Getting into bird hunting!

Guest Joshua__423

Guest Joshua__423

I am looking to get into bird hunting and I was wondering you guys opinion on a good shotgun that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I still havent decided between a pump or auto. Id also like your thoughts on that side of it. Is anyone better or is it just personal preference. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!  

Get an old Belgium made Browning A5 , it will serve you well for both. I have a Beretta Onyx O/U that I'm afraid to scratch , although it is scratched now. The third shot counts if you want 3 in a row , my Benelli Super Black Eagle is a duck slayer , but I love my dad's old A5 when it comes to a natural point and shoot shotgun. Edited by Threeeighty
  • Like 2

If by bird hunting you mean, dove, quail, pheasant, then really anything with at least a 26, 28 inch barrel will do. As folks mentioned the Remington 1100 is hard to beat if you are looking for a semi. Some folks prefer pumps, and if you go that route, I recommend picking up an older Wingmaster 870. The Wingmaster has a much better finish then the 870 express and you can find used wingmasters in very good shape for $300. The Benelli nova is another decent pump gun but it's a little more expensive. 

If you plan to use it for ducks or goose, you probably want something that shoots 3 inch magnum shells or even 3 1/2 inch. Here the choices are a little more limited. You can find wingmaster magnums that shoot 3 inch. I also believe the Benelli Nova can be had in a model that shoots 3 1/2 inch. Stoeger makes a pretty decent semi duck gun, the model 2000 that I have seen some good reviews of but have never shot. I think they run about $400. I have owned all the guns mentioned with the exception of the Stoeger so take that for what it's worth. 

I would check the classifieds here, maybe even some other online classifieds (not sure if I can post those here). I'm sure you can pick up a reliable shooter for $300-400. 

I love to bird hunt. I prefer a .20ga semi auto. Especially for quail. If you know you plan to pheasant or duck hunt a lot then a 12ga may be better. It's really about what you want to lug around all day. Most duck hunters like the 3 or 3,5 shells.

I am about to buy a new 20ga semi. Got it narrowed down to a Franchi Affinity or 1100. The Franchi is 2 pounds light. The 1100 is a classic.

Yup.
Guest Joshua__423

It would be for small birds. I have thought about a 20 gauge but they are just as much as the 12s. I have also been thinking about the o/u option. I havent shot much with one to know if they are better or worse.

Smaller gauge shotguns don't cost less than 12 gauge.  The ammo can be cheaper, especially if you reload.  IMO, 28 gauge is too expensive/hard to find and .410 is too small.  That leaves 20 gauge, since 16 gauge is practically obsolete.

I've killed hundreds of pheasants with my 12 gauge Ithaca pump, but I don't hunt any more.  For quail/dove I would start with a 20 gauge pump - Remington/Winchester/Ithaca/Mossberg/Whathaveyou and see if it met my needs.  YMMV.

I shoot trap and sheet frequently, and that translates to better performance out in the field fowl hunting.

Regardless of which fancy auto, pump, over and under or side by side you chose in a shotgun... The #1 thing to do first is get it fitted for YOU by a reputable gunsmith, or you'll never consistently hit your target.

Fitting means getting the correct curve and length of stock for your pull. I'm left handed and "all" manufactured long gun stocks are slightly curved for right handers. That will make a big difference in your accuracy and shoulder mount.

Your cheek weld is another main factor. I would advise getting an adjustable cheek comb on what ever gun you purchase.

The third and final thing I would suggest is getting a ribbed barrel with a second bead (two beads). That will show you proper alignment of the barrel and correct cheek weld with the figure eight sight or snowman if you will.

I've out shot people with $3,500.00 shotguns using a $350.00 scatter gun and vise versa. It's all in the fit and practice. I need to get mine fitted as we speak!

Just my three and a half cents worth.

Edited by Dennis1209
"Bird Hunting" generally infers upland birds. Lots of walking and dog work, not that much shooting, more carrying the shotgun. That would tend to make you lean towards a lighter gun. Also, in general, flushing birds which requires quickness, again lighter is better as is a shorter barrel...26" is plenty. So this is also a good place for your O/U shotguns. Dove hunting....heck anything will do, but I would tend to stay away from the lighter guns, or even recoil operated guns as a lot of shooting will make your shoulder sore, if not bruised up. Waterfowl tends to lean towards a heavier, longer gun capable of firing 3" shells. Not saying a gun won't handle every situation, but some work at some things better than others.

I personally like my Mossberg 535 12ga with a 20" turkey barrel a lot. its short and light. ive run some 3.5" 2600fps steel duck loads through it as well as 3" turkey loads all the way down to skeet/bird loads. no surprise as its a pump gun but it has never went bag when it needed to and is light and handy. ive shot skeet with it as well and do pretty good against others with much more expensive guns. its always more the shooter than the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Bird hunting... being an old cuss, that brings up memories of my teen aged years. The gun of choice was the only one you had in those days. No one could afford a gun for every type of hunt. It had to work for quail, dove, rabbits, squirrel, ducks, and even deer (why do you think they call them "buck shot". As many have said here, a good bird gun is light with a fast swing. The choke has a big role in bird hunting as well. Take a full choke, get a fast close in shot, and you're going to tear the bird up so bad you won't have anything to put on the plate. Improved cylinder choke is best for close in...and a modified choke for the longer shots, if you get an OU. Don't want to tear the birds up too much. Wild quail, done in a black iron skillet, on top of the stove...cooked like southern fried chicken, will be mighty tasty.

Good luck on the gun shopping...good luck on the bird hunting... and good eating on the table!