1911 in 9mm??

bushfox25

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only "perfectly functioning" 9mm 1911 i've found\seen is the EMP. All the others are built like a .45 but chambered for 9mm. Lots of failures to cycle, extract, etc.

I'm sure others have have had good experiences. Just not I.

We had issues with a Wilson Combat 9mm 1911. We had to send it back to Wilson because of FTF/FTE/FTW (failure to work) issues.

Wilson said one of the biggest issues was the magazine, which they were outsourcing at the time.

They got it running, but it took a few times to get it right.

I have owned a Colt, EMP and STI in 9MM. The EMP was flawless but too small for IDPA. Most of my IDPA buddies shoot STI's and love them. My STI TRojan is new and has not had one failure out of the box in 200 rounds. I bought some metalform 10 round mags and they function very well also. I am extremly happy with the platform.

Guest Todd@CIS

I had a full-sized Kimber 9mm. It functioned flawlessly and was extremely accurate. I just wished Kimber had offered fixed sights for there 9mms at the time.

BTW, I used MetalForm .38Super mags in that gun.

I would go with a EMP. I've put about 1500-1600 rounds down the pipe with only one hiccup and that was in the first 50rds. I think that was a combo of ammo and or the gun being brand new. Since then it's been flawless. That 1911 was built to be a 9mm.

I've got a .38 Super I am fiddling with, trying to get it to reliably shoot 9mm. It is not simply "drop in 9mm barrel/link/pin/bushing and go to town." The .38 Super mags work for either caliber, but the extractor and ejector don't reliably work with 9mm, great with .38 Super though. I am working on that. It gets rolling sometimes and I think, "now this is fun." However, I'll soon have a stovepipe or FTE and I have the pleasure of practicing MALF drills.

Now that I am into it I'm not crazy about the whole 9mm 1911 "thing" although an EMP would be fun. In retrospect I would not do this again, opting instead to save my money for ammo to run through one of my Glock 9mms or simply get a CZ75 Single Action. The 1911 experiment is a chore. It is way more fun to just shoot my stainless steel (CCF) frame Glock 17 or my aftermarket G34.

So far (about 3000 rds) my Kimber Stainless II in 9mm has run like a raped ape. I have been using Tripp 10 rd Cobra mags from the start and have had 0 malfunctions. The only thing is the chamber needs to be reamed a little. With 125 gr RNL, I have to load very short to chamber.

DaG

Guest Rugerman

Listen, your For Sale thread already got my heart pounding and I was EXTREMELY close to PM'ing you, but I had to exercise some self control. Don't tempt me further;) Seriously though, what other company is currently manufacturing full sized or commander sized 1911 9mm? I know Kimber, anyone else?

Guest macmonkey

I'm very interested in going to the 1911 platform for a new Match/Range pistol. I've always shot .40 in semi. Seems that the 9mm would be a little less recoil and cheaper to send down range. Am I way off or should I go with standard .45?

Listen, your For Sale thread already got my heart pounding and I was EXTREMELY close to PM'ing you, but I had to exercise some self control. Don't tempt me further;) Seriously though, what other company is currently manufacturing full sized or commander sized 1911 9mm? I know Kimber, anyone else?

Yeah you can get a Kimber Aegis...they are the same price as an EMP though and not nearly as nice IMHO. Give in to temptation or PM me for payment arrangements...heck I even take credit cards :hat: