What flashlight for weapon mount? (Shotgun) AA Powered

I am a little embarrassed to say this but I assumed that my Streamlight Protac 2L would fit in this Fenix weapon light mount I just purchased. Well the mount just arrived and needles to say it doesn't. The mount takes around a 1" light and has a small spacer if needed. The streamlight is around 3/4". Now to the question:

What is a good choice for a light around 1" diameter. I know Surefire is worth the money but I just don't want to pay that much for one. I like the streamlights and hear good things about Fenix. I have my eye on the Fenix TK12 but I am worried with all the modes that light has that it will get to complicated. I don't plan on using a pressure switch as the mount will have the tailcap of the light right at my left thumb. The light will need to have a tailcap button though.

I would like to stay in the $60 or less range if possible (ebay prices). The main concern is needing one that will hold up to the recoil. I know in that price range it's limited but I'm sure it can be done. The Protac 2L would work fine if not for the size.

EDIT: I am now looking for a AA powered light.

Edited by maroonandwhite

I understand the money issue, I really do.

IMHO for home defense I don't skimp on what I'll be comfortable with and quality. I saved up and got the Surefire forearm and light for my Remington 870 HD 12 gage. I'm glad I did and didn't try a save a buck. Well worth the investment and saving for.

Pressure switch on the forearm, easy to operate controls, etc. Just saying...

I've bought several lights from Greg at Greg McGee Engineering. They're outstanding lights. Not made in USA but Greg is the sole US distributor and does the warranty service for them. Get in touch with him and he'll set you up with something affordable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIv5jijARA&feature=youtube_gdata_player Edited by jcj
[quote name="Citizen_B" post="1088126" timestamp="1388703944"]I've been happy with the Streamlight Polytac on my HD 12 ga.[/quote] How much shooting have you done withy it on the gun? Did it handle the recoil fne? Sent from my iPad using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]
[quote name="jcj" post="1088147" timestamp="1388705877"]I've bought several lights from Greg at Greg McGee Engineering. They're outstanding lights. Not made in USA but Greg is the sole US distributor and does the warranty service for them. Get in touch with him and he'll set you up with something affordable. Thanks. I'll shoot him an email today. Also thanks for the PM. Sent from my iPad using [url="[URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]"][url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/url] Edited by maroonandwhite
[quote name="Dennis1209" post="1088141" timestamp="1388705172"]I understand the money issue, I really do. IMHO for home defense I don't skimp on what I'll be comfortable with and quality. I saved up and got the Surefire forearm and light for my Remington 870 HD 12 gage. I'm glad I did and didn't try a save a buck. Well worth the investment and saving for. Pressure switch on the forearm, easy to operate controls, etc. Just saying...[/quote] Well I'm not totally opposed to that idea if it is absolutely nessecsary but at the moment I am going to try to find something to fit this bill and wallet haha. If I did end up going for a more expensive light I'd still probably want a handheld to go on the mount. I just can't stomach the price for that forearm. Plus it won't fit my gun without more parts. Sent from my iPad using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

So I just got done doing alot of reading on candlepower forums and alot of guys seem to like this Ultrafire 502B so I ordered one. Now before I get blasted for buying a cheap light let me say that I don't have any intentions of using this as a primary light. :cool:  I mainly bought it ($10 shipped) to train with until I get a better light. Who knows though, if it stands ups to 100 or so rounds with zero (and I mean zero) issues then it might just do the job. It's worth a shot.

I really like the Surefire G2 idea but I'd have to buy a clickie tail cap for it which puts me in for even more money. I am not interested in the remote switches. Just something for me to rip off or hang on something.

It seems like the main thing to look for in a light is that is has a spring on both sides of the batteries rather than just on one end. Can anyone say if the Polytach is like this?

Edited by maroonandwhite

Make sure you use a high quality 18650 battery in that light (or any light that uses LION batts). The super cheap cells can be dangerous.

That's actually what I am researching now. The seller says that you can use two CR123's but the 18650's show 3.7 volts. The CR123's are 3 volts each. What gives?

That's actually what I am researching now. The seller says that you can use two CR123's but the 18650's show 3.7 volts. The CR123's are 3 volts each. What gives?

That's correct. The operating range for the flashlight is probably something like 3.6-9v. You'll get more watt-hours out of a single 18650 though. The dual CR123s might be ever so slightly brighter at max (or not, depending on the electronics in the UltraFire light).  The 18650s are the better deal since they're rechargeable.

That's correct. The operating range for the flashlight is probably something like 3.6-9v. You'll get more watt-hours out of a single 18650 though. The dual CR123s might be ever so slightly brighter at max (or not, depending on the electronics in the UltraFire light).  The 18650s are the better deal since they're rechargeable.

Yeah i'd rather not push the voltage rating either. Any recommendations on the brands I should look at?

Yeah i'd rather not push the voltage rating either. Any recommendations on the brands I should look at?

I've had good luck with Tenergy cells. I have about 8 of them that I've been rotating through lights for a while now. They seem to be 'as advertised' for capacity and retain a charge well.  The "AW" brand is supposed to be the best, but they're expensive.

I really like the Surefire G2 idea but I'd have to buy a clickie tail cap for it which puts me in for even more money.

Why do you need to add a clickie tail cap?

You can always twist a G2 to have constant-on... but constant-on with a weaponlight is bad juju.

Edited by dcloudy777

Why do you need to add a clickie tail cap?

You can always twist a G2 to have constant-on... but constant-on with a weaponlight is bad juju.

I think I'd just like to have the option of clicking it to constant on if needed rather than having to twist. Half a push for momentary full click for on. I may find that I don't like that with this cheaper light though and go for a remote switch.

Rather than changing lights, what about a different mount?   I'm using the Protac 2L using an Elzetta mount.   I've got three of the Protac 2L's and I love them for the value.   See my link below.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/36818-870-hd-shotgun-elzetta-light-mount/?hl=elzetta

Well I actually looked into that but buy the time I spend $40 on another mount I could have put that towards a Polytac or a G2. Also I am actually really fond of the mount I have. It's all metal and just seems really well built. It is the Fenix ALG-01.

That does look like a nice mount though.

It seems like the main thing to look for in a light is that is has a spring on both sides of the batteries rather than just on one end. Can anyone say if the Polytach is like this?

The Polytac only has springs on the tail cap. I didn't even know you could have a spring on both ends. Good to know.

I run orbtronics or AW ... Most "good" batteries will use Panasonic cores.... Yes they are pricey but you get a very well made safe battery

Also a good charger is needed ... The nitecore v2 intellicharger is great and affordable Edited by mcordell

Thanks mcordell. I think my plan right now is to use CR123's in this cheap light I am getting and possibly try to find a AA powered light. I have alot of smaller lights on AA and AAA and it'd be cool to standardize to that. Add in all of the reading I have been doing about not using 18650's on weapons due to the recoil possibly damaging the protection circuit and it has me a little nervous.

The biggest thing I discovered last night while testing the gun/light combo out at home is that I don't want an incredibly bright light. Definitely no brighter that the Protac 2L I have. On high it almost disorients me as much as it would an attacker. My wife is fond of mirrors everywhere and we all know what mirrors do to light.

So let's shift gears here; Can anyone recommend a good 1" diameter AA powered light that will take recoil abuse. I am looking for around 150 lumens probably.

Just wanted to post pics of the ultra fire light I purchased. Seems like a solid light and runs well on cr123's. The clickie button seems solid and while it is a reverse clicks it's still easy enough to just push it again with my thumb. Gonna have to play with it to get it the right distance but I figure the further frontwards the better so I don't hit it by accident. jy9u8yqu.jpg2uva2eny.jpg

I've got a few from Streamlight, Surefire, Fenix...but I like my Ultra Fires too. I put that same model on a Mossy 500 to see how it would hold up. I only ran about 100 rounds with it mounted but it held up just fine. To be honest I was surprised it didn't fail.

I put a Fenix TK15 (I think that's the model) with a pressure switch on it that works great but I'm wanting to get a Surefire forend. Edited by jimmydeuce

[quote name="maroonandwhite" post="1090298" timestamp="1389028993"]Just wanted to post pics of the ultra fire light I purchased. Seems like a solid light and runs well on cr123's. The clickie button seems solid and while it is a reverse clicks it's still easy enough to just push it again with my thumb. Gonna have to play with it to get it the right distance but I figure the further frontwards the better so I don't hit it by accident. jy9u8yqu.jpg2uva2eny.jpg[/quote] What mount is that?