powder choice

Guest kj4gxu

So after several months of reloading I'm just about through the first pound of powder I bought.  Because it was available, I found recipes for 9mm luger and 40 S&W and the price was low ($14.00 or so for a pound) I bought Titegroup at the time.

I've been happy with it, it's been cleaner than some of the factory ammo I bought, loads have been accurate 100%, nice feel to the shots and haven't had a single failure to fire.

Being that I've had such a good result with it my plan right now is just to re-stock on Titegroup for now.

Currently I reload 9mm luger and 40 S&W, in the future I may add a 380 and/or a rifle of as yet undetermined caliber.

I'm in the process of switching from loading Berry's Plated bullets for both calibers to using cast bullets.  I've gone through about 1/2 box of Magnus no 402 for the 9mm (125 Gr round nose) and I just got a box of Magnus no 103 in (200 gr FP) for the 40 but haven't loaded any yet.

Based on the above does anyone feel the overwhelming desire to tell me why your favorite powder is worth trying over the Titegroup?

Just looking for opinions so I can decide whether it's worth experimenting with another powder or not.

Thanks

Eric

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find titegroup, grab it. Maybe David has some.

Accurate #5 is great for 9 and .40. In the event of not finding what you want, it's always worth experimenting with different powders.

I use the Accurate, but any good book will give you good data on at least ten different powder and bullet combinations.

I've seen lots of recommendations for Accurate so I'm sure it's definitely got something to offer.

As far as the Little goes a long way, yeah I ran test loads of the Magnus 402 bullets with 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0 gr (Hodgdon's published safe loading range for 125gr LCN) and then loaded a large batch of at 3.6 (around 200 rounds)  

I did notice it smoked like crazy.  I know that part of that is the lube but I was wondering if bringing the powder charge up to the 3.8 or 4.0 might help reduce the smoking by increasing pressure and burning everything off more thoroughly.

I might just have to pick up a pound each of Accurate and Titegroup just to compare and contrast the powders.

I should have just kept my mouth shut and bought the Titegroup, now I'm going to cost myself extra money : )

I don't know much about the Titegroup and the smoke. I've just always stuck with the Accurate powders, mostly, and bought them in the

economy sized 8lb jugs. As far as the little goes a long way, that is great, but that also requires care in the loads. It's easier to double charge

a case. If I double charge with #5 it spills out, and I have a mess. Plus, it doesn't smoke up bad. Winchester 231 ought to be good, also. Ah,

there's too many to mention as far as powders go.

I've seen lots of recommendations for Accurate so I'm sure it's definitely got something to offer.

As far as the Little goes a long way, yeah I ran test loads of the Magnus 402 bullets with 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0 gr (Hodgdon's published safe loading range for 125gr LCN) and then loaded a large batch of at 3.6 (around 200 rounds)  

I did notice it smoked like crazy.  I know that part of that is the lube but I was wondering if bringing the powder charge up to the 3.8 or 4.0 might help reduce the smoking by increasing pressure and burning everything off more thoroughly.

I might just have to pick up a pound each of Accurate and Titegroup just to compare and contrast the powders.

I should have just kept my mouth shut and bought the Titegroup, now I'm going to cost myself extra money : )

Not that you want to have to buy another powder  :rofl:  but I would also suggest Red Dot with cast bullets. Another forum member and myself split 8#'s of it and we both really liked it. It smoked less than Titegroup and was just as accurate. I have enough Titegroup to last,, well a very long time so I will be using it but i'm not sure that I wouldn't buy Red Dot if I was out of Titegroup.

I don't know much about the Titegroup and the smoke. I've just always stuck with the Accurate powders, mostly, and bought them in the

economy sized 8lb jugs. As far as the little goes a long way, that is great, but that also requires care in the loads. It's easier to double charge

a case. If I double charge with #5 it spills out, and I have a mess. Plus, it doesn't smoke up bad. Winchester 231 ought to be good, also. Ah,

there's too many to mention as far as powders go.

Very true and I forget to mention that sometimes. I think you could probably charge a .45 case 3 or 4 times and I hope no one needs to be told what that would end up looking like.. 

A buddy of mine turned me on to Titegroup for 45 ACP... I like it... We use Titegroup and WW 231 a lot... I like it a lot for standard velocity pistol loads in all flavors... I dont think ya can go wrong with Titegroup, WW 231 (...or its Hogdon brother, cant think of its name...) or Unique...

We've shot it by the tens if not hundreds of pounds over the years in everything from 380 ACP to 45 Colt... They all work great...

leroy