Joined the two wheeled crowd

Spots

You guys are talking about smallers bikes. I can honestly say thay riding dirt bikes my whole life has made the change to riding street bikes much more fun, and probably safer. I already knew the basics and can divert more attention to my surroundings and driving instead of constantly hunting gears, looking for the brake lever, etc. Plus it helped me already know not to fight the bike on gravel and other surfaces, etc. I think a lot of people under estimate the fun of a small bike whether its dirt or street.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

Having a background in dirtbikes has saved my hide many times on the street.  I've owned a lot of different kinds of bikes from Ninja 250s to GSXR 1000s, I have a DRZ400SM that I bought new in 2008 that has a permanent home in my garage, though several bikes have come and gone since I bought it.  You just can't ride that bike without getting a smile on your face.  It's near impossible for 600s and 1000s to keep up with in the tight stuff as well.

I did the opposite and rode street (sport) bikes for 15 yrs before getting a dirt bike. It's been quite the adjustment as (nearly) everything is backwards now. But I can certainly see the benefits of riding in the dirt.

I had my DRZ and a CBR600 at the same time for a while.  It wasn't a big deal to go out to the garage pick one and go ride.  However, a few times I let a trusted friend ride with me and we kept swapping out, DRZ to CBR was no big deal, but going from the CBR to the DRZ you felt that you were 10 feet in the air, it was very odd.

I learned the hard way to never open my mouth while riding. 

Although having rode a bike in my youth - it was nothing big, and had been ~25 years.  I was shaky at best.

So - day two of new bike, I take off down Pellissippi Parkway and met a junebug at about 75mph.  Right in the center of my forehead!  Ordered a new full face the next day.

And thank God for the gyro effect on big bikes (and a straight part of the road).

Heres a better pic. So far Ive pulled and stored the windshield and bags, changed the oil, cleaned it up, added a new battery and fixed the turn signals. Future plans include shaving tbe air boxes off, possible hard tailing it with hand forged struts, and a pan solo seat, as well as shorty megaphone exhaust. .

20140302_104334_zps955822bd.jpg

Tapatalk ate my spelling

I plan to commute on it. I rode it everyday last week to work, even when it hit 17 degrees. I did 194 miles on it Saturday up 27 to winfield, tn, then back down 27, caught 116 below wartburg, and went all the way across 116 into Lake City, then caught Dutch Valley back in Oliver Springs. Ive ridden hard tails before and they don't bother me much. As far as ditching the windshield and bags, I can always add them back, but the windshield was annoying me and I wasnt using the bags.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

That hard-tail, saddle, and shorty pipes will get old after about 10K miles.

Mine is lowered about 4" (semi-hard tail - *very* stiff suspension).  Rides like a rock compared to our Nomad.

I had shortie V&H on it, but eventually went with RoadHouse 4" 2n1 to mellow it out (too many headaches at the end of trip).

I commuted 365 for about 5 years all total about 50K miles (I have heated coveralls & gloves).  Coldest day was 13F.

Hopefully, will commute again soon.

My next bike will be stock pipes & suspension.

That hard-tail, saddle, and shorty pipes will get old after about 10K miles.

Mine is lowered about 4" (semi-hard tail - *very* stiff suspension). Rides like a rock compared to our Nomad.

I had shortie V&H on it, but eventually went with RoadHouse 4" 2n1 to mellow it out (too many headaches at the end of trip).

I commuted 365 for about 5 years all total about 50K miles (I have heated coveralls & gloves). Coldest day was 13F.

Hopefully, will commute again soon.

My next bike will be stock pipes & suspension.

Yeah, you have to remember I'm young and dumb, and still like the loud and cool stuff lol. And I got a tough back. Thats why I had planned on hard tailing with struts and keeping all stock components. That way if I decide its not for me I can swap it back stock. I didnt know they made heated coveralls, off to google I go.

Tapatalk ate my spelling

I didnt know they made heated coveralls

Heated grips are awesome, too, and I keep meaning to install some. For the moment, I have a set of insulated ATV / snowmobile hand covers that go over the whole grip, and you put you hand into them while riding. That & insulated gloves do me pretty well through the winter. For me, the key is to always have a windproof layer on the outside of my clothing, over everything else. Otherwise the forceful cold wind filters through all the insulating layers underneath. I have a set of motorcycle-specific Gore-tex rain covers that work great.

Edited by NashvilleStage