Hog Hunting Questions

Guest Whitfed

There's a moderator named skypup on the sig 556 forum that's always taking down huge Texas hogs using a sig 556 rifle w thermal gear and or nv. He usually posts pics of what he's hit, and stats on what he used if that'll help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Skypup is the king of hog hunting with a 223, which is not Cruel, unlike some think on this forum. He is very willing to share his experiences and his luck with the 70gr Barnes TSX bullet that will lay a hog done as fast any round out there.

There is a long dedicated post to this topic on m4carbine. Hogs are very destructive animals and there are numerous ways to knockem out.

I shot a 175lb boar in Florida while it was coming at me with my .308 with Remington 168gn coreloks.  Hit him close to center spine just above the front shoulders at less than 3 feet and it kinda made him mad.  I was really surprised it did not put him down!  While he was busy trying to get to my ankles, the outfitter killed him with a knife.  Very interesting critter to hunt.  He hunts you back.  Correct shot placement is the key.  Horsepower helps. 

Guest Whitfed

I shot a 175lb boar in Florida while it was coming at me with my .308 with Remington 168gn coreloks.  Hit him close to center spine just above the front shoulders at less than 3 feet and it kinda made him mad.  I was really surprised it did not put him down!  While he was busy trying to get to my ankles, the outfitter killed him with a knife.  Very interesting critter to hunt.  He hunts you back.  Correct shot placement is the key.  Horsepower helps. 

Shot placement is key.  They have a very thick armor around the should, and the high velocity of a 223 with bullet like a barnes TSX will cut through like butter, but you better hit a lung or behind the ear.

No offense, but this is a pretty lame statement. I suggest you do a google search for "m4carbine Barnes TSX 70gr" and see how hard these tough critters hit the ground. Personally, I could care less if these destructive rodents get gut shot my a 50 cal and have a slow death. They are a menace to this country and TN Wildlife needs to get their heads out of their asses. Punish the guys transporting the animals not us law abiding hunters.

Where did that come from???? EVERY KILL REGARDLESS OF THE PREY SHOUD BE FAST AND CLEAN.

I have taken many hogs with a bow and also a rifle, my Fav is my 41redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel.  and I did drop on at 100yrds with a 223 while ground hog hunting Be very careful when cleaning They carry a parasite that will give you a killer stomach virus. With that said.......its some of the best meat you will put in your mouth. Take the ribs and smoke them for 4 hours at 185 using ground corm cob and sassafras  remove from the smoker and but on the grill on high heat lightly covered with Baby Rays BBQ sauce leave on just long enough to kinda crystalize the sauce. Don't worry about side dishes, LOL you wont need them :yum: :yum:  :yum:  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a reason our arm forces use this caliber.

Hogs have a hell of a lot thicker skin and bones than people. Especially the cartilage shield on the big boars. Not saying a .223 won't do the job...just not the ideal caliber. If you don't make that perfect hit, you have a much greater chance of wounding the animal and losing it. I hate to see an animal die a slow death and not be utilized by the hunter.

Edited by GoneBallistic

Y'all are welcome to argue about caliber choice all you like, but keep in mind there are various hunting styles when it comes to hog hunting. If the hunter is hunting over bait, which is legal in many states where hog populations are high, then it take far less gun to result in a clean kill. If the hunter is on the ground, spot and stalk type hunting, then carry a big bore thumper. I have hunted both ways. Hunting over a corn pile is more akin to grocery shopping for me. Not that I am opposed to it, but it isn't that difficult of an undertaking. You can sit in a blind, 40 yards off the pile, steady rest and ensure clean kills with smaller caliber guns. Walking through palmettos and kicking up a big angry sow is a different story. If you haven't hunted in palmettos in a pine forest, then you may not fully understand the limited sight distance involved. I've had hogs pop up at less than 10 yards on many occasions. I want a big bore pistol for those hunts. 

• Like 2