Wife's business trip to Illinois.

Better leave it at home depending on where in IL she has to go. They are getting better but I would test the waters yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

^^This. When I travel to MO, I only drive for 20 seconds through IL and I stop on KY side, unload, separate ammo from gun/mags, drive through IL and stop on the MO side and reload. Don't test them. My two cents

• Like 4

people go to Chicago every day and don't have trouble.  I lived up that way for eight years and never had trouble.   99% of violent crimes in Chicago are gang related.  I would not lose sleep over going there.

A sure way of inviting trouble is to illegally have a gun,  especially if you are a law abiding person.  YMMV

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 5

people go to Chicago every day and don't have trouble.  I lived up that way for eight years and never had trouble.   99% of violent crimes in Chicago are gang related.  I would not lose sleep over going there.

A sure way of inviting trouble is to illegally have a gun,  especially if you are a law abiding person.  YMMV

This^^^

Sort of like visiting Memphis;)

I would steer clear of Illinois with a loaded gun no matter what. My father and I drove to Wisconsin to pick up a bike we bought on eBay back in early spring. I had driven to East TN the night before and didn't get much sleep so Dad took the first driving shift while I took a nap. I figured we'd have to have gas before we got to Illinois and that I would wake up when we stopped and unload the gun before we got into IL. Well I should have mentioned my plan to my Dad because I "may" have slept though the gas stop and a good portion of IL. When I started waking up we were passing an exit sign that said Champaign... I almost pooped myself! I reached into my tote bag and proceeded to most likely break every unloading speed record. I don't get to worked up about much so I tell you this show how serious I am about not having a loaded pistol in IL.. I will never make that mistake again. 

• Like 1
http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

according to the website:

"Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on their person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement. Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately. If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act." Edited by vinstang67
  • Like 1

I couldn't remember where I saw it, but as posted above, it is my understanding if you have a carry permit from your state of residence you can carry within your vehicle in IL. You can also be armed in the immediate area around your vehicle for the purpose of exiting and locking the firearm in the trunk if that is where you are going to store it.

While not anywhere near what it needs to be, it is an improvement at least.

according to the website:

"Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on their person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement. Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately. If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection ( B) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act."

I couldn't remember where I saw it, but as posted above, it is my understanding if you have a carry permit from your state of residence you can carry within your vehicle in IL. You can also be armed in the immediate area around your vehicle for the purpose of exiting and locking the firearm in the trunk if that is where you are going to store it.

While not anywhere near what it needs to be, it is an improvement at least.

Good to know! Is this a recent law or have I just missed it in the past?

Very recent.  Came from state losing court case and now having to issue carry permits.

Well good for them! I remembered hearing that they had lost in court but don't think I ever heard what they had done about it. very good to know though.

Good to know! Is this a recent law or have I just missed it in the past?

It’s recent and I wouldn’t count on it in the City of Chicago. Due to the 7th Federal Districts ruling and the Illinois Supreme Court ruling Illinois gun laws are in turmoil right now with Chicago fighting desperately to keep a gun ban in any way possible.

You can check it out here...

How will Illinois State Police (ISP) officers and local law enforcement respond to citizens who are carrying weapons?

The ISP will continue to enforce the law in effect. Persons who carry firearms without a Concealed Carry License issued by the ISP are subject to arrest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on their person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

It’s recent and I wouldn’t count on it in the City of Chicago. Due to the 7th Federal Districts ruling and the Illinois Supreme Court ruling Illinois gun laws are in turmoil right now with Chicago fighting desperately to keep a gun ban in any way possible.

You can check it out here...

Yea I pretty much refuse to step foot in Chicago so that won't be an issue for me but I do hope that they get all the unconstitutional BS ironed out of the system up there. I do however travel on the interstates when cutting through IL so it will be nice to not have to stop at a state line to unload and separate everything. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Riciticky

If she goes to East St. Louis she will need it. If there is not a murder there. in a day, it will make the headlines. Used to live close to there while partaking in my Air Force career.