22 mag ammo choice

Looking for good 22 mag ammo. I'm using the cci 40gr hollow points now and they aren't doing the job. The only coyote I've shot with it done the spins and ran off like his ears were on fire and his butt was catching. It was a straight on chest shot that should have buckled him. The other was a fox and if I told that story nobody would believe it anyway. So here's my question. What 22mag ammo have you used on game, coyote size and down, that seems to work the best? I know shot placement is key but I feel the cci's are either too light or are not staying together long enough to do maximum damage.

at the moment 22 mag ammo is whatever you can find!!  I have seen almost zero for the past year. 

22 mag has a bad habit of expanding poorly...  I would test whatever you have to see if it expands at all.   Try to find some "self defense" ammo that will expand out of a snub nosed pistol, and it has a better chance to work.  Maybe the hornady crit defense or crit duty for example... ?    Or some sort of soft point?   Also, you might try a 50 grain bullet, out of a rifle that might get better penetration than a lighter round.

• Like 1

You got that right about the 22mag ammo being hard to find jonnin. I have been looking for it for over a year and What I have I am afraid to shoot. I have everyone I know on the lookout for it and I tell them if they find it buy it and I will refund them their money + a tip  for their help. ...........jmho 

Choice?  Seriously, you have a choice? 

If you have patience and time on your side I guess you will have a choice.  If you need it now, well, I guess brand X is the best there is, brand X is the most expensive, actually brand X is the least expensive there is compared to "nothing else", and brand X performs the best compared to "nothing".

Choice?  Seriously, you have a choice? 

If you have patience and time on your side I guess you will have a choice.  If you need it now, well, I guess brand X is the best there is, brand X is the most expensive, actually brand X is the least expensive there is compared to "nothing else", and brand X performs the best compared to "nothing".

Yea , that is why I told all my scouts out there that if they see it buy it. They said do you want me to call you first and I said no call me after you bought it to let me know you got some.......................... :up: :up:

Edited by bersaguy
My gun likes the Winchester Super X the best, but they are hard to find. I have had good luck with them, but haven't shot much other than hogs and squirrels. The hogs were all close head shots. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

I'm not worried about finding ammo. At some point it will come back and I have to make a decision. Do I want to keep the gun and find a better hunting round OR do I sell it and buy a 300 blackout barrel and shoot fox and coyote with a suppressed subsonic round. I bought the 22 mag just to use in small areas where the noise from a large caliber rifle might cause panic.