Rant: FFL transfers

DRM

Guest grimel

But I'll be honest - if you guys who are FFL's want to complain about them so much - why not just stop doing them? I personally don't agree with the concept that FFL transfer customers are somehow less important than any other customer.

Because they do a service for (usually) repeat customers. I'm pretty sure I've done at least 10 transfers this year with Phantom. I'm running about 50/50 idiots on the other end.

What does doing the transfers get Phantom? I buy other guns and stuff from him not to mention classes and the few dozen people I've sent his way because he does ME a service at a reasonable price as quickly as he can (we won't get into how much effort WE put into getting the paper work right on a rifle).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

But I'll be honest - if you guys who are FFL's want to complain about them so much - why not just stop doing them? I personally don't agree with the concept that FFL transfer customers are somehow less important than any other customer.

I've got $12k a month clients, and I've got $300 a month clients - and I do my level best to treat every one of them as equal as possible.

I NEVER said that transfer customers are any less important than any other customer. If you read something into my post that was not there that is your fault, not mine. I believe every phone call or visit is important. Otherwise I'd do as you suggest and quit providing the service at any price and tell the transfer customers to go pound sand. But that's not servicing my customers. Every single individual that calls or comes through my door, whether he's a man buying a pair of Sako 75 Stainless Synthetics for he and his son to hunt with or a simple transfer customer, deserves my utmost attention because there are other places any of them could do business with. I appreciate the opportunity to service their needs because it builds relationships which builds our business. As I said in my previous post, "Gun transfers are a customer service/customer development thing but sometimes it is down right frustrating."

I believe that it was Roger Staubach that said " There are no traffic jams along the extra mile." From a customer's point of view this is sad but from my point of view as a customer service oriented business owner it is what I believe should be a corner stone of any enduring business and on top of that, it allows our organization to stand out above the crowd.

Edited by Phantom6
Several pages later - and I still don't see anyone complaining about a reasonable fee.

Last time I checked, YOU started this thread to complain about the high fee requested by one of your local FFLs.

I didnt see Franklin Gun (or any other dealer for that matter) coming here starting threads like, "I can't believe my customer's dont like paying 50.00 per transfer"

Look man, its a free market economy.

Don't like the price or quality of the services received? Simple: TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

We have beat this subject to death in multiple threads.

I think we have all come to the concensious that:

1. Its acceptable for dealers to charge a fee for their transfer services

2. Dealers may charge whatever they wish to for these services

3. You are not required to use a particular transfer agent, so if you dont like the fee, the attitude, or what the guy is wearing; continue your search

You as the customer can not directly influence or dictate a dealer's fees or prices. Their business. Their prices.

But, you CAN influence him indirectly. If a dealer's price/fee is perceived too high; don't do business with them. They will get the point eventually.

Edited by BimmerFreak
I NEVER said that transfer customers are any less important than any other customer. If you read something into my post that was not there that is your fault, not mine.

Funny thing about the conditional statement I made...

*if* what I said doesn't apply to you, then it wasn't addressed to you - even though your post may have been quoted at the start :screwy:

But when you read the sum total of the thread, a reader can get the impression that some people/businesses are flat out complaining about having to "deal with" transfers. I am simply suggesting that it's probably better for you as a business - if you feel it is not worth your time - to just kindly say you don't do them, than to do them begrudgingly or charge some high price to try and discourage the customer from using you (which is what I assume Franklin Gun Shop was doing).

And when I walk in a shop and ask about a transfer, and I get the feeling that the shopkeep is wanting to hurry me out of the way to get to "real paying customers", then yeah - it becomes a first vs. second class customer issue.

And to be clear - if that isn't you, then it's not directed at you :)

But, you CAN influence him indirectly. If a dealer's price/fee is perceived too high; don't do business with them. They will get the point eventually.

I prefer a more active role rather than a passive one. Such as discussing overly high prices openly to let others know before they walk in the door and waste their time like I did.

Oh, and BTW, I should have my NoDak receiver on it's way thanks to another FFL that is charging a reasonable fee for a reasonable service - which I have no complaints in paying :)

And keep in mind - I started this thread in a light-hearted manner, as evidenced by the [rant] markings. I was looking for some good bater, and I think I found some... thanks.

But when you read the sum total of the thread, a reader can get the impression that some people/businesses are flat out complaining about having to "deal with" transfers. I am simply suggesting that it's probably better for you as a business - if you feel it is not worth your time - to just kindly say you don't do them,

I suspect that dealers would rather not do them. Not much profit there for the work. But I'm not sure just refusing to do a transfer is good business either. Obviously high transfer fees anger customers. It probably is better to just say no to transfers than make a customer feel the dealer is trying to rip him off. It's a no-win situation for the dealers. If I was a gun dealer, I'd hold my nose and charge 20 bucks for it, smiling all the time.

I suspect that dealers would rather not do them. Not much profit there for the work. But I'm not sure just refusing to do a transfer is good business either. Obviously high transfer fees anger customers. It probably is better to just say no to transfers than make a customer feel the dealer is trying to rip him off. It's a no-win situation for the dealers. If I was a gun dealer, I'd hold my nose and charge 20 bucks for it, smiling all the time.

Certainly they would rather not do them; they would rather sell what they have or (I thought) what they could get for their customers.

I say to heck with transfer fees just let the dealer know what I want and let him get it. Instead of transfer fees he’s making money on the sale. That didn’t work so well with the last new gun I needed.

I am surprised that not one person here has mention the overhead a dealer incurs

just to have a location. I work at a auto auction. We collect fee's from the buyer and the seller. These average about $225.00 each way. This is so a basic set of rules are followed and the paperwork. I hear complaints every week about the fee's. But the customers keep coming back every week. We have a very large overhead.

The dealer has made a investment. I have never done a gun purchase on a dealer transfer.I go to the dealer, ask if he can get what I want. I ask the OTD price.

If it is acceptable I buy it. I deal in $20K to $40k cars all the time and the transaction usually last less than 5 minutes. Same with $50.00 and up cars which usually cause me more problems. Totally different type of car dealer.

I feel that a dealer has the right to charge what he wants. Not all gun shops are equal. Some are nicer than others, which incurs a larger overhead.

I feel that a dealer has the right to charge what he wants. Not all gun shops are equal. Some are nicer than others, which incurs a larger overhead.

I don't think most gun buyers will pay more for a nicer place to buy from. If you have higher overhead, you had also better have a higher volume of sales to offset it.

In the many moves I have made in the service to country...., one of the first things I do (after getting the cable up for the kids) is to find a transfer FFL.

My norm is too walk in and ask, "Hey, will you do a free transfer for me if I buy $xxx.xx amount of ammo from you?"

I have found that the shops that agree to that deal become good to do business with on more than just a transfer.

I don't think most gun buyers will pay more for a nicer place to buy from. If you have higher overhead, you had also better have a higher volume of sales to offset it.

Nicer does not always = appearance. It could include inventory, overall

services offered and location. I have purchased from some hole in the wall's. They still have overhead. $20.00 does not got very far these days.

I say to heck with transfer fees just let the dealer know what I want and let him get it. Instead of transfer fees he’s making money on the sale.

If all you buy are new guns that might work. I really don't want many gunshops trying to get me an AK. I can't think of any shops I want to get me a S&W Russian.

If all you buy are new guns that might work. I really don't want many gunshops trying to get me an AK. I can't think of any shops I want to get me a S&W Russian.

S&W Russians are C&R. Spend $30 on a three year license and buy them yourself. AK's are all over the place.

S&W Russians are C&R. Spend $30 on a three year license and buy them yourself. AK's are all over the place.

Russians were a random example. Your response to AK's is EXACTLY why I don't want a gunshop getting me an AK.

In the many moves I have made in the service to country...., one of the first things I do (after getting the cable up for the kids) is to find a transfer FFL.

My norm is too walk in and ask, "Hey, will you do a free transfer for me if I buy .xx amount of ammo from you?"

I have found that the shops that agree to that deal become good to do business with on more than just a transfer.

Interesting litmus test. Thanks.