Different kind of car... 84 mpg, $6800

Since I'm bored today, I spent a little time reading up on these cars? motorcycles? Apparently, there are none for sale, the company is taking deposits on "build tickets" at $1000 each.  They recently announced that production will be pushed back to the first quarter of 2015, specs are quite fluid on the site, as they are still in prototype testing.  The car hasn't completed any certification tests, and it's unclear whether most states will classify it as a car or a motorcycle, important as to whether helmet laws will apply.  The abandoned GM factory where production is supposed to occur hasn't yet been outfitted or set up for a line, no workers have been hired or trained yet.  From what I can gather, this company has quite a way to go before they will have any product to sell, at any cost.

So according to what you posted they want folks to send them $1000.00 bucks on a promise that they will build you a product that at the present time does not exist, has no plant in which to make the product, has no employees to work in a plant they don't have and they have pushed production back to 2015?  Well then I have some Ocean front property about 50 miles due south of Nashville for sale at $1000.00 an acre................ :rock:  :rock: 

Guest TankerHC

So according to what you posted they want folks to send them $1000.00 bucks on a promise that they will build you a product that at the present time does not exist, has no plant in which to make the product, has no employees to work in a plant they don't have and they have pushed production back to 2015?  Well then I have some Ocean front property about 50 miles due south of Nashville for sale at $1000.00 an acre................ :rock:  :rock:

Thats how we have inexpensive 3D Printers coming to the private market today. 

Edited by TankerHC

Since I'm bored today, I spent a little time reading up on these cars? motorcycles? Apparently, there are none for sale, the company is taking deposits on "build tickets" at $1000 each.  They recently announced that production will be pushed back to the first quarter of 2015, specs are quite fluid on the site, as they are still in prototype testing.  The car hasn't completed any certification tests, and it's unclear whether most states will classify it as a car or a motorcycle, important as to whether helmet laws will apply.  The abandoned GM factory where production is supposed to occur hasn't yet been outfitted or set up for a line, no workers have been hired or trained yet.  From what I can gather, this company has quite a way to go before they will have any product to sell, at any cost.

I am sure that if they do get close to actually putting these on the road for something near the advertised price then one of the established car companies will buy them out and either shut them down or 'redesign' the vehicles so they can charge $20,000 for them.  That is if the car industry lobbyists give their pet congressmen the nod to go ahead and allow them to legally be on the road in the first place.

Guest RebelCowboySnB
Lost of companys have sprang up building something like that over the years. The reason you see it alot is cause non cars are not regulated like cars. Just by dropping one wheel government regulation bottom's out doing the same for production costs. It kills sales though cause most state require a class M license an a helmet.

Lost of companys have sprang up building something like that over the years. The reason you see it alot is cause non cars are not regulated like cars. Just by dropping one wheel government regulation bottom's out doing the same for production costs. It kills sales though cause most state require a class M license an a helmet.

Actually there are only 5 states will require Elio drivers to wear a helmet with 12 more requiring it for drivers under a certain age (17,18 or 21).

As for the deposits to reserve an elio you can pledge various amounts from $100 to $1000 in both refundable and non refundable deposit types. the non refundable deposit holders get their orders filled first but all deposits net the buyer more off the purchase price than the initial deposit amount.

I can remember friends of mine that parked their bikes and bought Geo Storm cars because it got better gas mileage, had a windshield, AC and the Geo had only a slightly lower crash survivability rate than their motorcycle.

IF I lived somewhere where I didn't have to go as far as I do now, I'd look at one of these.  I'd be more surprised if it get off the ground.  The Fed's have wanted us walking for years and I'm sure they will find a way to make this thing go away.  JMHO

Edited by TerryW
Guest TankerHC

I can remember friends of mine that parked their bikes and bought Geo Storm cars because it got better gas mileage, had a windshield, AC and the Geo had only a slightly lower crash survivability rate than their motorcycle.

I liked the Storm. Wouldn't have bought one but thought they were cool little cars.

But I also liked the Gremlin and Pacer. The Pacer especially after seeing Black Magic run at Capital Dragstrip.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2