Start hanging on to your 5.45x39...

It, and I mean 7N6, has been reclassified and has now been banned for importation. Apparently some company made some AK74 pistols a while back and you know what that means... Hang on to your AK-74 loving butts. This message has been brought to you by the BATFE, f***ing firearms owners since 1972.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/alert-atf-bans-import-of-russian-7n6-5-45x39-ammunition/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDFXe5kMWQ

Edited by whitewolf001

They still import lead core, no?

They still import commercial 5.45 but the military stuff was awesome because it was SO cheap. It's one of the only calibers that's slightly more expensive to shoot than .22LR and quite cheaper than 5.56 or WAS rather...

Edited by whitewolf001
Guest semiautots

Importation of all Chinese ammo is banned.

- OS

My statement was that you can still buy it for around 75 cents a round, not that it wasn't banned.  Gunbroker is loaded with it.

I got the last case of 7N6 a few weeks ago, so I will start unloading my mags :down:. Where will I find cheap 5.45x39 now?

You can still get it cheap for what the prices are, just not 7N6 cheap. Roughly $.26-.40 seems to be the going rate on the interwebs. $.64 per if you want Hornady... 

Edited by whitewolf001

You can still get it cheap for what the prices are, just not 7N6 cheap. Roughly $.26-.40 seems to be the going rate on the interwebs. $.64 per if you want Hornady... 

I have the a box of the hornady. Still dont know what is so special about it. Other than a fragmenting tip. And for some reason, I went in and removed all the ammo from the little boxes. And now its biting me in the ass. Found a can for $209. Meh, might as well get it.

Edited by RC3

Went ahead and ordered another case. So now I will sit on 2160 rounds of 7N6. So much for it being cheap and easy to find ammo.

Consider it an investment, the Chicom steel core 7.62 used to be REALLY cheap like the 7N6, now, not so much... Think of it as collection ammo item. :p

Consider it an investment, the Chicom steel core 7.62 used to be REALLY cheap like the 7N6, now, not so much... Think of it as collection ammo item. :P

Great, my 74 just became a safe queen. So much for me wanting to go shooting with it :shake:

Like I said, just stick to commercial ammo, you'll live albeit with a lighter wallet. ;) Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

Yup, see plenty for under .30/round. And that has already just been bumped up from cheaper. I imagine it will settle in at 7.62x39 price after a bit, probably a bit less since it's not as widely used.

- OS

......such sadness. I was so happy when I picked up that rifle and a spam can of ammo the same day. Went in and got a bunch of mags, extra furniture....and now it will sit. At least, I will keep the corrosive stuff in reserve, so thats good news I guess.

For what it is worth.

https://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

Rumors have been circulating that last two days that the BATF has stopped the importation of steel core 5.45×39 ammo. After reading this news on social media, I’m sure many of you fired up your browser and gave Google a thorough workout trying to find a copy of the official BATF letter that gives the smack down to cheap 7N6 ammo… and like me you were probably unable to find such a letter.

That’s probably because such a letter doesn’t currently exist

But continue reading.

They are making it sounds like the rule is NOT in place yet, but they are just sitting on the form 6's trying to get a rule in so they can officially do this.  Government run amok and over stepping like normal.

For what it is worth.

https://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

But continue reading.

They are making it sounds like the rule is NOT in place yet, but they are just sitting on the form 6's trying to get a rule in so they can officially do this.  Government run amok and over stepping like normal.

So in other words, more panic buying?

Is it worth it to just sit on the ammo? Since using it means that we cannot get anymore. I ordered another can, but sitting on 2160 rounds is going to drive me nuts after a while. 

So just buy Barnaul or Wolf (probably Barnaul too) if you don't want to shoot the 7n.

One thing about all ammo, regardless of the reasons, I've never seen any of it get cheaper over time.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1