AAR TAC 2 At Tactical Advantage, Knoxville

You know it's going to be a good class when you find yourself dropping to the deck, drawing and (dry) firing within the first 60 minutes.

I attended Eric Matson's TAC 2 course back in late November and I'm surprised it took me this long to write about it because I thought It was great training. But life can get a bit busy this time of year and I didn't find the time. I felt it was important to get the word out because when I searched online for a class report I found jack about this class.

We began the class in the indoor classroom with introductions and the safety brief. Next, Eric reviewed the draw stroke and some other basics. We then progressed to doing some cool stuff dry before heading out to the outdoor range. Once there, we did a little pre-assesment to see where we were skill-wise and to better gauge our progress at the end of the day. Most of the guys attending were either graduates of TAC 1 or regulars at the indoor range or both. All in all a good group of guys that made the day even more enjoyable. You know what I mean - you've trained with THAT GUY or - God forbid - THOSE GUYS! We had none of that, and Eric ran a good, safe, interesting class without having to be a Safety Nazi.

Some of the highlights were:

Timed draw and fire at realistic (5 to 10 yards) distances. Goal was 6 solid hits in 2 seconds.

Drawing and engaging a threat outside a car window. Hint: Don't be the first guy to shoot the car door. None of us did.

Defending from the ground after falling / being knocked down.

Defending from a realistic simulated bedroom attack scenario (attacker surprising you while in bed) complete with a requirement to sometimes roll the 160 # striking dummy off yourself before you could engage.

A 2-man "tactical dueling tree" drill using several pieces of simulated cover and starting from a seated position. Each shot had to be made after moving to a new position. 

And my favorite, the room clearing shoot / no shoot exercise. With the shooter standing behind a barricade and unable to see, a scenario was set up with mannequins and various pieces of cover. Balloons facilitated head shots (if called for) and the number, position, and items held by the mannequins changed for each shooter. This was GOOD STUFF!

Eric Matson knows his stuff (a founder of the Midwest Tactical Officers Association and long time SWAT cop) and teaches a very good class which also may be the best bang-for-your-training-buck around. This class was $100 for a solid day of quality, fun, training doing things that would get you banned for life and / or flogged at dawn at most any regular range.

Check out Tactical Advantage Corp if you want to take your shooting to the next level.

• Like 2

How many holes were in the car door? Sounds like a good class. Was this an outdoor range that he set up?

Zero holes - so no one wanted to be the first. Yes, after dry indoor practice, the rest of the day was spent on the outside range.

I have taken several of these classes with Eric, including this one.  Each one is a little different and always something new.  I have taken a lot of classes with other trainers, and they all have offered different perspectives, but none have literally given me more bang for the buck than Eric's.