Black Powder Revolver

For the purposes of hunting in Tennessee, is a typical percussion revolver considered a breechloading firearm, or a muzzleloader?

In other words, if I shot a deer with a 58 Remington replica during muzzleloader season, would I be in violation of any law, rule, or regulation?

Edited by gregintenn
I've known many people that have carried them during muzzleloader season. Never heard of anyone getting cited. Technically I would call the TWRA.
On a side note everyone I have ever known to tote one has never been able to kill a deer with one, lol.

A muzzle loader is any firearm that can not be loaded from the breach.

So I would sat yes. but check with a game warden.

I looked up the definition of "breech", and found it is "the part of the gun behind the barrel". That muddies the water a bit.

I'm not a lawyer but I have argued with a few cops in my day.  I would say a BP revolver is not a breechloader since it's loaded on the opposite end of the primer cap.  In essence, the cylinder is a barrel.

• Like 1

RED333 my brother had a capnball pistol with a 12" barrel   & shooting a old Freon jug at 100y you tell it was slower than mine with a 8" ,any idea if the longer barrel slows it down or speeds it up? ,30g & round balls were our max loads & I know they make some with higher ratings

Black powder cap and ball revolving rifle, good shooter.

Load the cylinder just like a C&B pistol

BuntLine44BP_zps05d23eba.gif

What make/model s that ?  It looks fun, and probably explains a few shooters I have heard  while on the tree stand in BP season.

I have read that a barrel will slow down a boolit about 25 fps and a round about rule.

I dont shoot a lot of BP, I have shot the C&B rifle 6 times, it shot well, just powder is

the cost that keeps me from shooting more.

I did just get a new mold for my C&B 44s and will try them out again.

Guest TankerHC

Interesting that this came up because I heard the exact same question asked of a counter guy by someone else at Academy a few weeks ago. Later I asked some people here I know who have been hunting here all their lives including Primitive Weapons and they didnt know, always use a rifle, and never even considered the question.

But, looking, I did find two things that didnt add up. 

on Muzzle-Loaders.com on TN regulations.

Legal Description:

“Muzzleloading firearms (rifles or handguns) must be larger than a .36 caliber.”

General Muzzleloader Seasons
(Deer) Nov. 3rd-16th
(Elk) Oct 15th -19th 

This information is subject to change, for more information visit: http://www.tn.gov/twra/

It does say that information is subject to change, so when you go to seasons on twra, it specifically spells out "Deer (Primitive Weapons: Long Bow, Recurve Bow, & side hammered Muzzleloaders with iron sights only)

Dont take this to mean (Or claim to mean) I know what I am talking about, I dont, just something I was looking at.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/nwrtennessee.html

One link leads me to the Wildlife Refuge seasons the other is the TWRA page. As far as Muzzle loading calibers go, you can use .36 and greater for all game except turkey and waterfowl. Less than .36  for all small game except Turkey and Waterfowl.

Tennessee does NOT have a primitive weapons season (traditional sidelock rifles and pistols, long bows and recurve bows all with primitive sights). Tennessee does have a "muzzleloader" season which allows us to use all sorts of cool stuff to hunt with! Modern Muzzleloaders, scopes, crossbows, recurves and those new fangeled jobs with two miles of cable strung between a bunch of pulleys that shoot arrows at mach 2.

We have never had an Elk season, at least as we know it. Every year TWRA draws a handful of hunters to hunt elk. These hunters get pampered by TWRA and gets all kinds of cool gifts from hundreds of sponsors and their own personal hunting guide, I even read where at one time you were given the rifle to keep to hunt the elk with. Not my kind of hunting but to each his own I suppose.

Time for my second cup of coffee.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
Guest TankerHC

One link leads me to the Wildlife Refuge seasons the other is the TWRA page. As far as Muzzle loading calibers go, you can use .36 and greater for all game except turkey and waterfowl. Less than .36  for all small game except Turkey and Waterfowl.

Tennessee does NOT have a primitive weapons season (traditional sidelock rifles and pistols, long bows and recurve bows all with primitive sights). Tennessee does have a "muzzleloader" season which allows us to use all sorts of cool stuff to hunt with! Modern Muzzleloaders, scopes, crossbows, recurves and those new fangeled jobs with two miles of cable strung between a bunch of pulleys that shoot arrows at mach 2.

We have never had an Elk season, at least as we know it. Every year TWRA draws a handful of hunters to hunt elk. These hunters get pampered by TWRA and gets all kinds of cool gifts from hundreds of sponsors and their own personal hunting guide, I even read where at one time you were given the to keep to hunt the elk with. Not my kind of hunting but to each his own I suppose.

Time for my second cup of coffee.

DaveS

Then my question would be is why is there a Deer (Primitive weapon) season listed on the Tennessee TWRA website? Seriously wondering. I nnotice that the Primitive Season is listed in October for 3 days?  Which actually was what I had thought, unlike a few other states I have been in, I had thought TN had a Black Powder season not a Primitive Season.

Edited by TankerHC

I'm looking at the current regulations and I'm looking for the word "primitive". Page 8 under "Resident Licenses" shows "Annual Big Game Muzzleloader". Page 12 under permanent opening dates "Deer/Muzzleloader Third Saturday before Thanksgiving". Page 24 shows "Muzzleloader/Archery Nov.9-22, 2013 and "Gun/Muzzleloader/Archery" Nov. 23 2013 through Jan 5, 2014.

I'm not seeing "Deer Primitive Weapon" season. I'm probably missing it. Can you give me a page number or send me a link to that page? That's all news to me.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

I found what you are talking about. It is a special Quota Hunt on a few Federal Wildlife Refuges. Oct 12-13 Primitive Weapons Only (as you described). That's Federal and not TWRA. Those regulations only pertain to a handful of Federal Refuges and not under the control of TWRA, the State or State seasons. Pretty darn confusing huh? Welcome to Tennessee!

DaveS

DaveS has it right. There is a primative hunt on TN Natl Wildlife Refuge (and others too i think but I know of the TNWR hunt.) it's early in Oct. and pretty cool. Lots of big deer on TNWR.

It's totally separate from the general hunt referred to as Muzzloader season.

I'd find it hard to believe one couldn't look at every state's regs and not refer to all as confusing. I was looking at NM regs like 2 nights ago and thought "why they gotta make this chit so dang confusing." Every time I've looked at another state I thought it was more difficult to decipher than TN but it's only cause I'm used to our type of confusion i reckon, lol.

DaveS has it right. There is a primative hunt on TN Natl Wildlife Refuge (and others too i think but I know of the TNWR hunt.) it's early in Oct. and pretty cool. Lots of big deer on TNWR.

It's totally separate from the general hunt referred to as Muzzloader season.

I'd find it hard to believe one couldn't look at every state's regs and not refer to all as confusing. I was looking at NM regs like 2 nights ago and thought "why they gotta make this chit so dang confusing." Every time I've looked at another state I thought it was more difficult to decipher than TN but it's only cause I'm used to our type of confusion i reckon, lol.

Spot on!

DaveS