Trauma Medicine for CCW May 24-25 Chattanooga Area

Suarez International

TRAUMA MEDICINE FOR THE CCW OPERATOR
May 24-25, 2014
Price $350
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Instructor: Randy Harris

This revolutionary class is directed toward the Private Citizen who may have never even taken a first aid class and certainly doesn't consider himself to be a medically trained special operator. Instead, he is someone who realizes that, just as with his shooting skills, he needs to have skill to help save someone's life, perhaps his own, in the aftermath of shooting or other traumatic events. We call that man the "CCW Operator". He doesn't have a trained medic nearby. He must show the same self-reliance that got him through the initial incident. 

This will be a very thorough introduction to how to evaluate and treat gunshot wounds, stab wounds and other traumatic injuries. We will do a great deal of technical work to ingrain the correct skills and then work them extensively via practical training, including force on force exercises. This is a non-live fire class, no live ammo or weapons! There has never before been training and information like this offered to the general public.

SOME TOPICS:

• Massive bleeding. What are the options? We will look at everything from direct pressure, to tourniquets, to blood clotting agents. Do you know how to use a tourniquets? How about putting one on yourself, one handed?
  • Do you know how to open a person's airway, in various positions?
  • How to splint broken limbs, using real equipment and improvised materials.
  • How do you move a person to safety, if he can't walk?
  • Can you do all this, while maintaining tactical awareness, appropriate movement and shooting back?

This is one of the hottest classes available to civilian operators!

DURATION: 2 days TIME: 8:00AM to 5:00PM (Range location is on Central Time) AMMUNITION: NONE. Bring airsoft pellets and C02/gas etc. YOU NEED TO BRING: Spare clothing appropriate to the weather. Lunch, snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day. Baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape). REQUIREMENTS: Force on Force gear: airsoft pistol with the necessary gear (pellets, facemask, holster, extra mags, protective clothing etc) all of which are available athttp://www.onesourcetactical.com. You will be practicing some FoF airsoft drills, eye and face protection mandatory! Bring your primary concealed weapon and gear for dry practice drills but no ammo on training site. CLOSEST AIRPORT Click here for nearest airports NOTES:  

For more info and to register....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....anooga-tn.aspx

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

This one is coming up in about 4 weeks.....Don't miss this opportunity to learn life saving skills. Winning the fight is just part of the equation. There are no guarantees that you or one of your loved ones won't be injured in the fight. Knowing how to keep them alive is something to learn in advance...not try to figure out in the moment.....

Hope to see you there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of weeks to go on this one.  This class is different than anything in the industry. No one else runs their med class in conjunction with FOF where you have to win the fight and then treat the injuries you sustain in the fight. Come be a part of this and be that much more prepared for surviving real world confrontations !

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • 2 weeks later...

I first off want to say Thank you to Randy for another outstanding class. And Thank you to Brian for allowing use of his incredibly beautiful property and hosting this class.

Two of my friends and I drove down for the 2nd day of the class. Unfortunately we were unable to make Day 1.

Point of View: I have been in health care for 41 years. (Navy Corpsman and R.N. ER/ICU). One of my friends is an ER Physician and has had one other professional training class. This was a first for friend #2.

It was an excellent and very well presented class. Randy’s knowledge, communication abilities, and teaching style are top notch.

I appreciate the “crawl-walk-run” methodology Randy utilizes, forming a solid foundation upon which to build.

This class was an excellent intro into Self Care and Buddy Care and is solidly set in the TC3 (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) concepts and is especially well tailored towards to civilian gun owning, and carrying, population.

Finish the fight.

“The best medicine on the battlefield is fire superiority.” Capt. Frank Butler U.S.N.

Assess for additional threats. Self assessment. Assess your buddy. Initiate Self Care and/or Buddy Care.

“Killer B’s”…Bleeding and Breathing.

Carry a gun? You might want to consider carrying a Tourniquet (TQ). And learn how to apply it…and practice under stress. Randy can make that happen and he dispels the many myth's and taboo's regarding TQ use.

Direct Pressure. Wound packing. Have the gear...own the skill.

Breathing…it’s a fundamental requirement for life.

We all, as members of our community, need to have a basic understanding of simple techniques like "head tilt/chin lift" airway positioning.And familiarization with a device such as a NPA (NasoPharyngeal Airway) and it's appropriate use.

FOF:

A good stress inoculator is Force on Force using airsoft guns in a controlled and well scripted learning environment.

I’ve trained using Simuntion rounds before, so I have a frame of reference when I say that current production Airsoft guns can be extremely useful and a great learning tool.

They are much more effective than I recalled, as my bruises will attest to.   :cool:

I carry a small personal BOK or Blow Out Kit in my right hip pocket. It contains a TQ (currently a CAT), a stripped down Emergency Bandage or Israeli Military Bandage, a pair of non-latex gloves, and a triangular bandage…it’s a small kit, about the size of my wallet, except the CAT. It’s comfortable, and comforting.

The exposure to the various types of TQ’s, and their self application under stress, made me glad I choose the CAT.

I don’t know the statistics, but very few gunowners see the value of training and avail themselves of the wonderful opportunities such as Randy provides our region.

Even fewer, markedly fewer, see the value of learning truly life saving skills such we were taught in this class.

It was a genuine honor to meet and train with such good folks. You guys are an asset to your families and to your community.

Thank you again Randy.

I look forward to training with you again Sir.

Edited by prag
I would love to attend a class like this. I am BLS, ACLS, and ATLS certified but being able to apply those skills under the stress of a shooting scenario would be a whole different game. Edited by dats82
Guest neiliam

I also was fortunate enough to attend the second day of this course.

I've never trained with Randy and I can say that his teaching methodology is excellent.  He can see what each student needs and effectively fills that need. Randy teaches you in a calm, relaxing way that gives you time to process the information being presented and truly learn.

As a trained medical professional, I still learned a great deal and I can attest that the information presented was up to date, effective, and absolute a must.

My eye openers:

1) Why do people spend time, energy, and money on courses that teach you to shoot and believe they are prepared? It is egotistical to believe that the "bad guy" doesn't have a chance to get a vital hit on you.  In today's environment, the "bad guys" know how to shoot.  They know to go center mass, to get off the "X", and how to create the highest number of casualties.  I understand one trains because they believe that the possibility of an event occurring (whatever the scenario may be) is real.  Yes, chances are you can end the fight, but do you know what to do after the shots have been fired? Are you prepared to watch a loved one, friend, an innocent bystander, or even yourself bleed out in the aftermath? You do not need to be a medical professional to give life saving care to a casualty.  You just need to have some basic knowledge and to have practiced the needed skills.

You wouldn't rely on calling police for your protection, why do you believe EMS is any different.  There are far less ambulances patrolling or parked than there are police cruisers. Arrival times can be truly excessive; there is just no way to have an ambulance everywhere they are needed. I can tell you that in Baton Rouge, we had 8 ambulances running most nights with 4 of them parked outside just our one hospital (There were 5 major Hospitals in the Baton Rouge area) bringing in patients, it didn't leave much coverage for others.

2) Force on force - If I ever need to draw my gun, the likelihood of me being shot or injured is high.  Out of the 10 scenarios I participated in, I was shot in over half of them.  The same went for all of those who participated.

3) I have to carry, at the very least, a tourniquet.  Training and skills are one thing, you must also have tools.  I believe that brining a tourniquet of some sort should be a requirement to attend a course and that 5-10 minutes of every course should go over the application of such a device.

My thanks to Randy for helping shore up some of my weaknesses. It was truly a pleasure to meet the others who attended.

I hope to attend another course soon.

It's going to be hard to add to what's already been said, but I'll give it a shot.

Training with Randy will help bring weakness to light, both in yourself, and in your gear.

I have been getting by on the first aid training I had in the Boy Scouts in the 80's and 90's. This class helped me to realize that I need more than just basic first aid if I am going to carry a gun and be active in shooting sports.

We talked about tourniquets and how to properly apply one (I had done this in scouts) but then we put it to practice with a timer. Randy would have us do malfunction drills with our pistols and then apply the TQ to an injured limb. (We never did that in scouts) Everthing I've learned before was about taking care of others, this was about taking care of others and yourself. Putting a TQ on your right arm by yourself isn't easy and takes some practice.

My favorite part of the class was the force on force with the airsoft pistols. Randy didnt have us just running around shooting at each other, once you were hit you had to apply what you learned to treat yourself or your buddy.

I would highly recommend this class as it was a real eye opener to me.

Thanks Randy, it was a pleasure to meet you again.
  • Like 1