Group petitioning Eric Holder for an investigation into possibly LEO wrong doing but bring race into petition.

Okay, I was just on Facebook and say a close friend of mine who is the admin for Nashville Area Motorcycle Riders "NAMR" had posted a link to go sign a petition. Now My friend and I don't see eye to eye on political subjects but we have seen one another through some tough spots so I looked past the fact that the post listed Eric Holder as one of the folks being solicited for help and clicked the link. The story is told and i'll be honest, it sounds mighty fishy but it only shares the side of the story given by grieving family and friends so who knows. Thats not why I'm making this post though it will likely move to that. The reason I am posting this is at the end of the letter it states " Again, one of our young, Black men being robbed of their life. Justice for Derek!" 

Now this one sentence really discredits their side of the story to me. this may very well be a case of a cop getting carried away and hitting the back of the guys bike and then with or without the help of other LEO's, trying to cover it up. Even if it turns out to be that the LEO is at fault, what difference does it make that they guy was "a young black man"? And then they go on to borrow the phrase coined by the family of the Florida thug and say "Justice for Derek!" I was giving this an honest going through and was satisfied that there are a lot of "coincidental" things and that the family was really owed some honest answers but the fact that they through the race card up makes me want to care less. I know that isn't right but I am sick of race being brought up in everything when very seldom is it even relative.

Here's the link for you to have a look for yourself.

http://www.change.org/petitions/robert-e-cooper-jr-tn-attorney-general-eric-holder-us-attorney-general-mark-wildasin-middle-tennessee-civil-chief-victor-s-johnson-tn-20th-judicial-district-attorney-i-am-writing-you-today-to-call-for-justice-for-my-son-derek-brown

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That story leaves more questions than answers. He says the video cuts off after the crash; so there is video of the pursuit, there will also be audio of the radio traffic.

He lost control and crashed a motorcycle; I’m sure there is “evidence of a collision”.

Mistaken identity may be why the trooper lit him up; but that shouldn’t have made his son run.

It’s not unusual in fatal accidents for the body to stay at the scene while traffic investigators do their work. Who pronounced him dead? I would guess it was the responding paramedics. They would not “fully examine the body” the coroner would do that.

It’s too bad the father lost his son. I’m sure if he would sit down with a THP Commander they would explain to him what happened. The hows or whys here would be pure speculation with absolutely no evidence.

That story leaves more questions than answers. He says the video cuts off after the crash; so there is video of the pursuit, there will also be audio of the radio traffic.

He lost control and crashed a motorcycle; I’m sure there is “evidence of a collision”.

Mistaken identity may be why the trooper lit him up; but that shouldn’t have made his son run.

It’s not unusual in fatal accidents for the body to stay at the scene while traffic investigators do their work. Who pronounced him dead? I would guess it was the responding paramedics. They would not “fully examine the body” the coroner would do that.

It’s too bad the father lost his son. I’m sure if he would sit down with a THP Commander they would explain to him what happened. The hows or whys here would be pure speculation with absolutely no evidence.

I think the family suspects the the bike may have been rear ended by the patrol car and that the dash cam conveniently cut out. The way I understood it is that the footage from just before the crash on is missing and only have audio after that. I also understood them to be thinking that the kid was still alive and all medical personnel was turned away.
Like you said, it's all speculation and I don't have an opinion about it other than I think it's fishy that footage quit at a very convenient time.
I was more disturbed by their need to make this a race issue when it's doubtful that it had anything to do with it.

I also understood them to be thinking that the kid was still alive and all medical personnel was turned away.

Medical personnel would have had to leave the scene without checking for any sign of life. That’s pretty easy to check.

Has nothing to do with race, anyone bringing that into the equation will make themselves look stupid.  How do I know?

It's dark / middle of the night

He's got a helmet on (cause it's the law)

It's chilly out, he'll be wearing long sleeves or a riding jacket & obviously pants 

------

Hate it that someone lost their life, but caution should be used when making accusations like that

* also to add in, if you are going to petition the USAG for anything, you probably don't want the profile picture on the petition site to be one of you wielding the middle finger on both of your hands.

aucICPCUSrZNTnb-172x172-cropped.jpg

Edited by Sam1

Medical personnel would have had to leave the scene without checking for any sign of life. That’s pretty easy to check.

Very true.. Way to much unknown in their side of the story. Judging the way they chose to write everything up I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they just assumed that the LEO's just turned them away while the guy was still alive which was kinda my point in the post I guess.

Has nothing to do with race, anyone bringing that into the equation will make themselves look stupid.  How do I know?

It's dark / middle of the night

He's got a helmet on (cause it's the law)

It's chilly out, he'll be wearing long sleeves or a riding jacket & obviously pants 

------

Hate it that someone lost their life, but caution should be used when making accusations like that

* also to add in, if you are going to petition the USAG for anything, you probably don't want the profile picture on the petition site to be one of you wielding the middle finger on both of your hands.

aucICPCUSrZNTnb-172x172-cropped.jpg

I think you are thinking way to rationally there Sam 1! And I agree, them bringing Race into this does discredit them (or make them stupid). I think they are also assuming that the LEO ran the tags and saw that it was a black guy with a record and based on that decided to try to pull him over and chase him. I'm guessing the LEO saw the guy commit a traffic infraction and never had the chance to run the plate meaning he had no idea if the guy was white, black or hot pink, that is unless he was able to read the small motorcycle plate while in pursuit.