Ak sights

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about a front or rear iron sight or an optic like a red dot? 

Sorry, I should have clarified. I want to add an optic or a scope. I love ak's but I am not a huge fan of how the stock sights are set up on it.

Be aware that putting a scope on an AK comes with a little drama. Not like slapping a sight/scope on an AR etc. I have read that the side scope attachment point sometimes are not properly aligned with the center line of barrel. I understand that the Ultimak gas rail with an Aimpoint micro works pretty good but never used it. I have checked all this stuff out and have decided to keep the AK iron sight setup as originally designed. Good Luck. Let us know what route you go and how it works.

Edited by Blitzen

Troy also has a rail system coming out that looks promising and there is another new one that I cant remember. I will try to find it.

ETA-Found it, Krebs UFM rails.

I have a TWS and a couple ultimaks. I prefer the Ultimak over the TWS. And I just dont like the look of the Midwest industries, and other, rail systems. THe lower rail never matches the square receiver on AK rifles. But looking at the Krebs and Troy they look like they will match up with the receiver much better. I like the looks of the Krebs better plus the top rail comes off easily to remove the gas tube. But the Troy top rail is lower and you can keep your cleaning rod on the rifle unlike all the other rail systems out there. The Troy doesnt look quite as low as the ultimak, but pretty close.

Krebs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyUfASaztg

Troy, skip ahead to 2:25 for the ak rail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZNIIac_rk

Edited by Superman

I'm a huge fan of the TWS. Proper cheek weld. really long sight radius (using peeps), and it puts the weight in a more balanced position than the Ultimak. The Ultimak sits a little lower, but I don't like that it replaces the gas tube, subjects you optic to all the heat of the AK, and puts all the weight out front.

I also like the traditional side mount, especially when it is one of the lower versions like the Midwest Industries. https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=433

Will the TWS will work on a 74, and what about a .308 saiga?

Yes. The receivers are the same. By the way if you get a peep sight go to Kel-Tecs page and order their aluminum windage adjustable peep sight. Far better than the TWS, cheaper, and is windage adjustable. http://www.keltecweapons.com/su-16-and-su-22-rifles/su-16-parts/su16b-365-rear-peep-sight-b-model/

Here is a .308 with the Midwest mount. I opted for that on the .308 because I felt it was more stable with a heavier bodied variable optic and I could use shorter rings.

IMAG1359-1.jpg

Here is a Draco SBR I had with the TWS. It was phenomenal with the peep sights and the Bushnell TRS-25 co-witnessed with the peeps (shown with Vortex SPARC w/ADM mount, does not co-witness). Rock solid.

IMAG1088.jpg

MAK90 Milled with TWS and TRS-25 co-witnessed.

Mak90-1.jpg

Edited by Smith

Yeah, you kind of sold me on the TWS.

Yes. The receivers are the same. By the way if you get a peep sight go to Kel-Tecs page and order their aluminum windage adjustable peep sight. Far better than the TWS, cheaper, and is windage adjustable. http://www.keltecweapons.com/su-16-and-su-22-rifles/su-16-parts/su16b-365-rear-peep-sight-b-model/

Here is a .308 with the Midwest mount. I opted for that on the .308 because I felt it was more stable with a heavier bodied variable optic and I could use shorter rings.

IMAG1359-1.jpg

Here is a Draco SBR I had with the TWS. It was phenomenal with the peep sights and the Bushnell TRS-25 co-witnessed with the peeps (shown with Vortex SPARC w/ADM mount, does not co-witness). Rock solid.

IMAG1088.jpg

MAK90 Milled with TWS and TRS-25 co-witnessed.

Mak90-1.jpg

You sold me on the TWS. I wasnt too interested in the peep sight, but seeing all those rifles and how the scopes you mounted on them look.