.22 ammo availability

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
Had to go to the hospital with a relative today. Dropped them off and went to the usual places. Academy in hixson had 325 Federal auto match but only had one left, Academy in Hamilton Place has plenty and no one there. It's locked in the gun cages behind the gun counter and they have plenty. Two box limit. Sportsmans warehouse has 525 Remington golden bullet. One box limit. CCU 50 round boxes. SW also has plenty of CCI WMR.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

My wife grabbed three boxes of Remington subsonic at the WW in Soddy this morning @ 9:23 am. I'll bet it's golden bullet trash w/a black bullet. Price was $3.27 a box + tax.

My wife grabbed three boxes of Remington subsonic at the WW in Soddy this morning @ 9:23 am. I'll bet it's golden bullet trash w/a black bullet. Price was $3.27 a box + tax.

Just in case you weren't aware, right before the current nonsense began Remington was claiming to have improved their Golden Bullet ammo.  A couple of their 225 round boxes were the last .22LR ammo I bought - and the last LR ammo I found in stock at Walmart - several months (almost a year) ago.  I tried some of it out in a couple of my handguns and rifles and found that it did, indeed, seem more accurate.  I also didn't have any failures to ignite in the (admittedly small) sample that I fired, which to that point was a bit unusual for Golden Bullet ammo.

Edited by JAB
Guest TankerHC

Just in case you weren't aware, right before the current nonsense began Remington was claiming to have improved their Golden Bullet ammo.  A couple of their 225 round boxes were the last .22LR ammo I bought - and the last LR ammo I found in stock at Walmart - several months (almost a year) ago.  I tried some of it out in a couple of my handguns and rifles and found that it did, indeed, seem more accurate.  I also didn't have any failures to ignite in the (admittedly small) sample that I fired, which to that point was a bit unusual for Golden Bullet ammo.

Funny you guys should mention this. I picked up a box of Golden Bullets. As I was leaving someone who was in line in front of me stopped in his pickup and asked if I had seen them. Told him no, why and we got into a conversation. He said he had bought a box (When he bought he was asked if he wanted a box of Golden Bullets and said no, just the two 50 round boxes of CCI). Told me that the last box he bought had zero consistency, bullets were loose, the ammo was filthy and you handle it and it feels like you have grit on your hands and the bullets were loose. So I took some out of the box. And he was right. We took some out of the box in my truck, filthy, and one other thing we noticed. There is always some mould grooves in the bullets but this stuff looks like it was manufactured by a guy with a putty knife. Deep grooves all over the bullets. And this is a SWAG because I haven't gone over every round, but I would say probably 1 in 20 you can easily pop the bullet right out with your hand.

Golden Bullets are cheap ammo anyway, this stuff never did compare with the Wolf Match I shoot, but this is ridiculous. I suggested to the guy that maybe Remington got a new vendor to manufacture their cheap stuff or some of it. Dont know, thats pure speculation, but I dont see how low cost ammo could drop to such low quality (Lower than it already was) without there being a change somewhere.

Then there was a guy at Academy who wanted to look at the Federal but they said they couldn't open the sealed box. Told him I would swap him a box of 550 Remington for a  325 box of Federal if he wanted to look at it and didnt want to buy it. He said no because the Remington was so bad. We briefly discussed it in the aisle and he said the same thing the other guy did. (I figured he was just looking for ammo to shoot), but the stuff is so bad that even with .22 ammo still semi hard to get, people are just turning it down. I watched two people say no to more .22 because it is that bad.

Dont know if either guy was a TNGO member, but if they are, either one can verify it. The guy in the red truck at Sportsmans Warehouse and the guy looking for brass or copper at Academy at Hamilton Place.

The Remington GB has really turned to total sheet.

Edited by TankerHC

Funny you guys should mention this. I picked up a box of Golden Bullets. As I was leaving someone who was in line in front of me stopped in his pickup and asked if I had seen them. Told him no, why and we got into a conversation. He said he had bought a box (When he bought he was asked if he wanted a box of Golden Bullets and said no, just the two 50 round boxes of CCI). Told me that the last box he bought had zero consistency, bullets were loose, the ammo was filthy and you handle it and it feels like you have grit on your hands and the bullets were loose. So I took some out of the box. And he was right. We took some out of the box in my truck, filthy, and one other thing we noticed. There is always some mould grooves in the bullets but this stuff looks like it was manufactured by a guy with a putty knife. Deep grooves all over the bullets. And this is a SWAG because I haven't gone over every round, but I would say probably 1 in 20 you can easily pop the bullet right out with your hand.

Golden Bullets are cheap ammo anyway, this stuff never did compare with the Wolf Match I shoot, but this is ridiculous. I suggested to the guy that maybe Remington got a new vendor to manufacture their cheap stuff or some of it. Dont know, thats pure speculation, but I dont see how low cost ammo could drop to such low quality (Lower than it already was) without there being a change somewhere.

Then there was a guy at Academy who wanted to look at the Federal but they said they couldn't open the sealed box. Told him I would swap him a box of 550 Remington for a  325 box of Federal if he wanted to look at it and didnt want to buy it. He said no because the Remington was so bad. We briefly discussed it in the aisle and he said the same thing the other guy did. (I figured he was just looking for ammo to shoot), but the stuff is so bad that even with .22 ammo still semi hard to get, people are just turning it down. I watched two people say no to more .22 because it is that bad.

Dont know if either guy was a TNGO member, but if they are, either one can verify it. The guy in the red truck at Sportsmans Warehouse and the guy looking for brass or copper at Academy at Hamilton Place.

The Remington GB has really turned to total sheet.

That is weird.  Like I said, though, I haven't bought any since the current craziness went into full swing.  It sounds like maybe they are trying to churn the stuff out so fast that quality control has gone right out the window.  That is too bad as I was all set to stop hating on Golden Bullets since the stuff in the 225 round boxes I bought right at the beginning of the 'shortage' seemed much improved over the older stuff.  Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by JAB
Lots of 22lr available at cabellas.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remingtonreg-22-LR-Rimfire-Ammunition/734676.uts?avad=48247_c547289f&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=705571&avad=48247_d547355f&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went to Farnsworth Firearms in Vonore today.  He had about six or seven 500-round bricks of Remy Thunderbolt for $45 each, plus a lot of 50-round packages of other .22 LR.  I've got plenty saved up, but I'm sure it would be like a cold drink of water to some touched by the drought.

• Like 1

I bought a bucket of 1400 golden bullets from gander mountain about a month or so ago. Like the posts above they were absolutely the worst as far as being dirty for sure. But I will say this, they are about the only .22 other than cci mini mags that will reliably shoot out of my wife's mosquito, they also ran through my 10/22 without one problem. The guns didn't really seem any dirtier than usual. 

I bought a bucket of 1400 golden bullets from gander mountain about a month or so ago. Like the posts above they were absolutely the worst as far as being dirty for sure. But I will say this, they are about the only .22 other than cci mini mags that will reliably shoot out of my wife's mosquito, they also ran through my 10/22 without one problem. The guns didn't really seem any dirtier than usual. 

How much was the 1400 round bucket? Did they have a lot of them in stock? I usually run mini mags in the daughter's mosquito & I have a 10/22. Good to know they work well in those guns. I might have to make a trip to the mountain.