Midsouth Marksmen AEDC Long Range Club Match 1/26/14

I went out this morning to Arnold AFB in Tullahoma to hang out with some TGO members competing in the long range (1000 yard) match. Had a GREAT time (even though it was chilly this morning, and the wind had teeth) and met some really cool people. Here are some pics I took of the festivities. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

DSC_0030_zps4fd2c41e.jpg

DSC_0031_zps582c4efe.jpg

DSC_0045_zps96a71cd1.jpg

DSC_0042_zps913cee9d.jpg

DSC_0043_zps49c3fe03.jpg

DSC_0044_zps334f6e12.jpg

DSC_0049_zps9aa6340f.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsde5529d8.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsbef6f0e7.jpg

DSC_0038_zpse5c50162.jpg

DSC_0046_zps715127e8.jpg

DSC_0048_zps6bf7a5a3.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible. 

Never use a 16" barrel at a 1,000.

Shoots lights out at 500 hands down. But I just don't have the velocity at 1,000. I'm only at 2525 FPS. She's yawing and tumbling trying to really stretch herself to 1,000.

Lets just say, the 20" barrel is going on before I head to another match. No matter what.

Horrible. 

Never use a 16" barrel at a 1,000.

Shoots lights out at 500 hands down. But I just don't have the velocity at 1,000. I'm only at 2525 FPS. She's yawing and tumbling trying to really stretch herself to 1,000.

Lets just say, the 20" barrel is going on before I head to another match. No matter what.

Yea I was afraid that was going to hurt you at 1000.  Might be OK for a mid-range 600 yard match.

Are you going to put a can on that rifle?

Yeah, when one comes back in the mail…

I have a quick attach can for the 16" barrel that mates to it (designed for the barrel) that I'm waiting on. But I also have a SDN6 that should be here shortly. So, It'll at least have a can on it whether it be the can designed for the short barrel or the SDN6. 

Oh, it'll be more than OK at 600 yards. It's perfect for that. Ask Dusty or Darren. :)

Here is the can that was designed for the 16" Bartlein barrels I'm waiting on:

[URL=http://s95.photobucket.com/user/eat7thirdythree/media/image_zpse0ed4cd9.jpg.html]image_zpse0ed4cd9.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s95.photobucket.com/user/eat7thirdythree/media/image_zps6e8503d7.jpg.html]image_zps6e8503d7.jpg[/URL]

Edited by 173rdABN

Even w/ a 24" last year, I was only at 2650 FPS with a 175g .308. Was still supersonic at 1,000 but not where I wanted it to be.

Went to a 30" this year using same load was over 100 FPS faster. 

173rdABN, your going to have one HOT load w/ a 20" barrel to shoot 1,000 and be supersonic at the target. Where are you now for powder?

I'm only at 43.5 grs RL15. I have some to play with still. The quality of the barrel really helps as well. I mean I'm getting 2525FPS out of a 16", so getting to 2600 shouldn't be to hard theoretically with the same load, maybe a little hotter. My 18" barrel gets to 2300 FPS with that load. Funny how a quality barrel can really make a difference. 

FWIW, I have shot 45 grs RL15 so far. Little sticky with some flat primers. Wouldn't really like to shoot those again to say the least. But, I didn't get pressure signs tell 44.5gr and that was 1 in the 5 I shot. So, I'm confident I have another grain to play with before I cant go any further. 

Edited by 173rdABN
Hey 173rd.

I was pulling your target that day. Sorry you had so much trouble. It can make for a long day. I know we did spot a few hits on the target but now I'm not sure they were yours. They looked too small to be 30 cal. Possibly a crossfire.

Whoever was on the first relay did some pretty good shooting and was one of the fastest shooters I've pulled targets for. Do you know what he was shooting?
That was Clint. I think it was a 243 if my memory serves me right. It was a 243 ackley improved actually. Yeah Clint was fast to say the least. He was apparently having a bad day only shooting 193-196's. Bummer for him... Ha.

I need more velocity is all. I'm not to worried about it. It was my first time shooting that gun past 500 and my first f-class match. I'm just happy I went and learned as much as I did. I'll get my barrels changed and another load worked up, plus better equipment and I'll be golden.

Have you tried any 155 lapua scenars?

I have a 1:10 twist on both my barrels so I don't think those would be my best bet.
  • 2 weeks later...