 than 357.

I shoot lead round nose 38s in it, and they shoot and feed well. I haven't yet tried wadcutters nor semi wadcutters. I wouldn't expect them to feed well, but I guess I could get it out and see.

They are really neat rifles. You'll like it a lot.

Thanks, yeah I have been wanting one for a while I am just a little nervous on feeding and extraction issues. A Internet search turns up mostly positive results but there are a fair number of complaints about feeding and extraction.

Do most people that shoot them in cowboy action matches shoot reloads or factory? One day I plan on getting into that and that is one reason I want the rossi. I have one vaquero in 357 and will pick another one up soon

I just tried wadcutters in mine, and they didn't want to feed properly. It'll feed all manners of 38/357 flatnose, round nose, hollow point, etc., just like corn through a goose. I wonder if it is a length issue with the wadcutters, or a shape issue. I don't have any SWCs loaded to try.

I know nothing about cowboy action shooting, but it does look like fun.

I've got one and mine was having feeding issues with alot of the 38's and some SWC's. I have since shortened the magazine spring and solved most of those problems. Seems that alot of the Rossi s have extra long springs. Can't remember where I read about it, but I tried cutting a couple inches off and it has helped tremendously. YMMV

• Like 1
Thanks guys. I will be meeting the guy in a couple of days to look it over. It is stainless (high polish) but it has had the barrel bead blasted. He had a gun smith do it to keep the glare down. Sounds like a good idea, but the pics he sent me were crappy cell phone pics. Has anyone seen one done that way? I am afraid the high polished body may not look right with the bead blasted barrels.

My Rossi .357 is the 20" barrel version, and it feeds anything I put in it with no problems. Just lucky, I guess.

I did see some vids about shortening the magazine spring and replacing the follower with the aftermarket metal one, but I haven't done either yet, although both mods are on the "to do" list.

one of these is on my short list to get. I could imagine the sharper angles of the wadcutters causing issues. I would personally use round nose flat points most likely. ive been running som SCW in my revolver but will move to the round nose flat points next. had a couple SWC shoulders hang up on faster reloads.