Reloading area in garage

New reloader here.

I am setting up a reloading area in my garage. It is insulated, but no heat or AC.

For those that reload in your garage, is it OK to store powders and primers in the garage or should they be stored inside?

I moved here from CO, where it was VERY dry and you never worried about moisture, rust etc..... so I am not sure what to expect with respect to dies (rust), powder, primers etc.... 

Any suggestions or what your experience has been would help out, thanks.

Edited by TNSean

My reloading equipment is in the garage as it has been for over 30 years.  I haven't had any problems with it there other than my wife has the strange idea that a garage is for her car.

You too!  My wife wants her parking space back.

just a little off topic, but I like that handle, I did that one time with a propane griddle that I was trying to light.  I bent over to look at what was going on and I finally got it to light but with a big poof of flame, and instantly, poof no eyebrows and the hair on my head was smoldering, whew what a day.   

and on another note I also reload in the garage but have been using a another propane heater to warm it when it has been extremely cold with no problems, but I do happen to have about five pounds of silica beads that I keep near in little baggies that I have poked holes in with a needle to absorb any moisture and keep one in the tube for the powder drop. I pull that one out every time I go to load and so far things have been good.

Interesting. I've had trouble with rust on the steel bits in my (non-climate controlled) garage over the last few years. However, I'm not entirely sure if it was caused from normal humidity or from the pool chlorine I was keeping in there (Calcium Hypochlorite, which is a pretty strong alkaline). I've since moved the chlorine outside, so we'll see what changes.

Nice to see some fellow Californians here. What part of CA were you in? I spent quite a bit of time in So.Cal. (Huntington Beach, and then in the Valley Center / Escondido area).

We were in Lake Elsinore, about 40 mile up the 15 from Escondido, we would run down there every now and then if the was a broke down vehicle, we owned a mobile repair service as a part time gig for a few years, then everyone wanted to move here and give it a try.

Interesting. I've had trouble with rust on the steel bits in my (non-climate controlled) garage over the last few years. However, I'm not entirely sure if it was caused from normal humidity or from the pool chlorine I was keeping in there (Calcium Hypochlorite, which is a pretty strong alkaline). I've since moved the chlorine outside, so we'll see what changes.

Nice to see some fellow Californians here. What part of CA were you in? I spent quite a bit of time in So.Cal. (Huntington Beach, and then in the Valley Center / Escondido area).

Yep.  That will do it.  Rusted up a bunch of my tools before I figured it out.

• Like 1

We were in Lake Elsinore, about 40 mile up the 15 from Escondido, we would run down there every now and then if the was a broke down vehicle, we owned a mobile repair service as a part time gig for a few years, then everyone wanted to move here and give it a try.

Lake Elsinore... I loved the motocross track there! I rode there a few times when I was in Corona for classes at Race Tech. Welcome to TN!

As for the rust issue, a light mist of WD-40 (or some on a rag) will work or what I've found works great it's machining oil. I have some for my lathe and mill and use it on anything metal that may be left idle for a while.