Found this in my Grandfather's toolbox

MemHeli

My Grandfather served in the Navy during WWII.  He witnessed testing of the a-bomb from his ship.  I found this shell in his tool box while going thru things yesterday.  From the research I've done, it appears this matches up with a 20mm anti-aircraft gun they Navy was using.  I also read that they didn't find the round to effective against the Kamikaze pilots, so around 1944, the 20mm was being replaced quickly.  Anyone have any more info on this shell?  I wonder if he brought it home from the ship?  There is also a lot number on the shell, I don't have that photo.

cepz.jpg

Edited by thesquirrel
  • Like 1

It looks intact, not drilled, and still has a primer on the bottom.  So I guess it's live.  Would love to know more about it…  I've looked online for lot number info, but not finding anything.  It's a serious chunk of metal for sure!

Edit: After more research, this thing doesn't look like any 20mm ammo I'm finding online.  

It's not like these http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/20mm3.jpg

Or these from WWII http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/20mm2.jpg

Or these WWI http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/20mm1.jpg

The bottom of the shell is distinctly different, and the overall height is a lot shorter.  I'm thinking maybe a tracer round or something.

Edited by thesquirrel

DO NOT SHAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It likely has an internal "firing pin" that hits an internal primer when it impacts. If you shake it the primer might go off and take a hand, or more, with it. As the projetile hits something the "firing pin", which is at the rear, moves forward and strikes the internal primer which causes it to detonate.

I remember hearing about a lot of the spotter rounds doing this if they were shaken too hard.

Here is a cut away of something similar:

cutaways15001.jpg

Agree its a 20mm Oerlikon that has the US Navy gray color code marking of a HE tracer.  I think it has never been fired as the driving band (brass ring at bottom) is not engraved with any rifling.   Appears to have an MK26 percussion fuse.  I never liked walking up on anything that looked like it had a fuse.

I would consider it live until some Bomb Disposal folks told me otherwise.

Recommend that you move away from it.  Call 911 and tell them that you have found what appears to be an Unexploded 20mm HE warhead from WWII.