Confessions of a TSA agent

Saw Tom Ridge speak at a conference just after he left his post as first DHS Director. He commented that most of the things put in place like the color code system and screeners were just to put the public at ease and get people flying again. That comment has stuck with me.
  • 2 weeks later...

TSA is all about making it look like there is security, rather than actual security.  And it also makes the American people used to handing over their papers and allowing their personal items to be pawed through upon demand.  Just twenty years ago, the idea of being forced to allow such infringements in order to travel was appalling to most Americans.  Before 9/11, there was no law requiring you to identify yourself in order to fly.  Most airlines tried to say there was a requirement in order to prevent reselling and gifting of tickets which caused a loss of revenue.

Prior to 1968, there were no laws preventing firearms on aircraft.  The Postal Service actually ENCOURAGED pilots to go armed to protect airmail.  There were no successful hijackings of US commercial aircraft before Congress stepped in.  After Congress passed a law requiring people to be unarmed on airliners, hijackings and killings skyrocketed.

Gee, I wonder why that happened?  Just coincidence?  I don't think so.

Any time someone demands that you go unarmed, it not for YOUR benefit.

• Like 1
My profession requires heavy air travel and as a result I know many heavy air travelers. Most folks would be surprised to learn what makes it through security on a daily basis. And I'm not referring to any criminal intent, just things people forget in their carry on. If most common folks inadvertently bring things through by accident without detection imagine how easy it would be for a prepared bad guy...