Bonnie Parker's Colt to be auctioned off in Knoxville

Erik88

Guest TankerHC

Bonnie Parker never carried a gun according to one of the men who ran with Bonnie and Clyde, W.D. Jones

Bonnie was the only one Clyde trusted all the way. But not even Bonnie had a voice in the decisions. His leadership was undisputed. She always agreed with him when he ' hinted he might like to hear her advice on something. As far as I know, Bonnie never packed a gun. Maybe she'd help carry what we had in the car into a tourist-court room. But during the five big gun battles I was with them, she never fired a gun. But I'll say she was a hell of a loader.

One time she did pick up Clyde's shotgun and threaten him with it. He'd said something to me because the jack I was using to change a flat tire kept slipping. Clyde thought it was taking too long. Bonnie come to my side and held Clyde at gun point. He turned around and walked off. When 'a car stopped and the driver asked if we needed help, Clyde told him. "Hook 'em. We don't need nobody's damned help." The heat back of us was getting close 'enough to put Clyde on edge at anything. I finished changing the flat and took the shotgun from Bonnie so Clyde could come back to the car. We'd been drinking white lightning, and you know how that is. Clyde wasn't a heavy drinker. There wasn't time, and he needed to stay alert. But he liked to nip some. When he did, Bonnie would sometimes have to coax him back in the car. She'd tell him, "Come on now, honey. The laws might be right on us. Please, honey, come on. Let's get moving."

Good article by W.D. Jones, had to look it up again. Several guns from Clyde have come up for auction on Rock Island Auctions, always went for big money.

http://www.cinetropic.com/janeloisemorris/commentary/bonn&clyde/wdjones.html

Edited by TankerHC
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TankerHC
Kind of like all of the 1911 Ithacas that come up. Several have sold for 50-75000 only to be proven fake. A couple that sold for upwards of 100,000 were called out on the 1911 forum and turned out to be fake.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

That is about the fourth gun to com up in the most recent years stated as being one of theirs, I am always skeptical.

They carried a bunch of guns.  Like the others auctioned in previous years this one has provenance.  It would have not sold for that price otherwise.

It's not like buying something from some gunshow jackass.

Guest TankerHC

They carried a bunch of guns.  Like the others auctioned in previous years this one has provenance.  It would have not sold for that price otherwise.

It's not like buying something from some gunshow jackass.

Plenty of guns like this sell on Rock Island Auctions daily for this and more, sometimes upwards of a million. More than a few times, some of those guns were proven fake AFTER the transaction had been completed. I have read a lot of books by people who ran with people like Clyde, Floyd, Dillinger and gangsters of that era. The only two guns Clyde always had with him was the BAR he stole from the NG Armory and a Winchester sawed off 12 gauge. Everything else was basically considered disposable. You are right, he had a lot of guns. Many times for no more than a couple of hours. Like the gun he took from the first cop he killed, drove down the road, pulled over and threw in the woods. Or the Thompson he took from a treasury agent, and left at his cousins house, that he never used.  I think I would take W.D. Jones word for it, Bonnie never carried or used a gun, except maybe the 20 guns she carried and used that have come up for auction. 

Edited by TankerHC