Proper way to dispose of deer carcass?

• Admin Team

Native Americans and our early Pioneers used every inch and ounce of a deer. Every part had a purpose and need. Absolutely nothing went to waste.

DaveS

I enjoyed reading earlier this year about hog killings down in Louisiana.  Hog killing was a community event, black and white, wealthy and poor alike - everyone benefitted.  The temperature meant you had to work fast, and every last piece of the hog was used for something.

I enjoyed reading earlier this year about hog killings down in Louisiana.  Hog killing was a community event, black and white, wealthy and poor alike - everyone benefitted.  The temperature meant you had to work fast, and every last piece of the hog was used for something.

Absolutely! I grew up in Alabama doing the same thing. Days gone by my friend. We're a different society today. Some old country folks still do things this way, but for the most part, we don't even know our neighbors!

Dave

I ask my  friend to bring over the bones, heart, liver, kidney after he processed his deer.  My dog loves the treats, and I feel good feeding her wholesome foodstuff.  At ~$0.70/lb for questionable 'healthy' dog food at Costco, you can imagine how I view my friend's gift.

The hide & head, I buried for my tree/garden.

When I process my own deer, I save the heart & liver.  I have cooked the heart (just like I cook the backstrap), and it tastes exactly like the backstrap/tenderloin; only I know the difference.  I haven't cook the liver yet, but understand it to be good eating.  

Anybody for a good liver recipe?

I ask my  friend to bring over the bones, heart, liver, kidney after he processed his deer.  My dog loves the treats, and I feel good feeding her wholesome foodstuff.  At ~$0.70/lb for questionable 'healthy' dog food at Costco, you can imagine how I view my friend's gift.

The hide & head, I buried for my tree/garden.

When I process my own deer, I save the heart & liver.  I have cooked the heart (just like I cook the backstrap), and it tastes exactly like the backstrap/tenderloin; only I know the difference.  I haven't cook the liver yet, but understand it to be good eating.  

Anybody for a good liver recipe?

I cook my deer liver just like any other liver. Flour it up, fry slowly in a little oil. When browned slightly, add a touch of water and flour to thicken into country gravy. Cover and simmer until tender.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Take it back to where you hunt and throw it out.  The coyotes will have it eaten and cleaned up by morning.   The bones won't hurt anything.   Or just throw it in a heavy garbage bag and take it to the dump.  It isn't any worse than other rotting meat in the dump.  Just double bag it.

+1...Coyotes are the best garbage disposal there is. Overnight, they will pick the bones clean. I know as I've seen it work inside the city limits on deer and other things too.

Guest TNSovereignty

Guys, you're throwing away some good chow to the coyotes.  I cannot overemphasize my encouragement to change your ways & use that carcass.  The only thing to leave for the coyotes would be legs, head & entrails.  Even if you feel rich enough to buy processed, industrialized, factory-made broth, you'll be far better off health-wise to make some bone broth from your venison carcass.  Honest to goodness ... about 5 min w/ a saw to cut into pieces, 48 hrs simmering in a large pot (an 18 qt roaster oven will hold just about the whole deer), pour through a colander.  The meat in the colander goes in tonight's soup (best ever!), the broth gets canned or frozen in bags.  You're looking at about an hour's extra work, tops.  Takes you half that to drag it out for the coyotes!

Guys, you're throwing away some good chow to the coyotes.  I cannot overemphasize my encouragement to change your ways & use that carcass.  The only thing to leave for the coyotes would be legs, head & entrails.  Even if you feel rich enough to buy processed, industrialized, factory-made broth, you'll be far better off health-wise to make some bone broth from your venison carcass.  Honest to goodness ... about 5 min w/ a saw to cut into pieces, 48 hrs simmering in a large pot (an 18 qt roaster oven will hold just about the whole deer), pour through a colander.  The meat in the colander goes in tonight's soup (best ever!), the broth gets canned or frozen in bags.  You're looking at about an hour's extra work, tops.  Takes you half that to drag it out for the coyotes!

I'm going to try it on my next deer. I'm always buying beef broth to cook with. Will be deer from here on out!

DaveS

Guest TNSovereignty

I'm going to try it on my next deer. I'm always buying beef broth to cook with. Will be deer from here on out!

DaveS

Dave - you sound like the kind of guy I can learn a lot from ... so glad to know I could share this w/ you.  

Here's to both of us getting the 'next deer' ASAP!  I'll slaughter my first steer next winter ... that will be a huge carcass to deal with.  

Dave - you sound like the kind of guy I can learn a lot from ... so glad to know I could share this w/ you.  

Here's to both of us getting the 'next deer' ASAP!  I'll slaughter my first steer next winter ... that will be a huge carcass to deal with.  

Thank You! I want to learn more about canning with a pressure cooker. I've never fooled with one, but it can't be that difficult. Thanks for sharing that info!

Dave

Guest TNSovereignty

Thank You! I want to learn more about canning with a pressure cooker. I've never fooled with one, but it can't be that difficult. Thanks for sharing that info!

Dave

If you're just going to can up some broth you can find that info online.  But if you want to get into big-time food storage/canning, check out Jackie Clay's book on canning, available through Backwoods Home magazine.  She's an expert homesteader & has great info on game & garden canning.  PM me if you have questions ... and then I'll ask the real expert in my house - the wife!

I'm wanting to can garden vegetables instead of freezing them. I remember by granny having a pressure cooker that she cooked everything in. To this day I can still hear that little weight on the lid just rattling away! Memories...

DaveS

I'm wanting to can garden vegetables instead of freezing them. I remember by granny having a pressure cooker that she cooked everything in. To this day I can still hear that little weight on the lid just rattling away! Memories...

DaveS

Water bath canning is the easiest way to start.  Pressure canning is better, but there's more investment.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/canning.aspx#axzz2nN4V3i1J

Edited by peejman

Got started canning two years ago with tomatoes.  

I started with tomatoes.  2 years later, those jars are still in good shape.

Here is what I learned

1.  Clean jar & lid thoroughly.  Make sure you get all the soap out.  Once they are cleaned and you are not using the jar immediately, put a lid over it, then store it.  Next time before use, remove lid, rinse jar with 100% vinegar before use.  I don't boil the jar.

2.  Boil lids

3.  Whatever foodstuff you want to can, make sure it come to a boil for at least >10min, and keep it HOT (>180F, or near boiling) while you transfer the content to the jar.  Get the jar full to the brim.  Wipe brim with a clean/disinfected towel.

4.  Use a tong to remove the lid from the hot water pan.  Keep the lid/brim clean and free of contaminant during the process.  Put the lid over the HOT jar.  Screw the lid on tight using hand and a different towel.  Transfer the jar to a spot until it is cool to transfer else where.  Once cool, the lid should be dented inward toward the jar, showing a good seal.  If not, reboil the content and redo and replace the lid with a new one.

5.  I do not reboil the lidded jar, because I transfer the content into the jar at/near boiling temperature.  Your choice.

Two years after the can stay vacuum pack and the stew tomatoes are still edible.

Tried deer broth a month ago.  Got about 1.5gal of broth.  Will try them out in a few days to see if my palate like it.

• Like 2

Got started canning two years ago with tomatoes.  

I started with tomatoes.  2 years later, those jars are still in good shape.

Here is what I learned

1.  Clean jar & lid thoroughly.  Make sure you get all the soap out.  Once they are cleaned and you are not using the jar immediately, put a lid over it, then store it.  Next time before use, remove lid, rinse jar with 100% vinegar before use.  I don't boil the jar.

2.  Boil lids

3.  Whatever foodstuff you want to can, make sure it come to a boil for at least >10min, and keep it HOT (>180F, or near boiling) while you transfer the content to the jar.  Get the jar full to the brim.  Wipe brim with a clean/disinfected towel.

4.  Use a tong to remove the lid from the hot water pan.  Keep the lid/brim clean and free of contaminant during the process.  Put the lid over the HOT jar.  Screw the lid on tight using hand and a different towel.  Transfer the jar to a spot until it is cool to transfer else where.  Once cool, the lid should be dented inward toward the jar, showing a good seal.  If not, reboil the content and redo and replace the lid with a new one.

5.  I do not reboil the lidded jar, because I transfer the content into the jar at/near boiling temperature.  Your choice.

Two years after the can stay vacuum pack and the stew tomatoes are still edible.

Tried deer broth a month ago.  Got about 1.5gal of broth.  Will try them out in a few days to see if my palate like it.

Good info..thank you for sharing!

Dave

The head goes to the chickens; the dog drags the front legs all over the farm; all the bones get cut up & thrown in the pot for 48 hrs of simmering, then can it up for broth.  All I have left at the end are white bones ... I run them through the shredder & put 'em in the garden.  Some of this may be farm related, but everyone should make the most of their deer by making the broth ... we can many quarts of it each season, and you'll never want to eat another soup that didn't start w/ your own venison broth.

TN; I just put up 2 1/2 gallons of venison broth, and I'm telling you it is 10 times more flavorful than beef broth from the grocery store. I will be making some more in a day or so, and it is well worth the effort to make!

Dave

Guest TNSovereignty

Right on Dave - that's awesome!  That means you're killing deer too ... even more awesome.  Glad you found the effort worthwhile.

Going to take my gun for a walk tomorrow; hopefully I'll be making more broth sometime after Christmas.  

Right on Dave - that's awesome!  That means you're killing deer too ... even more awesome.  Glad you found the effort worthwhile.

Going to take my gun for a walk tomorrow; hopefully I'll be making more broth sometime after Christmas.  

I don't have a pressure canner yet, so I put mine in quart jars and put the in the freezer. Going to use one this evening I think.

Dave