New Ruger SR-762

JohnC

http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-sr-762-autoloading-308-win762-nato-rifle-1612in-20-round-black-71079

Looks like kygunco has them now, and set their price point at $1600. Seems like a deal to me, though, I think I would prefer a Sig 716.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good to see some shops will keep the price in check! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I don't know if you do Facebook, but that's how Whittakers announces their good deals. If you're quick you can get some good stuff.

KY gun did a review and torture test.

I don’t throw my rifles or handguns in the mud, freeze them in buckets of water, or drag them on a rope behind my car; but I know some here claim they do.

Enjoy.....
biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjsTJvlGV9k

Edited by DaveTN
Doesn't look like it functioned too well after getting muddied up.

I don't do that to my guns either. And I don't know if other gun brands do better or 100% in those conditions, but if I was a navy seal or special ops, I'd be a bit concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2
[quote name="Lumber_Jack" post="1054102" timestamp="1382792665"] I don't know if you do Facebook, but that's how Whittakers announces their good deals. If you're quick you can get some good stuff.[/quote] Sounds like a plan, ill peek at em and see If I can jump on the bandwagon, thanks!!!! Sent from my iPhone using [url="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1"]Tapatalk[/url] 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

I ordered one from Whittakers yesterday afternoon and was told I got the last one. But before speaking with the guy that took my order another guy told me they didn't have any.. Price vs features? Im not sure I could build a piston gun as nice for what the total cost will be after shipping, title and license.. No Docking fees.. Im a fan of piston weapons and the balance of this rifle is very nice, IMO. What looks like a Samson free float hand guard and flip up sights, Hogue grip, 3-20 Rd Gen 3 Pmags (21.00 a piece shipped, I ordered a few more) and a nice soft case with Mag pockets, a person will spend more money building a piston gun even if he or she could find all the parts before the next election when President Hillary Clinton tries her hand at banning our sporting rifles. The bad side would by trigger pull and the need for a nicer stock (more want than need).. Although crisp the pull is heavy for my taste and will change out the stock.. A lot of back and forth, not only here but on other forums about the SR762 being on the pricier side of AR10 variations. My opinion on this is AR10 come in 3 price ranges.. The $1000.00 range (Sportical), $1500.00 range (LAR-8, SR762, Sigs) and the $2000+ range (POF, Wilson, matching billet receivers). 

I ordered one from Whittakers yesterday afternoon and was told I got the last one. But before speaking with the guy that took my order another guy told me they didn't have any.. Price vs features? Im not sure I could build a piston gun as nice for what the total cost will be after shipping, title and license.. No Docking fees.. Im a fan of piston weapons and the balance of this rifle is very nice, IMO. What looks like a Samson free float hand guard and flip up sights, Hogue grip, 3-20 Rd Gen 3 Pmags (21.00 a piece shipped, I ordered a few more) and a nice soft case with Mag pockets, a person will spend more money building a piston gun even if he or she could find all the parts before the next election when President Hillary Clinton tries her hand at banning our sporting rifles. The bad side would by trigger pull and the need for a nicer stock (more want than need).. Although crisp the pull is heavy for my taste and will change out the stock.. A lot of back and forth, not only here but on other forums about the SR762 being on the pricier side of AR10 variations. My opinion on this is AR10 come in 3 price ranges.. The $1000.00 range (Sportical), $1500.00 range (LAR-8, SR762, Sigs) and the $2000+ range (POF, Wilson, matching billet receivers). 

Congrats!

Just finding the Gen 3 .308 pmags is a pretty good find much less a cool new piston rig! Looking forward to any future range updates. I'm thinking it is a 16" barrel and maybe 1 in 10 twist? If so, it seems those do especially well on a diet of 168 grain. Ruger may have hit a sweet spot with the SRS-762!

There is a fairly thorough review of the Ruger piston .308 here ...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-sr-762-piston-driven-7-62nato-battle-rifle-new-gun-review/

A key abstract from the article -
"We try to be realistic with accuracy testing here, so I mounted a
Meopta ZD 1-4×22 on the top rail, in between Ruger’s open sights. The Meopta is one of the best “CQB,” or close quarters battle scopes on the market, clear as a bell even in low light, with a 1 MOA illuminated dot. At 4 power, the dot covers the center dot of these green targets at 100 yards but it is probably the type of scope that most people would put on this gun. The 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. cartridge is effective to 1000 yards, but most people would think of this rifle as a CQB powerhouse that can punch through just about anything, and take a long shot if needed. The holdoff markets on the Meopta are points, not dots, so you can use it on 1x for open eyes, right up close and personal CQB, as well as a 600 yard holdoff shot. The average police sniper shot in the US is only 80 yards, so with this type of scope, the rifle is set up for most every urban situation you will encounter. The 3-Gun shooters also use this type of scope, though they would not use a 7.62/.308 rifle for competition.

After zeroing the SR-762 at 50 yards I decided to shoot a 5 shot test group. To my surprise, it measured under an inch across, center to center. Hmmpfh. Let’s try 100 yards. Several 5 round groups later, my average with 150 grain Hornady TAP ammo was about 1 ½ inches, which would translate to 1.5MOA. Then I tried Hornady American Whitetail in the same 150 grain weight. It was even better. Looking around the web, I see that my friend Jeff Quinn at Gunblast put a 20x scope on his Ruger SR-762 and got MOA accuracy out of the gun, even with what he also measured as an unusually heavy trigger. The trigger is heavy, but crisp, and there is no pull-through drag at all. As Jeff noted, the lower on this gun is a standard AR configuration, and it can therefore take drop in triggers to improve performance. Do you need sub-MOA accuracy? It never hurts I guess. But it is amazing that this rifle is already at 1.5 MOA with a 4x scope on the existing trigger, and more like 1 MOA at higher magnification."

Got home put the Nikon on it did gave the gun a quick safety check over. Didn't have my range finder but do know in fact it was just over 100 yards. Sitting on a small stool , gun propped across my 4wheeler seat with wheeler idling at time of these five shoots. . Posted Image
Posted Image
The rifle is well built and has a nice fit and finish. It came with 3 20 round Gen 3 mags which is nice and was able to order 7 more with relative ease at not bad pricing. I have a lower parts kit with Magpul ASC-L stock that I'm using for a .22lr build but I think the stock may find its way onto the SR. The trigger has a heavy pull but is crisp and has no free pull. I removed the Samson flip up battle sights from the SR and put them on my .556 ( nice sights) that at 100 yards will give a man lead poisoning. Shooting price per round can add up quickly compared
to the 5.56 but the extra power will leave you smiling every time. What's a good price on brass cases 308 FMJ's? I ordered some PMC Bronze @ .64¢ a round shipped. Not sure if that was good or
Bad.

"I ordered some PMC Bronze @ .64¢ a round shipped. Not sure if that was good or not."

That is a good price from what I have seen lately.

Thanks for the update. Hope to see further updates using the PMC. PMC seems to perform well in the .308 reports I've run across. Another promising yet reasonably priced round would be the PriviPartisan that comes in both 145 gr. and 168 gr. I have a hunch that your Ruger with it's 1 in 10 twist will shine with 168 gr. Edited by Djay3
PSA is where I ordered the PMC. I wasn't sure about the reputation of the Serbian people or the quality of there NATO ammo when I placed the order. I'v had good luck with PMC in the past.
Sorry not meaning to hijack this thread. But is the Serbian ammo worth buying? What was the cost of 7.62x51 per round last year? Before retard pricing started.

All I run is PPU through my Scar and FNAR for plinking ammo it's good ammo ... Never had a issue

Edit: 308 last year pre panic was around .50-.55 from what I recall

Thanks for the reply. I will pick up some PPU and give it a try.

Thanks for the reply. I will pick up some PPU and give it a try.

It must be good ammo according to the description on Palmetto's site, " ... Hunting with PPU ammunition becomes magic, an enchantment, an adventure for memory, tranquility and success for prestige" ... ha, ha who wrote that?