Spikes Tactical Blem Lower?

Slasher

Anyone picked up one of the Spikes Tactical blem lowers?  I have a regular Spikes lower and like the fit and finish of it, better than the PSA lower I picked up a while ago.  Spikes finish just feels better to me.

Wondering how bad the blems could be on it.

In line to get one of the TGO branded lowers but can get this for quite a bit cheaper and just looking for advice.

Thanks.

I have one ordered, could not pass that deal up. Black rifle disease is getting out of damn control...  its like feeding gremlins after midnight. I started out with a bushmaster carbon rifle, it gave birth to a NFA polymer lower, then a CMT billet lower, im in on the CMT TGO lower, and now a spikes blem.   

From what understand the blems are minimal and can be anything.  I have never held one though. I will tell you i picked up one of  CMT's upper blems they call it "ammo grade" is a pretty non existent blem i cannot really tell what they thought was blemished. 

Had one of the regular ones, ran great though their LPK's left a little to be desired. I still say one of the best AR triggers out there is the PSA lpk, that thing is SWEET and after having played with four, I know the first wasn't just a fluke. Any builds I do will be with a PSA LPK for that boss out of the box trigger and am going to throw one into my group buy lower and one into my newly acquired(and free mind you, woot!) MAG Tactical Systems MG-G4 lower, it's made out of a proprietary magnesium alloy, supposedly 35% lighter than standard T6.

Edited by whitewolf001

Had one of the regular ones, ran great though their LPK's left a little to be desired. I still say one of the best AR triggers out there is the PSA lpk, that thing is SWEET and after having played with four, I know the first wasn't just a fluke. Any builds I do will be with a PSA LPK for that boss out of the box trigger and am going to throw one into my group buy lower and one into my newly acquired(and free mind you, woot!) MAG Tactical Systems MG-G4 lower, it's made out of a proprietary magnesium alloy, supposedly 35% lighter than standard T6.

Based on my experience with 2 MAG Tactical lowers, you very well may be thankful it was free. In my humble opinion, they are garbage. 

[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1044024" timestamp="1380974706"] What should I keep an eye on?[/quote] The finish, while it looks pretty and smooth, was garbage on both of them. It didn't take much to knick and scratch through the finish, leaving the bright silver/gray material exposed. On one of them, once you got it put together, it was nearly impossible to get both the takedown and pivot pins in at the same time. After forcing them in, a hammer was needed to push the takedown pin back out. On the second one, the hole for the takedown pin detent and spring was drilled/molded/whatever process they use wrong, resulting in the takedown pin going in at an angle, not allowing it go all the way in. With a few passes of a drill bit slightly larger than the current detent/spring hole, it lined up fine. Both were purchased from Whittaker's at the same time. For the ridiculous price of $160-$180, I was expecting far better quality. Getting MAG Tactical to take care of the issue was such a nightmare, so giving up and never buying another one was a far easier solution. Yours was free, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Don't be surprised if the fit and finish don't withstand any amount of abuse. They may be lighter, but the fact that they require large pins (that you can only get from MAG, as far as I know) should be a bit telling on the real strength, or lack thereof. Edited by TripleDigitRide

The finish, while it looks pretty and smooth, was garbage on both of them. It didn't take much to knick and scratch through the finish, leaving the bright silver/gray material exposed. On one of them, once you got it put together, it was nearly impossible to get both the takedown and pivot pins in at the same time. After forcing them in, a hammer was needed to push the takedown pin back out. On the second one, the hole for the takedown pin detent and spring was drilled/molded/whatever process they use wrong, resulting in the takedown pin going in at an angle, not allowing it go all the way in. With a few passes of a drill bit slightly larger than the current detent/spring hole, it lined up fine. Both were purchased from Whittaker's at the same time. For the ridiculous price of $160-$180, I was expecting far better quality. Getting MAG Tactical to take care of the issue was such a nightmare, so giving up and never buying another one was a far easier solution. Yours was free, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Don't be surprised if the fit and finish don't withstand any amount of abuse. They may be lighter, but the fact that they require large pins (that you can only get from MAG, as far as I know) should be a bit telling on the real strength, or lack thereof.

I will report any problems if I come across any but the one we assembled for a customer was done in about 20 minutes, was rather a pleasure to put together BUT that doesn't mean quality control issues aren't there. I'll keep my eyes open for your said issues. The finish I'm not super worried about as that gives me a reason to Cerakote it. ;)

While the billet does look nice does it have any advantage over a regular lower?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Billet is a little bit stronger and more durable but if they haven't had any issues with lowers breaking in 50 years of operation, I doubt that they're gonna start now, well, unless it's one of those poly lowers and those are more fitment issues from what I've seen. If someone made a steel reinforced poly lower like a Glock mag or frame, that'd be a treat.

Edited by whitewolf001

Billet is a little bit stronger and more durable but if they haven't had any issues with lowers breaking in 50 years of operation, I doubt that they're gonna start now, well, unless it's one of those poly lowers and those are more fitment issues from what I've seen. If someone made a steel reinforced poly lower like a Glock mag or frame, that'd be a treat.

I've always been told that forged it actually stronger. 

I've always been told that forged it actually stronger. 

Forged as a metal is stronger because of the alum is compressed so much that it's stronger overall but billet are reinforced in certain key areas that aren't on a forge. Ounce to ounce, you are correct.

Edited by whitewolf001

Such as?

Well, I read that from one source but as far as I can tell, forging (in strength) trumps a billet but they're both technically made from a billet... all rather confusing.

Thanks guys. Looks like I may back out of the TGO lower billet buy then.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

WHAT??? Dude, it's a steal at that price! You're not paying that much more than a standard lower PLUS it's alot prettier than most others, to boot? It's got a flared integrated trigger guard. But if money is an issue I understand, times are tough.

Well, I read that from one source but as far as I can tell, forging (in strength) trumps a billet but they're both technically made from a billet... all rather confusing.

WHAT??? Dude, it's a steal at that price! You're not paying that much more than a standard lower PLUS it's alot prettier than most others, to boot? It's got a flared integrated trigger guard. But if money is an issue I understand, times are tough.

Billet is just a block of material. It could be wood billet, plastic billet, metal billet, micarta billet.  So yes, you can go from billet-->forging-->machining-->complete or billet-->machining-->complete and they're both technically billet.  It's more of a marketing thing though. "Ohhh billet, that sounds fancy." Like companies saying it's a "forged aluminum piece." You get the idea.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Billet is just a block of material. It could be wood billet, plastic billet, metal billet, micarta billet.  So yes, you can go from billet-->forging-->machining-->complete or billet-->machining-->complete and they're both technically billet.  It's more of a marketing thing though. "Ohhh billet, that sounds fancy." Like companies saying it's a "forged aluminum piece." You get the idea.

I do know that cast is much weaker than a forge because a cast is just molten metal poured into a mold and cooled, like the name suggests.

Edited by whitewolf001

After being enlightened I have changed my mind again and decided to get one of the billet lowers. Thanks for all the help everyone and a shout out to TDR for helping me see the light. :pleased:

Good choice, you won't regret it.