Murphy's Law at Firing Range

Vistar

So, I acquired a great looking pre-safety Marlin 336 with Nikon scope. Took it to the Loudon Co FOP range this afternoon. The scope was pretty far off the paper, so it took about 45 rounds to put it on the mark. Started at 50 yds shooting at a target stapled to a picked up "Lose Weight Fast" real estate-type sign (my personal roadside beautification effort) then moving to 75 yds and then 100 yds - climbing the little hill through plenty of muck. Got the scope and rifle dialed in on the spot... then the scope popped off the rail - scope was new - rings with quick release were old and the quick release worked too well. Rats. 30-30 rounds are becoming hard to come by.

I noticed that 30-30 is getting scarce when I was looking for .35 Rem for my 336. Sucks to hear about your scope. Do you have iron sights on it? That's all I use on mine just to keep it a light weight brush gun. Great shooting gun, probably the favorite in my arsenal (and only paid $100 for!).

Yep. There are classic iron sites. The scope is fine, but I'm sure more range time will be needed to re-dail and the quick release wing nuts will be replaced tonight with torqued down allen bolts. Wish I had $100 in this one. More like $350, but as you say, it's an outstanding rifle and a very accurate shooter. Glad to have it and plan to use it as often as possible to put meat on the table.

So, I acquired a great looking pre-safety Marlin 336 with Nikon scope. Took it to the Loudon Co FOP range this afternoon. The scope was pretty far off the paper, so it took about 45 rounds to put it on the mark. Started at 50 yds shooting at a target stapled to a picked up "Lose Weight Fast" real estate-type sign (my personal roadside beautification effort) then moving to 75 yds and then 100 yds - climbing the little hill through plenty of muck. Got the scope and rifle dialed in on the spot... then the scope popped off the rail - scope was new - rings with quick release were old and the quick release worked too well. Rats. 30-30 rounds are becoming hard to come by.

I don't mean to hijack but is that the range right next to the jail? Is it open to the public?

There is no need to go through that much ammo to sight in a scope.  Set the dials on the scope dead in the middle and shoot at a target at around 15 yards.  You should be on the paper. Get your windage close then move out to 50 yards and set your elevation.  Move out to where you want the rifle zeroed at and make your final adjustments.  I've used as little as 2 rounds to sight a new scope in before.

• Like 1

You do realize that the sign you picked up wasn't yours. May not seem like much but stealing is stealing regardless of the amount and someone paid for that sign. Just because it is in a public place doesn't mean you can do with it what you please.

Guest Lowbuster
I've been looking for that Murphy that hijacks every bodies life. If I ever see him, I'm doing every body a favor and going after him with extreme prejudice.

There is no need to go through that much ammo to sight in a scope.  Set the dials on the scope dead in the middle and shoot at a target at around 15 yards.  You should be on the paper. Get your windage close then move out to 50 yards and set your elevation.  Move out to where you want the rifle zeroed at and make your final adjustments.  I've used as little as 2 rounds to sight a new scope in before.

Lever guns ain't quite like bolts guns.

2 rounds is simple at 50 yds with a bolt gun.

1. Big blank target with a black dot

2.pull the bolt, look down barrel and center it on the dot.

3.without moving rifle adjust sights to near center and squeeze one off.

4. Recenter rifle dead center on target then without moving the rifle again move the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

5. Squeeze one off and it should be within the spread of that particular manufacturers bullet, probably a within a 1/4 inch at 50 yds.

Note. you may see a larger spread with .22lr's due to distance and manufacturers bullets specs. All .22 love they're one bullet to shoot great. 

The average 10/22 shoots 1/2 in or more at 50yds.

Also, most mil rifles have a 2 MOA group at 100 yds, using irons sights. That includes mausers, 1903's, Mosen's and the like. If you do better with 

mil spec ammo. cool!

Edited by Lowpower

This Kim and Kanye target works great for zeroing a rifle
No windage adjustment needed no one ever misses. unfortunately it won't make them leave the entertainment industry, but ya sure can fantasize. I heard Taylor swift uses this target w her airsoft mini gun. !!! Enjoy!!
4e8u7y4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Edited by Dustbuster

I noticed that 30-30 is getting scarce when I was looking for .35 Rem for my 336. Sucks to hear about your scope. Do you have iron sights on it? That's all I use on mine just to keep it a light weight brush gun. Great shooting gun, probably the favorite in my arsenal (and only paid $100 for!).

If you get a chance and know anyone who has full buckhorn rear irons sights give those a try. They act like a poor man's peep sight. 

They would look kinda like this although this doesn't do it justice. (_-_).

The buckhorn makes an almost perfect rear aperture circle. All ya gotta do is put the circle on the target, then check front center is dead center and squeeze it off.

I use it on .45 LC  1873 Lever Gun and it shoots within 1.5 inches iron sights for me at 100 yds which imho will knock down any deer I wanna shoot.

AND....I see the deer and get a very fast acquisition of the sights to make the shot.

Lever guns ain't quite like bolts guns.

2 rounds is simple at 50 yds with a bolt gun.

1. Big blank target with a black dot

2.pull the bolt, look down barrel and center it on the dot.

3.without moving rifle adjust sights to near center and squeeze one off.

4. Recenter rifle dead center on target then without moving the rifle again move the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

5. Squeeze one off and it should be within the spread of that particular manufacturers bullet, probably a within a 1/4 inch at 50 yds.

Note. you may see a larger spread with .22lr's due to distance and manufacturers bullets specs. All .22 love they're one bullet to shoot great. 

The average 10/22 shoots 1/2 in or more at 50yds.

Also, most mil rifles have a 2 MOA group at 100 yds, using irons sights. That includes mausers, 1903's, Mosen's and the like. If you do better with 

mil spec ammo. cool!

That's the whole point of taking the first shot at 15 yards.  There is no need to pull the bolt and the shot will almost always be on paper at that range with the windage and elevation adjustments in the middle.  From there complete your steps 4 and 5 and you are good to go. 

• Like 1