DPMS feeding issue.

I have a DPMS Oracle and the rifle fired great until now. I have maybe 300 rounds thru it. I took it to the range and it wouldnt feed the next round. Took it apart and cleaned and lubed everything. Still no dice. I did notice some smoke coming from the front gas block. It still fires just fine, but it is not loading the next round and isnt ejecting the casings as well. Could there be something wrong with my gas system?

.... Could there be something wrong with my gas system?

Certainly a possibility, if losing gas pressure would produce the symptoms you mention ("short stroking")

Looks like Oracle has railed gas block. That look like yours? It is pinned or use bolts? Is it loose, can you wiggle it by hand?

223RFA3-OC.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It is almost assured to be a gas related issue.

Make sure the gas block is not loose or has not moved at all. Second I would check the gas key to make sure it is not loose. In all likelihood the gas block has moved.

One more thing, have you fired any 22's using a conversion kit? Sometimes lead deposits can partially, or totally, block the gas block and tube.

And one more thing to check is you cam pin. They can crack and this can cause some resistance.

Have you done any modifications to the gun since the last time you had it out? You would be surprised what can cause problems.

Certainly a possibility, if losing gas pressure would produce the symptoms you mention ("short stroking")

Looks like Oracle has railed gas block. That look like yours? It is pinned or use bolts? Is it loose, can you wiggle it by hand?

223RFA3-OC.jpg

- OS

Same rifle. Everything seems fine.... Its driving me nuts.

To help confirm under gassing:

Put single round in mag. Fire while looking at ejection port.

What angle does shell eject? How far does it go? Does bolt lock back on empty mag?

- OS

It ejected some forward and some normally. The bolt goes back, but other times, it wont even eject.  And every gun smith in the area has a mile long waiting list.

Try answering my questions and I might help you out.

I am trying. This is my first ar and I am new to all the parts. I took it to a friend and he completely stripped it down, Saw how everything was spotless, added more oil to a few areas that I didnt oil enought, and the damn thing still woudnt chamber the next round. We check the gas block and everything seemed alright. He even check if the barrel was seated properly. Hes taking it to a gunsmith for me. I still need to learn how to break down an AK and a C93... Doing one thing at a time.

And we tried a 3 different mags that he had and the shells ejected normally, but it still would not feed the next round. 

Edited by RC3

I am trying. This is my first ar and I am new to all the parts. I took it to a friend and he completely stripped it down, Saw how everything was spotless, added more oil to a few areas that I didnt oil enought, and the damn thing still woudnt chamber the next round. We check the gas block and everything seemed alright. He even check if the barrel was seated properly. Hes taking it to a gunsmith for me. I still need to learn how to break down an AK and a C93... Doing one thing at a time.

And we tried a 3 different mags that he had and the shells ejected normally, but it still would not feed the next round. 

If a C93 is like a G3/CETME, they're pretty simple, just don't rush it. AK's? If a nine year old in some cave in a desert can do it, it'll be a cake walk for ya. Watch youtube vids, they'll get ya the info you need.

It is a gas issue.

The only other thing is ammo. Are you shooting Wolf/Tula ammo?

Mostly federal, only shot brass out of it.

You don't think it could be a mag issue?

We tried 6 different mags so far. From all metal to polymers and they all performed the same. All the mags worked fine on his rifle but refused to chamber the next round on mine.

See my first post and the OP has yet to chime in.

I have no deal what a properly place gas key looks like, my friend check it and it seemed fine. He even check the gas pipe to make sure it wasnt clogged.

I assume your silence on the matter means there were no modifications? Swapping lowers, swapping buffers or springs, bolt carriers?

How does the cam pin look?

Have you shot any 22's through it with a conversion?

The only modifications to the rifle was a front tac rail and a red do. Other than that, the lower and the upper are both original on that rifle. I also did not try different uppers and lowers with it.

I have a DPMS sportical.  When I first got it, it had feeding problems, or actually extraction problem, it would not pull the spent shell out of the chamber, so of course it would not feed.  I replaced the extractor and put this little o-ring under the extractor, and it has run very well ever since-maybe 2000 rounds? Good luck!  Google-Fu should bring up a youtube video on how to take the bolt apart.

I have taken the bolt completely apart and cleaned everything. Also took out the firing pin. I just have no idea what each individual part is. Might have to go get a poster or something with all the different parts.

I agree with Dolomite, it's gas. I know your friend looked at it, but you need to inspect your gas block (it's right in front of the handguard). See if you can tell how it's attached. Look for bolt heads or a pin that could be driven through the lower portion of it running from side to side. Grab onto it with your hand and see if you can wiggle it. It's possible that it's shifted over time and it will feel like it's tight at first touch until you put some pressure on it It sure sounds like it's off center causing the gun to be under gassed, which is why the carrier isn't going back far enough to pick up the next round. Just as an FYI, this is what a properly staked gas key looks like if you take your bolt carrier out eje5y5a6.jpg The sides of the carrier have been punched over on top of the bolts so that they can't back out and become loose. That's why we asked if yours is staked correctly

Edited by KKing

Sounds to me like it's over, not under gassed, basically it's cycling to quickly & not allowing the spent cartridge enough dwell-time in between ignition & extraction.

An H2 buffer should clear it right up.

And what can cause the gun to go from being fine to over gassed?

Going from fine to under gassed is pretty easy to do but fine to a point where there is too much gas is pretty hard to do.