Ruger GP100 Spring Kit

I ordered a Wilson sring kit for GP100 revolver. It came with 8# and 10# tigger return spring and 9#, 10# and 12# hammer spring. Original gun springs were 11# for trigger return and 14# for hammer spring. I polished hammer strut and installed 10# spring. I installed 8# trigger return spring. I placed a pencil down barrel after cocking hammer and spring action in SA was strong enough to launch pencil to hit 8' ceiling. Tomorrow I'll fire a mixture of factory and reloads to ensure I get proper primer ignition. If any light primer hits I"ll go to heavier hammer spring. Has anyone else replaced springs and what spring weight did you go with?

I shot about 60 rds of HP's thru GP100 in 125g and 158g bullets: Masters, Blazer and reloads. All rounds fire with no failures both SA and DA. Gun prefers Blazer 158g bullets, so I guess I'll tried to find 158g Hornady XTP to develop an accurate reload around 1200fps.
I changed out my springs a while back with a set from Wolff Springs I believe. I will have to check which weights I used. I also cleaned up the internals using a guide that used to be available on one of the ruger web sights. I think you have to pay for it now. It was called Iowegans IBOK.
  • Like 1

I used the Wolff springs kit, too.  I installed the 10 lbs. trigger return spring and the 12 lbs. hammer spring in the GP100.  Trigger feels great with the new springs in there, and I have not had a single FTF.  I've read on other forums, though, where guys installed the 9 lbs. or the 10 lbs. hammer spring and had light primer strikes.

I just purchased a stainless ruger gp 100 .357 4" and I have been considering doing the spring kit / polish internals.  I'm really happy with the way the trigger is out of the box though, so I'm not sure I actually will mess with it any time soon.  I am glad to know it makes a noticeable difference however if I ever do the mods.

One other thing you can do that will make a world of difference is shimming the trigger. I did it on my SP101 and GP100, really put the finishing touches on the trigger.  And I second  Iowegans IBOK. It has lots of great information. 

Edited by Curiousgb

Some years ago I got a pdf of Iowegans Ibok, nothing like it anywhere else I'm pretty sure.  However, the SP/GP101/Speed/Service Six is a pretty straightforward design with no real trickery in assembly or disassembly.  ONe thing I have found when working on Ruger DA revolvers that there can sometimes be small bits of "slag" from the casting process.  You can use dental picks and needle files and stones to address this if you find any.  Also there are friction points which can be addressed very lightly with some 1200 grit paper or even a bit of Flitz with a dremel. Do not touch anywhere there is an exterior seam, it is supposed to be a sharp and a tight fit. I favor red ATF as a revolver lube as it migrates well without having to glob it on.  Besides several youtube vids these might help:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/62312-thought-i-had-bum-gp100-did-trigger-job.html

This is a link contained in the above thread, but it is one to study closely if you want to go all the way into the Ruger.  GP-100: Five Minute Trigger Job! (UPDATED 01/17/10) 

Ibok:

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/ruger-gp100sp101book-of-knowledge/

Edited by graycrait

news on Ruger IBOK and Ruger Gun Guides from rugerforum.net posted Jan 13, 2013

notathome, First, welcome to the Ruger Forum. It looks like someone dug up an old post because I have recently received several PMs and there have been a couple posts in the past few days about IBOKs. Sorry, IBOKs and Ruger Gun Guides are no longer available. 

When this forum first started, we had a hard time recruiting new members so I wrote several 15~20 page booklets on specific Ruger guns called "Iowegan's Bookicon1.png of Knowledge (IBOK for short). At first I was emailing the IBOKs to people upon request providing they joined the forum. This got to be a very time consuming chore so thanks to Keith Smith, the former forum owner, we started a Library on the forum where the IBOKs could be downloaded free by members with 10 or more posts. This worked well and recruited a lot of new members for a couple years, however I had to pull them off the forum in November of 2009 due to copyright issues. I then rewrote the IBOKs, added a bunch of information, photos, etc and consolidated like models (all DA models, all SA models, and Mk Series) and published "Ruger Gun Guides" that were about 50 pages each. These were copyrighted, printed in hardcopy, and sold on the forum (non profit) to again encourage forum membership.

Although it was a lot of work on my part, this went pretty well for about a year and gave this old fart something to do in his spare time. Printing costs went up, postage went up, and sales went down. I also got a couple hundred dollars worth of bad checks. Additionally, I got stuck with more than $1500 worth of Gun Guides so I made a command decision to cut my losses and quit sellingicon1.png them. I got rid of the existing stock at local gun shows. That was just over 2 years ago and I haven't had any more printed since then. I'd like to think the IBOKs and Gun Guides had a little something to do with forum growth ... but now that forum membership is growing by leaps and bounds, I don't think they would still serve the intended purpose.

BTW, the Forum Library is still going strong and is located at the top within the "NCO CLUB". Members need 10 or more posts to access it ... in fact if you have less than 10 posts, the Library is not even visible. I have posted more than a dozen articles plus several charts and references, as have other forum members. These are all a free downloadicon1.png and because they are not copyrighted, they can be shared with others.