Online Application for Handgun Permit

The Department of Safety Handgun Permit Office has started a program for online submission of a handgun carry permit application, effective immediately.  The web page is https://apps.tn.gov/handgun/.  Applicants should visit this page before taking the required training class.  They submit essentially the same application they used to, but it is done online instead of on paper.  At the end of the application submission they are given a confirmation number which they should provide to the school they select in which to conduct their training.  School results (written exam results, shooting results and final pass/fail) are also reported to Nashville via Internet by the school.  If the student requests a course completion certificate the school can print one, but a certificate is not required as the student can just present a code number at the driver's license station and all their training results will be available to the person accepting the application.  There have been no changes in the course curriculum, just the online processing of the application.  Schools may still process students in the old manual process for students who do not have computer access or otherwise don't fit into the online application process, or if there is some sort of system failure for the online process.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completed mine a couple weeks ago, and did the online application. I actually didn't know about it before I took the class (I've had the HCP before, figured it was still a paper thing), but he told me about the online app, and on one of the breaks during the class portion he let me in his office to do on his computer. Didn't know it was this new though.

App is online, carry permit class pass/fail status is updated online. Still have to make DMV visit to show birth certificate/take picture/pay fee, then go online or call to schedule appt for fingerprints. I did DMV and fingerprints on the same day, background check completed and application approved in 8 days, 6 days after that received permit, so 14 days total, including weekends. Lot faster than last time I did it a few years back, back then they really pushed the 90 day limit. That was a long wait.  

As for benefits, well for one you can also use the same page to check the status of the application.  

Edited by JDH

I completed mine a couple weeks ago, and did the online application. I actually didn't know about it before I took the class (I've had the HCP before, figured it was still a paper thing), but he told me about the online app, and on one of the breaks during the class portion he let me in his office to do on his computer. Didn't know it was this new though.

App is online, carry permit class pass/fail status is updated online. Still have to make DMV visit to show birth certificate/take picture/pay fee, then go online or call to schedule appt for fingerprints. I did DMV and fingerprints on the same day, background check completed and application approved in 8 days, 6 days after that received permit, so 14 days total, including weekends. Lot faster than last time I did it a few years back, back then they really pushed the 90 day limit. That was a long wait.  

As for benefits, well for one you can also use the same page to check the status of the application.  

Maybe the new method is faster. That would be a good thing.

It was pretty handy, nice to have a checklist to look at, and see exactly what's been completed and what needs to be done, and whether the background check has been completed. Doesn't have detailed information for the background check, just pending/approved you'll receive it within 10 days. I checked it every morning cause I was curious to see how long it would take.

I was a little surprised it took so long to receive it in the mail, mail shouldn't take that long from Nashville but maybe they only mail them out a couple times a week or something. 

At least it's a start in the right direction... what they really need to do is implement online renewal/duplicate permit applications, like drivers licenses.

Don't understand why they didn't initiate this program with renewals to begin with-- they've already got qualification/certification information and fingerprints on file for most renewal applicants.

Edited by tartanphantom

Concerning the 10 day delay between new HCP approval and receipt, as I understand their process, once they approve your application for a new handgun carry permit, the handgun office sends the information to the "permit farm".  I assume the permit farm is somewhere in the Nashville region.  The document itself (along with all Tennessee drivers' licenses) is produced at this facility and put in the mail.  I'm sure that step adds at least a day or two to the whole process. 

I did the paper app in January and got my permit via mail in about 10 business days.....pretty quick service, I would say......

10 business days after I submitted in at the DL office here in Chattanooga, that is.

This equates to warp speed for a bueaurocracy don't you know...... Edited by Gliderman166
  • 1 month later...

My came in 8 business days after doing the DMV and Fingerprinting.

I checked the app status online 3 days after the DMV/Fingerprinting and it was approved. 

I took the course back in October and procrastinated the final steps until a few days before my application expired. I was pleasantly surprised by the DMV experience. I went down to the Columbia DMV and had maybe a 2-3 minute wait before I was called up. Good thing I had submitted my app online during the CCW course. Due to the really short wait time I would not have had time to complete the paperwork. The clerk was very nice and knowledgeable about the process. She even pointed me to a fingerprinting location that was on my way home.

Edited by 1madss