FMJ, SP, HP...Which is best for All Purpose in an AK?

I just got my first AK-47 and as I was shopping for ammo, I realized that I had no idea which one to buy for all purpose use. I want to have plenty on hand for not just plinking, but also self defense and hunting if needed. I was going to go with HP's, but then I thought "what if it has feeding problems?" I wanted to order 500 rds. to start off with and I didn't want to get stuck with something that would have feeding issues....as I've read that HP's sometimes do. So then I was torn between SP's and FMJ's. To be honest, I don't really know the advantages/disadvantages between the two. So, I basically took a shot in the dark and ordered 500 rds. of 125 gr. Barnaul SP's, along with 60 rds. of Federal Power Shok SP's to keep in the gun for home defense.

So, what do you guys think? If I want to stockpile some ammo for the AK, and I want it for plinking, self defense, and hunting......which would be best? FMJ, SP, or HP? Also, which bullet weight would be best, 125 gr. or 154 gr.?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AK's are great weapons for short range stuff (out to about 200 meters).

they're powerful and if they're not accurate enough, they make up for it in the ability to walk the rounds into the target.

I would go with FMJ, since that's what the weapon was designed for.

154 gr. definitely. the more weight, the harder the hit on the target.

most folks don't hunt at ranges longer than 100 yards or so anyway, so you don't really have to worry about the accuracy-at-range thing.

oh..and I'm REALLY gonna make you jealous...

this is a buddy of mine...back when we were young and thin and bulletproof.

Johnwithguns.jpg

Tower,

Love the pic! :)

Where were you guys when that was taken? Is that crate I see over on the left full of AK's too?

we were on the al-dibdibar plain, in southern Iraq.

yah. that bunker had a ton of ak's and rpg5's in it. (rocket propelled grenade launchers..kind of like a bazooka).

ahhh youth!

those were real, honest to goodness RUSSIAN ak's.. no yugos, or czech weapons.

*sigh

one of the guys brought back some russian nightvision goggles.

I brought one of those back, and a makarov. (dont ask how..it required vaseline, duct tape and lots of tin foil)

I fired the ak ONCE (it was full auto and there wasn't any way to make it into a semi auto) and then got rid of it...I'm too small to go to prison...

LOL!

After testing, I concluded that the "golden tiger" brand ball ammo is darn good stuff...its probably about as consistent as anything made in the US velocity wise for ball, its very accurate for the price. Wolf remains pretty bad, but it goes bang. A good second choice is probably anything from brown bear...but i haven't tested it more than running a few rounds to see if it went bang. I've read good stuff about it though.

In terms of stockage, I don't think it's going to matter much. I bought a few K of the golden tiger, FWIW. I did pick up a 500 rounds of 154gr wolf, but i haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Prior review here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9644&highlight=golden+tiger

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70below

Well, I would definitely go with soft points for general purpose SHTF. Generally speaking SP's feed well, are plenty accurate, and are the best choice for killing a target whether it be paper or manimal. The reason soft points are not used for military purposes are due to their destructive properties that don't exactly adhere to treaties. That said, If I could affort a great number more FMJ's than i could SP's, I'd load up on what I could afford and it the S really did HTF then I'm more concerned with putting rounds down range.