SS vs. Blued- Which coats better?

Guest The Itis

Guest The Itis

If I were looking to buy a gun that I planned on cerakoting/duracoating/etc, is there any reason to prefer a stainless finish or a blued finish for the gun to be coated?

Does one coat better than the other? Hold the coat, diff in prep work required, etc?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Itis

If properly prepared (stripped to bare metal), it doesn't matter.

But that's what I mean- stainless already is bare metal, but you would have to remove bluing on a blued gun to get to bare metal.

So, stainless is better because of significantly less prep work (noting that a deblued gun will coat the same)

But that's what I mean- stainless already is bare metal, but you would have to remove bluing on a blued gun to get to bare metal.

So, stainless is better because of significantly less prep work (noting that a deblued gun will coat the same)

Stainless isn't necessarily bare metal.  Some have a clear coat to help protect against scratches.  Regardless, you've got to roughen the surface so the coating will adhere properly.  It might take a few less minutes with stainless, but that's likely not worth the higher initial price of stainless. 

I see.

If that's the case, do you have to remove the bluing? or can you just roughen the surface and coat?

I'd remove the bluing.  The best way to do that is blast it with something like 240 grit AlOx media.  That'll clean the bluing off with minimal metal removal and result in an excellently roughed surface for paint adherence.  You can do the same with sandpaper, it's just a lot more labor intensive. 

Guest The Itis

Process isn't making sense to me.

If you remove the bluing, do you only do it for the outside parts? or are you trying to remove all bluing, even on inside surfaces?

I've seen bluing get removed with vinegar baths, but that seems to me like there will be de-blued parts that spray coats can't reach, meaning rust.

Edited by The Itis
I think you'd be fine for the most part, if you mean like the inside of a reciever, that would get painted as well with the outside. For small internal parts, you would have the gun completely stripped and either not take the finish (if there is even a finish on them) off.

What are you planning on refinishing?

I don't think it is necessary to remove bluing.  It is a good idea to roughen the surface well.  As a matter of fact, anodized aluminum will take Duracoat very well.  And phosphated steel (Parkerized) is an excellent base for Duracoat because it's porous.

If you plan to do internals, you may want to do something besides Duracoat as it will change the dimensions of coated pieces.  

I've done several guns with Duracoat.  Outsides only.  I think next time I am going to try Cerakote.  I've read that it's more involved, but better overall.